First Road Trip 2015 Golf TDI 6MT

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
My wife and I just took delivery last week of our new to us 2015 Golf S TDI 6MT, so we figured it was time to take it on a long trip! We road tripped from seacoast New Hampshire up to Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor, Maine. The trip was split up into a couple of legs, and we didn't get to fill up immediately so the driving was somewhat mixed. Overall, about 410 miles, averaging 45.5mpg based on my calculation using the trip computer and filling to the click. Granted this was at two different pumps so who knows how accurate. The computer in the car however said 52.4 which I thought seemed pretty high. Either way, we are very happy with this result, especially considering we had cruise control set to 80mph during most of the driving. Pretty stoked! Does this seem on par with what most people are getting post phase 2 fix?

Jester

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Alex. I drive a 2015 Jetta TDI that I got back in February. Love the car, and like you, drive about 80mph most of the time. On my most recent road trip, I averaged about 45mpg. On one tank, I actually slowed to just under the speed limit and it shot up to 49mpg. I am happy with that, especially with the added power I have now over my old 06, which I really hated to retire. Got rear-ended in that one and it started having tranny problems.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you have VCDS you can reset the cluster to make it more accurate. Mine now reads about 1 MPG low, which I appreciate. And my last fill on my GSW was 48.3, which was about 70% highway. Mine is tuned, so it's no longer actually "fixed." Only 10K on it, so it's not really broken in, either. I expect the FE to improve.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Yeah that seemed about right, maybe next time I will try cruising closer to 70 and see how it affects the MPG. IndigoBlueWagon that's pretty good, I'm sure the tune improves the FE to a degree. I don't currently have VCDS, but it's something I'm definitely going to look into now that we have this TDI and plan to have it for the long haul.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I would really love to know how people can do " 80 Mph " and achieve those quoted Mpg's ???

I certainly can't and even in my former 2002 Jetta did not !

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
I would say that our 2015 is geared much better for these speeds. It tends to sit around 2200rpm at 80mph in 6th. My old 1999.5 would turn much higher rpms at this speed. I used to cruise around 70 in that car and get similar mileage (high 40s low 50s). Best I ever did in that car was 61mpg on a road trip to Ohio, during which I took the roof racks off, taped the panel gaps, folded the mirrors, overinflated the tires and cruised at about 65mph. This particular trip I'm talking about above was not entirely at 80mph, there was some mixed driving on smaller roads cruising around 60. I'm sure if I were to clock an entire trip just at 80mph the FE would not be as high.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My last tank in my '02 Wagon was 50 MPG. It was mostly commuting and suburban driving, which includes both running at 80+ MPH and sitting in traffic. This time of year older TDIs do great. Cool enough to not require A/C, but warm enough to not be penalized by warm-up time. A well set-up ALH will easily deliver 50 MPG at 75-80 MPH on a road trip.