New project: Golf Mk4 PD TDI 4motion 6-speed

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
^ FANTASTIC!!

Does anyone know if we have anything like this available in north america?
I do!! Please post!
Cheers,
-Chris
Sure, Vegas has a similar setup. I'm probably gonna go after they get the Aventador, supposedly later this year.

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
Ok, some videos from that day in Zandvoort:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-bh8X72DQY
Some Lamborghini Gallardo and Ferrari 430 in the pit lane Zandvoort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyVFm4Bxot4
Traffic in the pitlane including Lamborghini Gallardo launching, Ford Mustang drift taxis launching and Formula Renault race cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kTjhwwpA2A
Some Lamborghini Gallardo and Aston Martin V8 Vantage starting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYC4HYrJTQc
At the track. Mini Cooper Cup cars, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Formula Renault race cars and Lamborghini Gallardo passing by. Nice engine sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE6fzf5p97c
Ford Mustang drift taxis at work; after that a couple of Gallardos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INF0DYRkUUQ
Dodge charger doing a quarter mile race.

Misc cars, videos taken from different positions ;)

Last edited:

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
Ich gehe davon aus, 75dBA wurde überschritten. :D Dorthin sollte man den TÜV-Prüfer schicken, damit er was richtiges an Geräusche zu messen hat.

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
For sure it was louder than 75 dBA :D

Still no positive news about the blown 3.0; this actually has a big impact on any future investments on the 2.0 engine. So I spent only very little money on some new wheel center caps from VW in order to replace the SEAT logos.

@Rub: I guess you might need the SEAT caps for the VW Interlagos wheels ;)

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Think I better take the seat wheels back as the interalgos also dont fit my brakes :s

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
This build seems to be under some bad star or so - the compressor wheel ordered for my turbo can't be delivered as planned and the delivery date is postponed to Dec this year. How annoying is that?!

So plenty of time left for other ideas... I spoke to Ruben about cooling down boost air. The original FMIC setup will probably be replaced by some liquid-to-air intercooler. Finding a descent position for the IC is an issue; if we re-design boost pipes anyway, we want to keep them as short as possible. The idea is to place the with the cold side to drivers side, which may also allow a different DP design. The possible location for the L2A IC could be on top of the valve cover, more or less directly connected to the D24 intake manifold. An advantage would certainly be a more evenly air distribution and a very short pipe between turbo and IC. The space I cleared behind the front bumper for the (old) FMIC can be used to place the radiator for sure.

The big problem we are facing now is that under the bonnet there is ~8 cm of space until the valve cover. Having in mind that most L2A IC are around 11 cm thick, we are missing 3 cm. So the only option would be to create sort of a "power dome" like some of the recent BMW M3s have. But I don't want my Golf to look to ricer-like... And: the bonnet is not just a piece of plain sheet metal ;) I have a picture of the inside of the Golf Mk4 bonnet which clearly shows the problem; I will upload it later.

Greetz,

Fabian

EDIT:

Last edited:

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
Looks fantastic, a real sleeper :D Honestly I don't want any powerdome or so at all, but I need the space for the L2A IC.

About the Audi: we took the cyl head off and found out that all 3 glow plugs on the left hand cylinder head were melting and leaving debris in the cylinders :( I wrote something about it here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3530630

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
News:

It has been a while since the last update... The new compressor wheels arrived and will be installed to the CHRA soon. Compressor housing needs some modding, too - anti surge channels will be reinforced then as well.

We are still looking into a good solution for the L2A IC and we are on our way to sort something out. The only issue is to fit the L2A IC under the bonnet, but I found a German manufacturer that makes GFK-bonnets which are comparable to OEM parts, speaking about shape, installation, and supports from the inside. Such a bonnet could be modified to cover the L2A IC properly without creating an ugly ricer look.

And something minor: I got a set of nice OEM red-white rear light ("Pacific lights"), which fit the blue Golf better than the OEM tinted ones.

Fabian

EDIT:

Last edited:

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
^ Very, very nice! I love the Red/Clear look on the blue cars. Especially the .:R cars which yours is looking more and more like!!

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
Thanks! I am just lacking the .:R side skirts and the .:R look would be complete ;)

I actually thought about replacing all wipers by AeroTwins; there are plenty of p'n'p replacement sets for sale here in Germany. WIll do that when I'm bored again :D

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Valves are in the head. bottom of valves are flush with head deck (as they were already way too short to start with). so now one need to source springs..

Installed height is only 25mm for the outer and 23mm (this is evenw ithout taking ina ccount the thickness of a steel shime to put underneath the springs) for the inner spring (with stock retainer), the plane where the springs sit on at the head is now flat instead of stepped like OEM

So two options: find really short srpings that can still manage 10mm lift safely, or finding retainers with different shape so there more room for springs

chapelhill

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Ibiza pd13- 2260vk Turbo etc.., Merc E280cdi
Valves are in the head. bottom of valves are flush with head deck (as they were already way too short to start with). so now one need to source springs..

Installed height is only 25mm for the outer and 23mm (this is evenw ithout taking ina ccount the thickness of a steel shime to put underneath the springs) for the inner spring (with stock retainer), the plane where the springs sit on at the head is now flat instead of stepped like OEM

So two options: find really short srpings that can still manage 10mm lift safely, or finding retainers with different shape so there more room for springs
Have you managed to resolve this, I have a set of these valves and a head, but I don't want to start until I can work out what needs to be done?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Not yet.. finding springs seems to be a real headache.. I milled down the step in the surface which supports the bottom of the springs, now with the valves flush with the head and stock retainer we only have 25mm as has been siad, and with custon retainer maybe 2mm can be gained, but the piston of the hydro lifter (12mm) will need to fit in the hole of the ratainer then..

What a bummer these valves, cant see why one makes them too short to start with, knowing that a reground cam will anyway have a smalle base circle

Next time I will just use blanks and call it a day

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
Actually, I have my concerns this engine build will ever come to an end :D As Rub said, I consider buying those valves for my cylinder head a mistake; starting from the scratch with blanks probably would have been easier and cheaper. Honestly, I'm losing the fun with that project more and more... What really bothers me is the ridiculous amount of money already spent for parts and work. To make it clear, Rub really put a lot of effort in this project! But I have other problems to solve at the moment than worrying about custom handmade retainers etc.

If someone makes me a serious offer, I'll get rid of the parts and I will return my Golf to OEM status. I should have learnt my lessons from the blown old 2.0 engine ;)

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
Ed, unfortunately the entire engine won't make sense with an interims solution. Large valves and increased cam lift are the key to make the turbo spool properly. Turbo isn't the problem, that bloody cylinder head hampers every step. Originally I thought of working on the engine maybe between Xmas and new years eve, but what should we work on? And there won't be a fairy that provides a descent solution for the valves. I'd love to know if this particular valves have ever successfully been installed.

That's what kills every fun about this project. I should sell everything and get myself a nice .:R32 ;)

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Throw those valves back to the seller that promised "plug and play" and demand your money back, then order new ones from blanks. One hurdle out of the way and your one giant step closer to finishing this dream project!

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Or spring with 25mm installed height which do 10mm lift easily would also solve the issues..

chapelhill

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Ibiza pd13- 2260vk Turbo etc.., Merc E280cdi
Probably a stupid idea, but its to cold for me to be motivated and dig the parts out of the garage and I had been waiting for a proven method before I started experimentation!
Is there enough strength in the collet and cap to modify the collet to use the top two grooves on the valve instead of 3, that would move the whole cap assembly up by about 2.2mm, but as we also need lash caps of similar size to lift the top of the valve the cap should still clear the hydraulic tappet. Collet would need top grinding off to clear the lash cap and any remaining element of the top groove removing and checking there is clearance betwwn bottom of lash cap, collet and cap.

leon10tagg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 90bhp ALH tdi, 2002 Golf PD100, 2004 Passat 1.9PD AWX, 2001 Golf 4-Motion, 1997 Audi A4 1.8t sport, 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.0t WRX
Why not get Ferrea Race Components to machine valves to suit?

Fab176

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 4motion PD+++
Update:

This project is cancelled due to some technical issues we can't solve as easily as we expected. The main problem are the valve springs; as the valve stems are about 2mm too short (compared to the OEM valves) and my cam has a reduced base circle (due to the regrinding for higher lift), we have a "gap" we can't really fill. Custom retainers are almost impossible to create from a technical perspective and I don't want to rund 4mm lash caps in such an engine.

Long story short, 8V PD will be dropped. I will keep the turbo... The way ahead could be a PD TDI 16V - but there are several parts to sell first and bills to pay before I start think about it really.

I will sell: cylinder head with valves fitted (surfaced etc); VW Crafter pistons (modified for PD use and oversized valves; deeper and wider valve pockets; CR ~16:1; 81mm); Dbilas cam shaft (higher lift, untouched PD lobes, extra DLC coating by Kexel); D24 intake manifold etc. - see here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3753930#post3753930

Greetz,

Fabian