Intake manifold

El Jimador

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
Hello tdi club, I was just wondering if anyone has experience with egr/intake cleaning in the 2005 Passat? Is it easy to take off the manifold myself? Just asking because I noticed that cold starts, rpm isn't constant. It drops a little bit then comes back up but once it's warm there's no issue. I'm pretty sure egr is clogged up but may as well clean both right?

Thanks in advance peeps

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Hello tdi club, I was just wondering if anyone has experience with egr/intake cleaning in the 2005 Passat? Is it easy to take off the manifold myself? Just asking because I noticed that cold starts, rpm isn't constant. It drops a little bit then comes back up but once it's warm there's no issue. I'm pretty sure egr is clogged up but may as well clean both right?

Thanks in advance peeps
It wouldn't be too hard to clean, the EGR cooler is a bit hard to get off, the one bolt is a bit of a pain to get to... But, I'm going to guess that the problem you are having isn't a dirty EGR valve/manifold. The EGR valve is pretty easy to take off, you can inspect it pretty easily.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

El Jimador

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
It wouldn't be too hard to clean, the EGR cooler is a bit hard to get off, the one bolt is a bit of a pain to get to... But, I'm going to guess that the problem you are having isn't a dirty EGR valve/manifold. The EGR valve is pretty easy to take off, you can inspect it pretty easily.

What about the intake manifold then is that hard too? I mean, I may as well since the car has over 200,000 km on it. Idk if it's ever been cleaned or not.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
What about the intake manifold then is that hard too? I mean, I may as well since the car has over 200,000 km on it. Idk if it's ever been cleaned or not.
The bhw isn't like the alh that had the issues with the intake getting carboned up. Mine has 220k miles and has never had the intake cleaned that I know of, and it's pretty clean still.
But, in order to remove it, you'd have to pull the EGR cooler, which is made difficult because of the one bolt that is right behind the turbo actuator. Then there are 6 (?) Allen bolts that hold the intake on. You'll want to remove the air filter and filter housing to get room to get in there.

El Jimador

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
The bhw isn't like the alh that had the issues with the intake getting carboned up. Mine has 220k miles and has never had the intake cleaned that I know of, and it's pretty clean still.
But, in order to remove it, you'd have to pull the EGR cooler, which is made difficult because of the one bolt that is right behind the turbo actuator. Then there are 6 (?) Allen bolts that hold the intake on. You'll want to remove the air filter and filter housing to get room to get in there.

Alright thanks. I'll just check the egr first. Tbh I'm just looking for stuff to do cuz I'm bored. I used to have a 98 ahu Jetta TDI which I got pretty knowledgeable about. Now we have this and I don't know much about it

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
If you still have an automatic transmission and you are bored then change the fluid in it.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Oh? Why that of all things? Doesn't new fluid ruin a transmission if it's almost never been changed?
No, that's an old Farmers tale...
Volkswagen says that the fluid is "lifetime" fluid, but their definition of that is about 100k miles. It's a bit of a pain to change the fluid and filter on the Passat, but it's a good maintenance item to get done.

You can clean the intake if you want, but it probably doesn't need it.

El Jimador

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
No, that's an old Farmers tale...
Volkswagen says that the fluid is "lifetime" fluid, but their definition of that is about 100k miles. It's a bit of a pain to change the fluid and filter on the Passat, but it's a good maintenance item to get done.

You can clean the intake if you want, but it probably doesn't need it.

I'm just thinking that because we used to have a Toyota Highlander. We changed the transmission fluid and reverse gear wouldn't catch properly, it would randomly jerk. However on this Passat, I've noticed in 2nd or third gear, while accelerating, the rpm drops by like 150. And it's just normal city acceleration and it does that. Why? Is it the TC?

Mozambiquer

TDI
I'm just thinking that because we used to have a Toyota Highlander. We changed the transmission fluid and reverse gear wouldn't catch properly, it would randomly jerk. However on this Passat, I've noticed in 2nd or third gear, while accelerating, the rpm drops by like 150. And it's just normal city acceleration and it does that. Why? Is it the TC?
The reason that many people say that changing the fluid will damage the transmission is that often it's done just before the transmission goes out and it just goes ahead and finishes up. Either that, or the wrong fluid is used.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Did you replace the fluid in the Highlander with genuine Toyota ATF or with just some "equivalent"?

El Jimador

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
Did you replace the fluid in the Highlander with genuine Toyota ATF or with just some "equivalent"?
Genuine Toyota ATF because he did a complete flush at a Toyota dealership (we have a friend that works there which makes it cheaper for us even tho it's a super long drive). Anyways, can anyone explain the random rpm drops while accelerating in the Passat? Thanks lol

deckerfl

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon TDI W/ Geared BSM, DUK 5Spd.
I had a turbo failure on my Passat, resulting in alot of oil getting into the intake. I pulled my intake manifold and there was a good amount of carbon buildup. I have pictures around somewhere. I'd say I had maybe 1/8" on all surfaces.
It's been awhile though. I definitely thought it was enough to warrant a good cleaning. I burned it out with a torch. Pretty interesting.
Dan

Mozambiquer

TDI
can anyone explain the random rpm drops while accelerating in the Passat? Thanks lol
I'm thinking you may be feeling the torque converter locking up, but not sure. Could you describe a bit more?

TokenRednek

TDI
05 Passat TDI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIijYgvxW0g

i used this exact video. worked like a charm. your results may vary. i did have to use brakekleen to wipe it out afterwards. it took less than an hour to clean the whole thing.

i deleted the EGR and cooler at the same time so i didnt clean the EGR valve.