Turn signal not working sporadically on left turn?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Hey guys, was wondering if anyone has had a problem like this? My right turn signal is always working but the left turn signal sometimes goes out. It's a bit unsafe and wanted to know what I should check on.

Think it's the stalk? Relay? I don't know how it gets reactivated but it goes back to working for a while and then it goes dead again.

Using the left turn, the light on the dash flashes quickly, but outside I have no turn signals. Cruise control works.

Thanks, Jeremy

jsillars

Veteran Member
TDI
98 TDI sold
I just had turn signal problems that were remedied by replacing the front and rear bulb sockets (the rears have both the turns signal and brake light bulbs).

Your issue sounds similar. My left turn signal would blink rapidly inside but not light up outside. When I stepped on the brakes this would also affect the blinking of my turn signals or sometime my brake lights would not work at all. Not very safe:(.

Anyway, I would check the grounds first. The parts to change it all out cost about $120. Make sure to change all bulbs at the same time.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Do I need to get the bumper off to access my signals in the front? this is a 98 jetta. Or can I take off some of the skidplate/plastic parts to get to it. Checked the rears, and the rear was actually blinking fast on the left turn. The front stays on like a normal hazard light.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
You think it's my stalk Bruce? I can do that repair I think I saw you post, to see if that helps. Pull the stalk and clean the contacts. Didn't get any other responses so hmm.

Let me try cleaning this out today, then I'll get back to you on that.
Thanks

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I've seen several Jettas on the Vortex cured of this with a stalk replacment.

You're welcome to it. Since my Jetta departed, I have several parts that are surplus.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
I had to fix Christine's right signal recently...easy fix. Remove the bailing wire that holds the small turn signal housing inside the bumper...wait...you may only have to pop out some spring-loaded clamps...be careful, the plastic thingies that are u-shaped can break easily...don't ask me how I know this. Once you get both the short reflecter and long reflector out of the way, pull the short one out a bit until you can unplug the bulb housing from the wires. Then you can remove it from the whole reflector base. Then you check the bulb to see if it burned. If it is, replace, but still check the small connector blades where it plugs together. Mine had sand inside and were corroded...just blowing in there and cleaning with a brush did not help...put it back together and it still no workie...get a wire brush and scrub the male blades...I even put some small sandpaper down there and got a little gloss going, then I put back together and it works. Not difficult, just be easy prying the reflectors out.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Cleaned out the Stalk, busting a couple plastic parts mind you! I couldn't totally open up the stalk though, the copper connector was not gonna come out. So I just shot the whole sucker with the contact cleaner till it ran clear. Then I greased every single part I saw that could move. Nope not the stalk.

Went for the actual front signals, and cleaned them out. Before I read Rickstah's post, busted a chunk of that u shaped plastic bracket thing. It's fine though.

Yep, some sand. Cleaned them out and put in some diaelectric grease around both.

I'm turning left without my hand out the window and I don't feel like an arse! No more turning left with everyone in front of me having no idea I'm about to do it! SAFETY IS GREAT! I'll let you know if I get it to come back.

Thanks guys.

jcreinman

TDI
99 A3, 09 JSW, 04 Treg V10
I had a flakey left turn signal, I tried everything, but it kept coming back. I cleaned the steering column contacts, cleaned the contacts at the turn signal etc. I had already put dielectic grease in every electrical thing I could find due to other electrical issues. The dielectric solved all my other electrical problems. The turn signal bulb was never bad, but I would change it out anyway and it would work for a while. I ended up putting the old bulb back in and they would work too. Finally, I was to the point of just touching or wiggling the turn signal housing and it would work for a while.

I think I have now solved my problem...

I had to pull off my front bumper to do some front end repairs. In doing so, I realized that the wire that runs over to the left side marker light is pinched between the bumper and metal frame. I found the wire to be worn through to bare copper! Must have been shorting itself out. I ended up repairing the wire and extending it to get more room to change the side marker light and signal on that side and to re-route it so it would not get pinched again.

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
There must be something in the air as my right signal is doing the double fast flashing thing. It only happens if I have the lights on, if they're off no trouble. I'm not sure what people are saying here, I was able to twist out the bulb and socket from the top behind the bumper, maybe its harder on the left side. I gave it a quick cleanout but that only lasted a few days and its back today. I'll have to spend more time on it this weekend.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
You've got a bulb that's not working - check the front and rear. Replace the offending bulb.

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
rdkern said:
You've got a bulb that's not working - check the front and rear. Replace the offending bulb.
I should have been more clear, my trouble is intermittent, when it does happen the front bulb is dim, then it will go away and everything is fine....for awhile. Bmike

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Replace the bulb. They can do that - filiment broken but still "touches" some of the time. That, or bad connector/grounds.