2005 Jetta Oil Change - Where is oil plug?

yogieric

TDI
None Yet
There's this stupid plastic thing covering the bottom of my car. I guess the plug is under there. Why do they do that? Anything special I should know before I try to remove it so that it is easy to put back?

I take it the oil filter is that canister just under the dip stick? Any tricks removing that hunk of plastic covering the engine?

Manual also says to drain the water. This is from a diesel water separator? It is also under the big plastic thing covering the bottom of my car? Will it be easy to identify? Any tools I'll need for it?

Has anybody used a drill saw on that plastic thing to make the oil plug easier to get too for future oil changes?

Thanks,
Eric

2005 Jetta TDI 5-speed Triptronic - 4700 miles

menchi

TDI
00' Jetta GLS (silver)
whoa, I suggest you go through the FAQ's very carefully and read them there is alot of well documented how to's on servicing your machine. to answer your questions you will need a tourque bit to remove the skid plate on the botton which I hear is used for engine temp regulation and protects the oil pan. or you can use a pella oil extractor which is featured in the how-to videos there is a link at the top of the page. the oil filter is a cartrige which you can get from any local VW dealer or www.dieselgeek.com, www.impex.com, tdiparts.com, you can remove the cover with most oil filter wrenches. the rest is pretty standard, just make sure you use the correct oil, I suggest rotella, there is an entire section in the forum devoted to lubes, goodluck.

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
The oil changes aren't that bad. I've got an '05 tiptronic TDI too and I'll be approaching my first oil change. I used to have an '00 Golf TDI and for the most part, changed the oil myself.

You will need a torx bit (T-20 I think for the skid plate - not sure though). You should go ahead and buy a set of the security style torx bits. I've found it to be easy just attaching one to a rechargeable drill in taking off the skid plate. If you choose to do it from down under you can also check around down there to make sure everything is in order.

OH! and you have an '05 so it has to have 505.01 oil. The dealers sell it and there are some other brands distributors sell too - check the fuels and lube section. The filter cap should screw off pretty easily. Then you just drop the new filter in. There are two seals on the cap, one small, one big, that come with the new filter. I didn't always change these on my Golf - others do it religiously.

Carelful with the drain plug. I think it has a torque spec of 11-13ft./lb.s. Remember you're screwing metal into aluminum - so snug is good, not too tight. Maybe 1/4 turn past finger tight if you are not using a torque wrench.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
just make sure you use the correct oil, I suggest rotella,
I don't believe that Rotella is a 505.01 spec oil and 505.01 is what VW says to use under threat of voiding the warranty.

Other than that there is lots of info in the links up along the top of the page.

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
You need a 25 torx to get off the plastic skid plate, and a 19mm wrench to loosen the oil plug. To get under the car you need a rhino ramp. You need 505.01 oil cheapest that I've found is at http://store.yahoo.com/ltbmotorsport/mooemspoi.html due to free shipping for orders over $100. The fuel filter is on the top of the engine like the oil filter. Most skip the draining procedure and just replace it every 20k miles.

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 (A4), Platinum Gray
Manual also says to drain the water. This is from a diesel water separator?
Eric- Go the Pela route. It's easier and you can also drain some of the oil remaining in the oil filter housing.

The water draining is accomplished by removing the fuel filter and turning the valve on the bottom to drain any accumulated water. Watch the "How To" video at the top of the site. It will walk you thru the entire procedure.

yogieric

TDI
None Yet
I found the videos by searching google...
http://pics2.tdiclub.com/video/cincitdi/

Very nice! I think I'll do the pela pump thing. Just one thing... my 2005 jetta doesn't have the three nuts to remove the plastic thing on the top of the engine. It has one in the back (same as video) and some kind of rubber things on the left and right that I think I'm supposed to snap off or something. Any suggestions on what to do on the left and right without breaking anything would be helpful.

Thanks, Eric

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 (A4), Platinum Gray
There are 2 posts in the front to which the rubber bushings on the cover snap onto. Just lift up until these disengage. Make sure you remove the dip stick first. When you lift, a rubber fitting holding the dip stick tube (orange) will come up over the tube. Then pull the cover forward. The rear of the engine cover has a "C" fitting which fits between 2 rubber bushing in the rear. To re-install, just do the reverse.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon