Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Re: Stories when filling up at \"gasoline station\"

My RV has a small diesel tank... only 65 gallons. I can get away with that because the generator runs on propane instead of diesel. My Sprinter has a 26 gallon tank. But, yes, a lot of trucks have 100+ gallon tanks.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey

Yeah, I can barely get more than 600 miles per tank! Maybe if I slow down I'll get better mileage than my normal 24 MPG(US)... nah!

24 MPG(US) = 29 MPG(IMP) = or 9.8l/100km

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)

My RV has a small diesel tank... only 65 gallons. I can get away with that because the generator runs on propane instead of diesel. My Sprinter has a 26 gallon tank. But, yes, a lot of trucks have 100+ gallon tanks.
__. Typically, buses like "Greyhound" buses have tanks from 135 to 195 gallons ("don't ask me how I know!").
'

brucep

Veteran Member
TDI
peebs4u2

I once just filled my tank and went inside to pay and waited in line to get up to the counter.... when I said "diesel" the attendandat pushed some buttons and asked me for somthing like $252

We quickly realized the guy behind me just topped off his road-tractor at the other diesel pump!

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T

I once just filled my tank and went inside to pay and waited in line to get up to the counter.... when I said "diesel" the attendandat pushed some buttons and asked me for somthing like $252

We quickly realized the guy behind me just topped off his road-tractor at the other diesel pump!
I'd drop a load if that happened to me

To avoid that I say the pump # and diesel.

carly

TDI
none :-(

[quoteI heard the new NB and Jetta TDIs don't have the TDI badge, at least in North America.

Might have been one of them.

[/QUOTE]

My 2005 Jetta TDI has a badge... all silver TDI

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T

[quoteI heard the new NB and Jetta TDIs don't have the TDI badge, at least in North America.

Might have been one of them.
My 2005 Jetta TDI has a badge... all silver TDI

[/QUOTE]

At the time I was referring to the 04 models. Seems it's just NBs though.

fase2006

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GL green

I don't really have any good ones, except for one guy with one of those new monster gasser american made trucks.

he kept glancing over, and starving at me, with a "what in the hell is he doing?" look.

He didn't say anything, so I didnt say anything.

Another tiem at the same station, a girl in a car kept watching me like "***?" too, but I wasn't sure if she was just taking a while or what. She did wait for me to leave though, heh.

Btw, I was reading those forums for those people with the new diesel trucks. Some of those people are obnoxious a-holes. "he looked at my car and rolled his eyes and laughed, so I smoked him out" I swear to god it's there.

I was cruising home from work, and happened to look over at some guy in a Toyota Avalon type car rolling his eyes, and laughing at me.... This made me a little bit
... I DO NOT THINK SO!!! It took me a few minutes to get in front of him, and to where I had 2 lanes, so I could get ½ in his lane to let the smoke do its thing. I got a little bit in front of him, wrapped 4th out to 3,000, goosed it between 4th and 5th, made a large black POOF of smoke, hit 5th, and lost him!!! .... To my surprise, he catches up for a second fogging!! So, doing my duties, I left it in 5th, floored it, and watched him disappear... he got up on the side of me, and this time I WAS THE ONE LAUGHING!!! I do not normally do this, but c'mon... the jack@ss was laughing, so I thought I would get the last laugh!!!
I'd roll my eyes too! A great number of the people with these oversized vehicles don't tow jackchit, and what the fritz give him the right to smoke someone out because they "laughed at him" I can see if they yelled an obscenity, or flipped him off, but they were just laughing because he's driving an oversized truck, and, being intelligent, they probably realized he'll never tow anythign that a f'n caravan couldn't tow.

if I got smoked out like that undeservedly, I'd have taken down his license plate, and followed him. One could winter morning he'd find his windshields had cracked due to the the extreme cold. Also, his tires would have deflated because of magic.

That's only if he got me really bad with my windows down and such, or it was really sooty all over my vehicle. I mean, if I cut him off and he did it, I deserve it. But for rolling your eyes? Grow up.

How about a small explosive rigged to a prepaid cellphone near one of his tires (probably the rear, right?). If you knew where he lived, you could do it. Just detonate it while he's on the highway going 65-70. I think that would cause him to spinout, probably go off the road and roll.

