B5 Passat TDI manual transmission swap

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTD
At the ECM 94 pin connector, remove pin from 59 (grey wire) and insert into 43 (vacant). Then release the grey wire at pin 1 of the accelerator pedal, untape the harness a short distance and hook the grey wire to one side of the clutch switch pigtail. Tap into the red/white wire at the brake switch and connect it to the other side of the clutch switch pigtail. Re-tape the harness. Done.
For a real class act you can install the clutch safety starter interlock switch as well. Locate the starter interlock relay at position 13 of the large relay panel (2nd row, last relay). Expose a good length of the brown white wire at pin 6 and cut it. Connect the relay end of the wire to the clutch interlock switch. Connect the other wire from the interlock switch to a good ground, any brown wire behind the relay panel will work.
Wire from lower clutch switch spliced with gray wire from pin one at accelerator.
The other wire splices into the red and white wire on the brake switch.
Wire from lower clutch switch spliced with gray wire from pin one at accelerator.

[/URL

The other wire splices into the red and white wire on the Brake pedal.

TDI
15 A3 TDI/manual, 15 Golf TDI, 14 Cayenne TDI, 74 Thing.
Mine is doing very well thus far. Went one step further and deleted the BSM last Friday. Then, Saturday morning drove 4.5 hours into the Smoky mountains. Stayed at a cabin up there, hit the lake a few times, deals gap, etc...and drove home today. Haven't refueled yet, but the guesstimated average looks good! It was dam near spot on with my last tank of city driving with the BSM still in @33.5mpg (with the V6 gasser trans). This is also with 3 adults, full luggage, and driving way too fast following my buddies TDI Touareg.

Alcancia

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2005 Passat wagon
My Passat took it's first real 5 speed voyage yesterday! I bought it with a bad auto and never knew how it really drove before, but I can't believe how amazing it drives now. Ended up with a 33.1 MPG average, which was awesome considering it was all windy, mountain roads with a lot of elevation changes and accelerations between the corners. A Miata had to pull over to let me by. :eek:

I have to give a shout out to KermaTDI. Every swap I've seen so far has used Malone to handle the ECU tuning. I like to keep my patronage as local as possible and Kerma is less than an hour away, so I sent it to them. Anyway, the results are awesome! All faults resolved and the power is amazing. Just figured I'd put that out there as an additional tuning option for prospective swaps anyone is contemplating.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Along with Kerma and Malone, I will also give a shout out to TDTuning for my conversions.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I've found Mike's tunes a bit too aggressive on the boost "tip in" making for not as smooth of a drive. Kind of like driving a GM product.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Actually, when I did my first conversion on a 5 speed, I purchased a programmer box from Mike and he and I went back and forth several iterations to get the program just right. I have had no issues with "tip in". All is nice and smooth and when desired, lots of punch as well. I am very happy with the program as well as quite a few others.

But to each his own preferences.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
"Tip In". I now have the technical name.

I also have Mikes tune and seem to have turbo lag or tip in. At first I thought it was the way I was driving and not getting on it enough.
But i notice its very dead below 2k reevs.

To be fair to Mike I haven't addressed this as I'm just recently daily driving it and getting used to tune.
I have the 2.0 tune with DUK 5 speed.
It will chirp the tires into 2nd gear if you get that turbo spooling.

I can't say enough about service on Mike part. I mailed Ecu on Monday and had it back by Saturday. Answers e mails within a couple hours.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Chrismak, you have a geared BSM too, correct?

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea i had Jason do the balance shaft when issue first surfaced on boards.

You just do the delete right? On a side note, what mounts did you use for the gearbox?

I have a definite click or grab when changing gears. Probably not as bad as it sounds when re reading that, but tou know what I mean.
Like my mounts are bad.
I did replace engine mounts a couple of years back and they seem ok on visual inspection.
What about that snub nose on front of engine?
I believe thats supposed to have a little play. Wow now I'm talking to muself :)

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a delete. Stock mounts.

