HPFP Class action lawsuit

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Does anyone know if there were any letters sent out or any progress made on the HPFP lawsuit, Beall v. VWGOA/Robert Bosch?

I have to say that VW seems to be handling all these lawsuits and recalls better than Toyota did (which is why I'll never buy another Toyota). They even gave me a lemon law settlement without a lot of hassle.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen - really want a F-150.
IIRC that case is a state based suit. Texas from what I recall, so I can't check on PACER. I wonder if the court has e-filing. If so, you could probably easily get a docket history, or just call the clerk and ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
My bad, it's actually in federal court. I'll try to have someone do a PACER search today for a docket list.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
Case was dismissed yesterday, 1/25/12. I'll try to get a docket up and get a copy of the order of dismissal. They may have moved it to arbitration but typically you'll see a notation of that fact in the register.

CedarPark68

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagen
Case was dismissed yesterday, 1/25/12. I'll try to get a docket up and get a copy of the order of dismissal. They may have moved it to arbitration but typically you'll see a notation of that fact in the register.
Thanks!

Please do let us know.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Wow, I am impressed by the number of VWoA Noo Yawk lawyers. That should give pause to anyone who wants to sue them on a personal basis.

Any chance of getting details of the dismissal?
I know of one person that has taken on a one on one suit with VW because of a hpfp failure. Its been going on for over two years now.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
So what does that mean ARBY? Why would both parties agree to a joint submission for order of dismissal? Is the suit just being dropped? Why?

lsnover

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan, 2010 JSW

PDF of the docket.

Very odd, it looks like both parties agreed to this dismissal. Looks like they may have settled. I understand if they did, but that leaves the other consumers on the hook to seek a solution on their own.

BMLO13

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagon
That is probably the point. We will fix it, you will shut up.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
Bosch (rightfully) filed a 12(b)(2) motion for lack of jurisdiction over it in Texas (or anywhere in the U.S. under this set of facts). They won (which they should have) but its not entirely clear why VW was dismissed as well. My guess is that they settled with the individual plaintiff, thereby killing this particular case. There's nothing preventing another go at maintaining a class suit for this defect, but only time will tell. I'll get Bosch's motion and the stipulation up here shortly.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Bosch (rightfully) filed a 12(b)(2) motion for lack of jurisdiction over it in Texas (or anywhere in the U.S. under this set of facts). They won (which they should have) but its not entirely clear why VW was dismissed as well. My guess is that they settled with the individual plaintiff, thereby killing this particular case. There's nothing preventing another go at maintaining a class suit for this defect, but only time will tell. I'll get Bosch's motion and the stipulation up here shortly.
Any luck? And is this something I could look up from LexisNexus or another search? I have access at school (plus I'm a pre-law student), but I haven't seen access to anything called PACER.

Now when you say lack of jurisdiction - was Bosch AG sued? I still think it would be nice to have a class action to rectify the faulty HPFP's.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Any luck? And is this something I could look up from LexisNexus or another search? I have access at school (plus I'm a pre-law student), but I haven't seen access to anything called PACER.

Now when you say lack of jurisdiction - was Bosch AG sued? I still think it would be nice to have a class action to rectify the faulty HPFP's.
As a pre-law student you likely know that to be a part of a suit you have to show harm. For the vast majority of owners, I would guess that bar would not be reached.

For the vast majority of the rest, right now VW is making them whole by repairing the cars.

IMO this class action suit is likely to have few that qualify.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI

I have the Motion but haven't had the opportunity to post it. I'll try to do that this weekend.

You may be able to find it on LN but on occasion short bench opinions are not reported. You may get lucky, but you won't find the parties briefs unless LN picks it up separately. It was in the District Court for the Southern District of Texas. PACER is the federal court e-filing system. Anyone can get access to it.

Bosch was sued, but they were dismissed because of a lack of jurisdiction (12(b)(2)). If you can get Bosch's motion I'd definitely read it as pre-law. It was likely drafted by a law clerk as the issues are really straightforward and Con Law 1 type stuff (minimum contacts, purposeful availment, Int'l Shoe, Burger King...all the big jurisdictional cases you'll find in law school). Bosch's argument was that simply because it manufactured the HPFP and VW put it in the 'stream of commerce' by including it in its vehicles, does not give the federal court in Texas the ability to assert its authority over Bosch.

A new class compliant is certainly feasible.