Oops--new Tata bursts into flames

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
http://www.pddnet.com/news-ap-nano-car-bursts-into-flames-raising-safety-fears-032510/

Satish Sawant was proudly driving his first car home from the showroom: A brand-new silver Tata Nano, draped with a celebratory garland of marigolds.

Then there was smoke. And then there was fire.

Minutes after the software engineer's wife and five-year-old son clambered out of the back seat, smoke from the engine, located in the Nano's rear, erupted into flames that engulfed the tiny car.

His ordeal showed just the latest problem with the low-cost Nano — raising fresh questions about safety and quality as top Indian carmaker Tata Motors sets its sights on global expansion and aims to ramp up production of the Nano with a new factory next month.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I certainly wasn't that surprised. I'm sure if we dug hard enough, we'd find a similar story or two here about new cars doing this in the US. [Don't dig too deep for older cars!] I just thought others might like this article, appears that the Tata delivers the kind of quality one would expect at this price level.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Yep, just reaffirms the old saying "you get what you pay for."

Power_Not_Speed

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
The original plan was to make the body using a kind of glue. Could come in handy for the occupants' families with the shortage of wood for the funeral pyres.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I know of someone who purchased a brand new VW Rabbit in 1975, and the same thing happened. Wire harness was too close to the exhaust, and the entire electrical system melted.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Reads like Mercedes quality. ;) Yes, I saw a an MLsomething SUV towed in to a Mercedes dealer completely burned to a crisp forward of the windshield. I guess one could argue that at least the Mercedes didn't burn beyond that point and therefore is a better vehicle. The extra cost provided that extra protection?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
A Nano apparently burns up every four days...
Oh, wait! that was on the 25th (and when I read it), not today, the 29th....

TDI
n/a
After reading the thread title..... I was thinking Mrs Doubtfire

Boy, was I way off base :D

Sorry, can't post the pics I was thinking of..... too new here

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
The new and improved Pinto:eek:

SonyAD

banned Borat
TDI
Peugeot 206 2.0 HDi
Wow @ all the glee and making fun of cars for frugal or low income people.

I've seen news coverage of Ferraris and Audi R8s bursting into flames on the highway.

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
SonyAD said:
Wow @ all the glee and making fun of cars for frugal or low income people.

I've seen news coverage of Ferraris and Audi R8s bursting into flames on the highway.
Believe me, they get/got roasted on here, too. :D