1Z TDI into 1982 Diesel Vanagon

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
you'll love the LUK 17-050 setup... it's what i'm running in my westy conversion and it's super quiet and smooth, just give it time to break in ....mine was previously used and gear oil saturated so it took a little longer than normal to bed in

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
Today I worked on fitting the B4 tdi stalks to vanagon ignition housing. I took a B4 tdi ignition housing and cut the bolt holes off then JB welded to the vanagon ignition housing. Also i replaced the ignition switch with a TDI one. Fits perfectly. Stalks are slightly crocked but stable. Vanagon steering wheel engages perfectly with blinkers. Glad this worked out because it simplified wiring, TDI cruise control uses stock switch, and when I do my cluster modification, the 1996 MFA capabilities will be able to use their stock switch. Only issue is I will have to modify one of the wiring plugs as it will interfere with the housing mounting bolt as it is in the vanagon position

Also was able to finally finish up my wheel setup. I have firestone destination A/T tires 215/75/15 mounted on early 2000 Passat rims. I got the rims from the junkyard and they are 15x6j ET 37. I am using 5mm spacers in the front and none in the rear. I painted them myself I think the look quite nice for some junkyard steelies. I had to purchase all new bolts and lugs to fit the passat ball seat and I also had all the hubs enlarged from 57.1 to 67mm by a local machine shop to fit on the van.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
i agree the wheels look do look good, my buddy just put mkv wheels on his and enlarged the bore with hole saw .... the id of the saw fit perfectly over the wheel spout, so no need for a centering bit

krupe93

TDI
1996 B4 Passat
Yesterday was a big day. I finally dropped my TDI into the van! It is only resting on the 2 side mounts right now and I tied it up so it doesnt fall over. I'm using some modified 83 diesel mounts right now but I'm unhappy with them. They don't sit how I would like and I think they're slightly taller because the alternator hits the engine cover. I decided to give in and purchase some saab 900 hydraulic mounts. The people who have used them on their van seem pleased. When I get those I'll have to fab up something for my carrier bars.

In addition I also tore up the rest of my interior for a through cleaning. Removed everything up front too to prepare for the wiring. Cut out and got rid of all the useless vanagon wires and only saved things like the radio wiring, door sensors, heater swtch, wipers ect. Everything else will be TDI wiring

Jon was a big help today

There was some nice mouse nests in this guy. Will open up and go through another day

Power washed the interior after all was done. Nice and clean! Next step is soundproofing!

Last edited: