First long drive. Departure checklist?

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Just purchased a 2014 JSW with 32k on it. Going to drive from MA to NC for Thanksgiving. What should I be checking before I leave?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Tires, oil level, coolant. Top up the washer tank. I usually bring a box with engine oil, coolant, brake fluid, tire pressure gauge, and windshield washer fluid. But on a car that new I'm not sure I'd bother. Maybe just a liter of oil since it's hard to find.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Tires, oil level, coolant. Top up the washer tank. I usually bring a box with engine oil, coolant, brake fluid, tire pressure gauge, and windshield washer fluid. But on a car that new I'm not sure I'd bother. Maybe just a liter of oil since it's hard to find.
Good suggestions. Is Mobil 0w synthetic ok?

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
These vehicles require a particular the of oil, specifically VW approved 507.00. This is important because the motor oil that is supposed to be used in your specific diesel motor is formulated not to damage or foul you DPF or exhaust particulate filters.

I personally use Castrol Castrol EDGE Pro LL03, which I order from IDParts, because it's not usually available at a local Pepboys/Autozone etc, but is what most dealers use as stock fluid. Mobil 1 ESP can be found at these autparts store more easily if you're in a pinch.

If you are careless about what type of oil you could end up creating a problem for yourself that VW may not honor under their warranty with these cars because you used the wrong type of oil. Do yourself a favor and don't give VW an opportunity to deny any warranty claim you may have because they claim you used "inferior" or "non-approved" fluids.

Other than that, keep track of your milage by getting as close to empty as you feel comfortable and then refill. Record the amount of fuel put in and then keep track of your mileage. When you refill again, dive the number of miles drive by the number of gallons of your previous fill up. This will be slightly more accurate than the MFD/computer the JSW uses, and a great way to set the bar going forward.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Good suggestions. Is Mobil 0w synthetic ok?
No. As noted above, a 5W30 oil that meets VS's 504.00 - 507.00 spec is important. Total Long Life, Liqui-Moly Long Life III, Castrol Professional OE LL03, Pentosin Super Performance III...those are some of the oils that are correct.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
No. As noted above, a 5W30 oil that meets VS's 504.00 - 507.00 spec is important. Total Long Life, Liqui-Moly Long Life III, Castrol Professional OE LL03, Pentosin Super Performance III...those are some of the oils that are correct.

Thanks. I added the oil change kit from idparts to my kit last night. Will order during black Friday sales.

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Check inflation PSI of spare tire and get familiar with operation of the jack.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
check your tires for wear, bubbles,pressure and oil, in a pinch napa generally caries or can get that day lubrimoly toptec 4200, look for the grey and orange jug