Eligible Owner Restitution

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
So, with a damaged vehicle that has been offered eligible owner restitution but not buy back (pending appeal at the CRC), if I accept the eligible owner restitution payment, do I:

(a) have to turn in the vehicle? (it will need to be towed to a dealer--and then they would have to deal with it)

(b) Is my appeal off the books at that point?

(c) If I don't have to turn in the vehicle, what do I do with it? Call a junk yard?

(d) If (b) is not correct, as in the appeal is still pending, do I have to keep the vehicle?

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Tdi SEL premium
A) I’m pretty sure, it’s yours to keep
B) Like any settlement, I’m sure. Once you cash the check, all claims are settled
C) whatever you want. Part it out, sell it, junk it. It’s yours!
D)????

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Agree with hhead on a) and c). For b), you'd probably better call the settlement lawyers. And for d), if you have an appeal pending (so you can sell back the car), you'd definitely need to keep the car or else you'd never be able to sell it if you won the appeal.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Further research has clarified the answer: If an offer has been made for eligible owner restitution, but not buyback, if the offer is accepted the vehicle DOES have to be turned in, regardless of it's condition, which moots the appeal.

So, the question comes, do we wait out the CRC (which at their current rate of response will take several years), or take the offer and be done with the whole mess.

For me, take the offer and be done with it sounds like the best option.