Oh, about calling him. Do it from another prepaid phone.

I'm not a terrorist, I'm just a kid with an active imagination. I really despise people like that though. "LOL HE ROLLED HIS EYES I'M SO IMMATURE LET ME ABUSE MY VEHICLE SO I GET "EVEN" LOL.

I would never do this, because smoking out doesn't really put my life in danger. Though, the other night, a woman pulled out infront of me from I'd say 50 feet when I was going 40mph, on 3 lane road, two lanes going my way. The left lane was clear. She stops in my lane and stares. Some people really shouldn't be on the road.

edit: God I can't believe how much of a f'n tool that guy is. Ugh, I hate people like that.

diezelwiezel

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Mojave Beige Golf

if I got smoked out like that undeservedly, I'd have taken down his license plate, and followed him. One could winter morning he'd find his windshields had cracked due to the the extreme cold. Also, his tires would have deflated because of magic.

That's only if he got me really bad with my windows down and such, or it was really sooty all over my vehicle. I mean, if I cut him off and he did it, I deserve it. But for rolling your eyes? Grow up.

How about a small explosive rigged to a prepaid cellphone near one of his tires (probably the rear, right?). If you knew where he lived, you could do it. Just detonate it while he's on the highway going 65-70. I think that would cause him to spinout, probably go off the road and roll.

Whoa
, people are going to misconstrue TDI for something like Terrorist Diesel Inc. Remember this is a public forum, i.e. the World Wide Web and that is a reflection on the membership of this club, so take it easy.

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White

Had a mildly funny one yesterday.

When I got out of the car, and old farmer filling up his truck with gas looked over at me and said.... "I sure hope it runs on diesel!" I just smiled and said "Yep sure does. Thanks for checking to be sure I was not making a mistake."

fase2006

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GL green

Whoa
, people are going to misconstrue TDI for something like Terrorist Diesel Inc. Remember this is a public forum, i.e. the World Wide Web and that is a reflection on the membership of this club, so take it easy.
I agree.. sorry.

Are you done there fase?
Yeah, I just got a angry. it really is sad these american diesel trucks are representing diesels in such a negative light.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner

I had a mildly funny one yesterday too.

I was filling up my 02 Golf TDI (w/143k miles on it) at Haffner's on Route 3A in Hudson NH and I used the high-volume truck pump like I always do. Amazingly the pump wasn't blocked by a mob of gassers like it usually is. I finish fueling up and pull around to the front of the convenience store part of the station. A Dodge Ram pickup truck gasser ("That thing got a Hemi?") pulls to the gas pump on the same side of the island as where I fueled up. I saw him waiting to pull in as I was getting ready to leave. Also, two teenagers in an American-made full-size gasser sedan (a Lincoln?) pull up to the gas pumps on the other side of the island.

Meanwhile, I pulled up to the front of the store to refill my washer fluid reservoir. I leave my TDI idling as I raise the hood and refill the washer fluid. While I had the hood up, I noticed the two kids in the sedan plus the Dodge truck driver were all staring at me, giving me funny looks.
Maybe they thought something was "wrong" with my "gasoline" engine...like it needed "oil"...or something like that.
LOL!
My TDI sounds identical to other A4 TDIs...nothing out of the ordinary for a TDI.
Anyway, I drop the hood and as I'm leaving and slowly drive past them, I see one of the kids point to the lettering on the back of my TDI. The general reaction was something like "Wow! It really IS a DIESEL! Cool!"

TDIs are fun!

~ n1das

zebrajeb

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 02, Silver, AT

My biggest problem with the big diesel pickup trucks is they almost all have their fuel tanks on the driver's side, not the passenger side like a TDI. I'm always getting weird looks as I have to back up to the pump in a line of diesel pickups! Some even get upset and are waving me to a pump with only gas. Only once has anyone asked me about the diesel.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M

The only thing I've ever had happen was when I was filling up at a gas station on the tollway. I was filling and there were two young guys in a Caddy on the other side of the pump. One goes in to pay while the other is filling, and next thing you know his bud is running out yelling at him 'you're putting diesel in it.' I didn't say a word.