Check and make sure all mounting bolts are tight. Even the slightest looseness will do what you are describing.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
Checked the underpinning and i had to re tighten the bolts that hold the engine mount brackets. Not much but did het a half turn.
Also bolts on the rear bracket subframe that bolt to body were loose. I originally loosened to drop subframe down to remove tranny. The main one on bushing got a couple turns.
Then i managed to shear one of the smaller ones on bracket to body. Turning with 1/2 inch rachet and no extension. What the heck.
[/URL][/IMG]
I also have a Chinola axle that I got off donor car and just put it in to get up and running. The boot on wheel side is leaking and I believe the linkage is a bit sloopy so that may be contributing as well. I have sourced a VW axle and it will be changed Monday.
Now to get that sheared bolt out.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Just drill and tap it. It will be fun drilling upwards. :)

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
Better yet go out and buy a left handed drill bit
Once they grab they will back the broken bolt right out!

squishbang

TDI
'98 NB manual, '05 Passat manual
Good consolidation of info in this thread. One bit of information that I have not been able to source has been how to get cruise control working properly. I have an '05 Passat with a DUK gearbox and TDTuning flash. After wiring in a clutch switch I get cruise control working in 2nd and 5th gears with partial operation in 3rd. I wonder if ABS module coding dictates what gear ratios will be compatible with cruise? If so, what coding might make cruise control work as it should?

squishbang

TDI
Thanks for the input, TD. From past experience I was not expecting cruise to work below ~25 mph and I am really not worried about cruise in gears lower than 5th. However I had not found any threads where cruise wasn't fully sorted out so I just wanted some feedback from others that have done this swap.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
My TDTuning 4th gear cruise did not work when I got my ECU shipped to me. I e-mailed Mike but never heard back. Then I changed my tune to GDE and they have offered to fix this issue but I have to run the car is certain gear/rpm/speed and report back and I have not gotten around doing it yet.

squishbang

TDI
Good to confirm that my car wasn't the only one, tikal. Thankfully, the vehicle passed emissions testing after the flash and I could not be more pleased with the result of the swap.

Col Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 Green And it's Possessed 2001 Audi A4 AFN SWAP
Need help here, there was a post of a complete trans swap, auto to 5 speed on a Passat, model years was between 2000 to 2005, can't find it, had lots of pic's. Thanks, Col. ( Try my chicken )

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
My TDTuning 4th gear cruise did not work when I got my ECU shipped to me. I e-mailed Mike but never heard back. Then I changed my tune to GDE and they have offered to fix this issue but I have to run the car is certain gear/rpm/speed and report back and I have not gotten around doing it yet.
Sorry about this issue. I think it's possible I need to change hosting as I don't think all e-mails are making it to/from me. I've noticed it seems there may be some discrepancies in the gear ratios between what is listed for replacement parts from VW, and what is actually in some of these transmissions. Obviously that can be for several reasons, but it doesn't really help the situation.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI

Shoutout to Mike for working with me on lag issue and low mileage.
Turns out i had a bad N75 valve and wasn't boosting on low rev's.
Then I had brain fart and was reading the cluster in #2 mode and the mileage was showing like 34mpg.
Then while shooting video I realised it was in cluster 2 instead of 1 DAH.
Sl all good now and I pulled yhis mileage on highway on way home yhis afternoon.
About that left handed drill bit mentioned above, i did find one if anyone needs to borrow it. Just make sure you have a left handed drill before you use it.
Actually that drilled out really easy and the broken piece screwed on through the body into a cavity in frame.
Thanks again Mike.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI

This MPG is excellent. I have never seen this kind of MPG. Thats highway commute with some braking from 75-80 down to 45-50.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That gaugenis not that accurate. Calculate the consumption after a few tanks.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Trying to recode ABS without any luck so far. I have removed TCU, recoded CAN gateway, recoded ECU w out issues but for some reason the suggested coding won't be accepted by the ABS unit...99% done with this 5spd swap...any suggestions? I have exhausted my references at this point and Ross-Tech can't help since this combination (Passat TDI+manual) was never offered.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Have you reflashes the ECU with a "tune" from a runner to a manual transmission? That's the first step, everything else you did pretty much comes after.