NOS for TDI

Craig

Veteran Member
While purchasing the VW Tuner magazine that SkyPup had mentioned, I saw another magazine called ‘Redline’ that had a yellow Peugoet 406 nitrous diesel on the cover. The story said that the stock 1.9L TD engine was rated at 90 HP. Is this their own engine or is it a VW TDI?

Anyway the car was boosted to 138 hp (if I remember correctly) by tuning, but it had also 2 big tanks of nitrous oxide in the trunk. First diesel I’ve heard using this. The article mentioned that all nitrous setup is designed for gas cars and the diesel required special installation. It is injected after the intercooler. The setup was for +50 HP. The article said it compensates for turbo lag. Understatement.

M

mickey

Peugeot make their own diesels. 1.9 liters seems to be a popular size, but engine design is ultimately governed by natural laws so it's not surprising that a lot of well-designed engines are remarkably similar.

NOX in a TDI? Not a good idea. I'm sure it would be a blast for a little while, but that much power has got to compromise long term reliability to such an extent that the average person wouldn't be willing to take the risk. A Wett chipped 90 hp TDI (boosted up to 115 hp) is basically the same engine as a 115 hp Pumpe Duse, without the new injectors & fancy VGT turbo. It's made to handle that much power. 140 hp from a 1.9L TDI is really pushing the envelope! You'd better not be relying on that thing to get you to work for the next 400,000 miles.

-mickey

jrcanoe

In my research for propane fumigation I found that it is considered a better Idea than Nitrious because most diesels especially the TDI have an excess of O2 most of the time so other than the cooling effect of the nitrious it will not help Power. It cost 1$ a secound . The propane is cheep at a max flow rate of 50 cfm; has better cooling effect of the intake charge because propane contains a lot of Water (HOH) and gives more power and less polution. IT seems to work on my bug but I need an exhaust temp gauge and another better way to measure flow than blowing up balloons before I am willing to go anywhere near 50cfm.
http://ecep1.usl.edu/ecep/diesel/i/i.htm

[This message has been edited by jrcanoe (edited September 10, 1999).]

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
nitrous can't hurt your diesel!...my friend runs a detroit diesel drag truck a half ton ford pick up it runs 11:90 in the 1/4 mile!
he inject nitrous into the plenum it certainly does remove turbo lag and helps with the revs..diesels don't need extra fuel injected with the nitrous like a gasoline engine..only need nitrous...infact the proper way to tune the diesel for nitrous is to just keep upgrading the nitrous jet sizes till the vehicles slow down etc..when you inject to much the 1/4 times drop off..and thats it if you are interested in a kit i know of a shop that just specializes in performance diesels..in conneticut...heres the shop
TEAM DIESEL INC. 116 S. Rolling Acres , Chesire Conn 06410 (203) 272-6350
Doug Doring is the owner...tell deo sent you a friend of doug santori...the owner has a 9 sec 1/4 chevy pickup with 750hp and 1500 ftlbs sick it runs a lenco trans he broke a rib testing it out hahah it launches hard!
i am building a early rabbit 79 with a turbo diesel in it and hope to run some gtis!
thanks
Deo

------------------