Purchased Audi A3 from Audi Dealer July 4th....

youngman

TDI
2003 Golf
My neighbor purchased his preowned 2015 Audi A3 TDI over 4th of July weekend from a local Audi dealer.

He of course begins asking me about the whole situation and about our Passat.

From what I understand......any Audi or VW owned by a VW or Audi dealership after 6/28 will NOT be eligible for buyback correct?

There is another thread on this which was earlier and did not answer the ?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
From what I understand......any Audi or VW owned by a VW or Audi dealership after 6/28 will NOT be eligible for buyback correct?
Incorrect. An Audi or VW owned by an Audi/VW dealer on 6/28 might not be eligible, depending on how they meant the term "as of" to be interpreted in that paragraph. I think the likely intent was to exclude vehicles that were still new--that is, they hadn't been sold to a customer and registered, or sold to a third-party dealer, but were still sitting new on a VW dealer's lot--by 6/28. But there's a possible reading that says that if the car wasn't registered to someone on 6/28, or on a non-VW dealer's lot on 6/28, it isn't eligible. The latter reading is more consistent with the ordinary meaning of "as of", but it leaves a result that just doesn't make sense.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, there isn't a definite answer on this. But if your neighbor's car got to the dealer after 6/28, he's fine.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
My neighbor purchased his preowned 2015 Audi A3 TDI over 4th of July weekend from a local Audi dealer.

He of course begins asking me about the whole situation and about our Passat.

There is another thread on this which was earlier and did not answer the ?
The relevant part of the CAS document:
2.33. “Eligible Vehicle” means Model Year 2009 through 2015 Volkswagen and Audi light-duty vehicles equipped with 2.0-liter TDI engines that are (1) covered, or purported to be covered, by the EPA Test Groups in the table immediately below this paragraph; (2) registered with a state Department of Motor Vehicles or equivalent agency or held by bill of sale by a non-Volkswagen Dealer in the United States or its territories as of June 28, 2016; (3) for an Eligible Owner, currently Operable or cease to be Operable only after the Opt-Out Deadline; and (4) have not been modified pursuant to an Approved Emissions Modification. Eligible Vehicle also excludes any Volkswagen or Audi vehicle that was never sold in the United States or its territories.

So (1) in the list, (2) was it registered or held on a bill of sale, this is the key question to determine (3) it's running so good here, (4) none have so again good.

They have to determine how the car was being held on the lot. If it was a bill of sale, and on an VW or Audi lot, it fails test 2, and is out of the program, unless it was a trade in after 6/28/16.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
The relevant part of the CAS document:
2.33. “Eligible Vehicle” means Model Year 2009 through 2015 Volkswagen and Audi light-duty vehicles equipped with 2.0-liter TDI engines that are (1) covered, or purported to be covered, by the EPA Test Groups in the table immediately below this paragraph; (2) registered with a state Department of Motor Vehicles or equivalent agency or held by bill of sale by a non-Volkswagen Dealer in the United States or its territories as of June 28, 2016; (3) for an Eligible Owner, currently Operable or cease to be Operable only after the Opt-Out Deadline; and (4) have not been modified pursuant to an Approved Emissions Modification. Eligible Vehicle also excludes any Volkswagen or Audi vehicle that was never sold in the United States or its territories.

So (1) in the list, (2) was it registered or held on a bill of sale, this is the key question to determine (3) it's running so good here, (4) none have so again good.

They have to determine how the car was being held on the lot. If it was a bill of sale, and on an VW or Audi lot, it fails test 2, and is out of the program, unless it was a trade in after 6/28/16.

Be careful with your assumption. The language is not that cut and dry and you are ignoring the "or" portion of #2. The sentence does not say registered as of June 28th. IMO the language is likely their to cover non-vw dealers who are in possesion of a qualifying vehicle as of 6/28. Again that's just my read

jjk58

TDI
2009JettaSedanDSG/2014JSWDSG
I need to re-read the documents but if I buy a vehicle today on a vw lot that the dealer took in trade on/about 7/20/2016 I am eligible? (subject to reduced restitution)

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Yes. The only possible issue would be if it was on the VW dealer's lot on 6/28.

jjk58

TDI
2009JettaSedanDSG/2014JSWDSG
thanx, called about two vehicles and both were purchased (long distance) last night!