Hatch won't open!

dasjefe

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
I have a 2015 sportwagen. Installed a Westfalia tow bar kit this weekend. Everything went ok, but now for some reason the hatch reports on the instrument cluster that it is open (it is not) and it cannot be opened remotely or with the external handle. I checked the 7.5a fuse for camera/hatch (F18 I think?) and that looks ok. If you manage to trick it into thinking the hatch is closed via manipulating the latch the backup camera does work. I'm kind of at a loss here. I am under warranty, so I can take it in I suppose. I initially had a couple of errors after the tow bar install (TPMS and Stability Control) but those went away after driving the car a bit - and I suspect this was simply due to having the battery disconnected. No errors relating to hatch or similar in my VCDS scan. Any ideas?

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
From the inside, if you open up the little cover that’s supposed to hold the roadside triangle on the hatch, you’ll see a slot. You can slide your key from one side to the other and it‘ll manually unlock it. On the mk6, you could stick your finger in and actuate the lever. I‘m not sure why they made it harder on the MK7.

Did you install trailer wiring, or just the hitch? If it was just the hitch, I doubt you touched the wiring at all, so it might just be a bad coincidence.

Last edited:

dasjefe

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
Yes. We installed the wiring for the trailer as well - just the kit that came with the towbar, no brake controller. The trailer connections work fine. We checked everything several times, though I suppose it is possible that something got pulled that wasn't supposed to. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of a mk7 sportwagen? Also, is there a relay in the fuse block that controls the hatch?

dasjefe

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
Dealer says the latch has gone bad. Sort of an odd coincidence that it happened after the hitch was installed I suppose. They also mentioned a scan revealed that one of the passenger door latches was bad. I had no issues with that at all. VCDS didn't seem to show any errors for the passenger latch either. Strange stuff.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
typical VW and electro latches.