112 Diesel Oil Conditioner

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
So my daughter took her '15 GSW to a new dealer (she just moved cross-country) to get the Phase 2 emissions mod, along with the 50k service. Looking over the invoice I do note the correct oil (G-052-195-1D), but they also added "112RSC Diesel Oil Conditioner". A web search comes up with this stuff: http://bgfleming.com/Part/112 along with a useless roadside assistance program. My main concern is what it might do to the engine over the next 10k miles, as I'm really lot looking for "like-new diesel engine power and performance"... I want properly-broken in engine performance :)

How hard should I yell at the dealer, or should I just not worry and clean it out at the next change?

Interestingly they found an oil pan leak (along with DSG pan and water pump) and it looks like they charged her for the oil for the change, and then VW for the oil when they re-sealed the pan. At least all the leaks were under warranty, and I know that there was slow coolant loss so at least that was legit.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I doubt it would do any harm but I would be PO'd if the installed it and charged for it without asking her.

If that was the case I'd be inclined to take it back and insist on them changing the oil at no charge and leaving out the additive.

As for double charging for the oil, looks like they owe VW a refund for the oil. I'm sure it was just an oversight. :rolleyes:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Most of those additives are harmless, but at the same time they are rarely helpful. It's usually just another profit center for the dealership.

As far as being added and charged without the customers approval, they are usually built into a "package" type of oil change. The service adviser will usually present a recommended service chart telling what all is done, what all is included, and for what set price.

Your daughter probably agreed to their menu price oil change without reading what all was included.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I agree the "Oil additive" is just a dealer make extra money scheme. Unless I'm wrong VW states that additives are not necessary.

Having said that, I do use Silver PowerService cetane boost, but that does not go into the oil.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
With the RIGHT Oil YOU do not need any Oiladditives at all..

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Snake oil. Find the statement in your owners manual that says that additives are not recommended by VW. Ask for a refund for that crap and have them change your oil on their dime to get that crap out of your engine. If they give you any static about that report them to VW for adding non approved snake oil to your engine that could void your warranty.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I generally don't add anything to my oil and never let anyone else change it. If they charged for something that VW says isn't advisable, Ol'Rattler is in the same train of thought as I am. Make them take it back and refund the oil as well as the additive.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I agree with the "have them drain and refill" and then have her speak with the Service Director to make him/her aware that this sort of upselling is unacceptable.
I've had good luck with dealing directly with the director. I know they will continue to manipulate the general public (not much I can do about that), but the SAs and techs know that I'm not going to fall for these tactics.