TDIdenver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Black(traded in); Jetta 06, Platinum; Jetta 11, Platinum

I was filling up at a Shell station in Kansas and before the pump would turn on the attendant came over the loud speaker and yelled "THATS A DIESEL PUMP!". The guy on the other side of the pump filling up his powerstroke got a chuckle and I said I know while waving my hands so they would turn the pump on. The powerstroke guy seemed amazed. I went in to pay and the attendant said, "you know you just filled up with diesel?" I replied, "well then I guess thats a good thing, its a diesel engine." Her face was dumbfounded. LOL...I love it!

TDiMike

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI, reflex silver (sold)

After 3.5 years of owning a TDI, I don't have one story! Perhaps the fact that 40% of VW sold in Canada are TDI's has made them less of a niche market, and more mainstream such that even attendants know they're diesels.....

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D

I agree with you Mike.

Everybody here knows that VW make diesels, and lot's of people run them.

I never get any remarks when I fill up.

I guess it's a good thing...

OilBurnerBob

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, black on black

I tell 'em, "I tried running gasoline in it but the damn engine doesn't have any sparkplugs and it just wouldn't run!"

vwbrd

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI Anthracite Blue

Heh, took me 3 nights to read all these.

Favorite one I read: "Yeah, gasoline just doesn't work very well at 20:1," or something along those lines.

saabguru

Veteran Member

I like the approach of the old Farmer, helpful, but leaving you to your own business. People will ask me if mine's "the Diesel" (Texans have very good manners), to which I reply "yes" and then usually wax enthusiastic on the virtues thereof until they are sold on the car. My favorite thing about living here is the people. The scarcity of speed cops, and THEIR good manners runs a close second.

thermographer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 2004 Wheat/Beige with Automatic Tiptronic, ESP

Stopped at a Love's on interstate 40 (somewhere east of Little Rock). The diesel pump didn't have auto pay, and had a sign that said "Prepay after Dark"
I went in and said I needed pump 11 turned on. The guy didn't really look up, but said, "Pump 11 is Diesel". I told him "I hope so, because I have that little beige car in front of pump 11".
At that point, he was totally confused. I told he it's a VW, and he asked about the fuel milage and if the diesel cost more than a gasser.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner

I found a "stories" thread on TheDieselStop.com website. Some of the stories are hilarious, just like many of the stories shared in this thread.

TheDieselStop.com fueling stories

Blackknight

Veteran Member
TDI
None

One of my classmates told me the other day, "Your car looks nice but it sounds a little rough." I just said "yeah, it's supposed to sound that way. It's a diesel."

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI

I like to tell people that I think my car is almost due for a "fuel change." They usually look puzzled and say something like "You mean an oil change?"

"Nope, the thing is so efficient I figure the fuel is getting a bit old. I should dump it out and refill the tank."

Actually, that reminds me... I should change my fuel filter tomorrow.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)

Personally, I get the occasional question when I fill up, asking about the car and fuel efficiency. I never get shut down.

Last summer, I spent some time in July in the east coast area, and found myself dealing with stations in New Jersey; when I told the attendant I wanted diesel, I got a little bit of a questioning look, but they went ahead and filled it up. I could not get them to vent quite to my liking.

On my way back, I went to the first station west of the eastern toll plaza on the Ohio Turnpike and filled up, recording the amount of fuel when the pump stopped, then proceeded to vent in anouther couple gallons, then went in an paid, knowing I had enough to make it to Chicago. I chose to fill in Gary, IN (due to the fact that fuel in Indiana was much cheaper than Illinois). And then I did not need to fill up again until I got home.

bobsbug

TDI
nb,2002,marlin blue pearl

been reading these for a couple of nites and still haven't finished! these are great. just bought my 1st. tdi last sat. fueled up on the interstate on the way home. no comments.
fueled up tonite, 2nd time. school bus driver almost pushed me away from the pump. when i finished i move it, went in and paid. and couldn't resist. i went back and asked him what the deal was. and when he realized i had been pumping diesel he about fell over apologizing. (in very broken english i might add)