ALH Oil Leak - Front of engine

nashbok

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 182,000
I've got a pretty good oil leak coming from the oil filter housing area on my 2000 TDi Jetta (175k miles).

My guess is the oil filter housing gasket. The plan is to just replace all the seals/gasket on the housing. Is this a common problem? Anything else I should look for?

Thanks!

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
Check the oil filter cap to make sure it's not cracked

maxwellp

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 TDI Beetle
I just had one like that on my 98 Beetle. It was the oil cooler under the filter housing. I just tightened the large nut on it and it is leak free.

nashbok

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 182,000
Re:

thanks for the info all. Shagin' is right (and thanks for the write up BTW. there's tons of good info in here but the search feature on the forums is seriously lacking). After cleaning everything off and taking a good look it seems to be the oil cooler.

I assumed the filter housing gasket since the dealer told me if it was the oil cooler seal I'd have antifreeze in my oil -- which I don't.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Oil cooler seal(s) keeps junction to oil filter stand from leaking.

To get coolant in oil, there would have to be an internal leak of the oil cooler.

cbrpaul

TDI
SHARAN 1.9TDI
I have a AFN front engine oil leak , which also appears near to the oil filter housing !!

I would be very interested in knowing your outcome, thankyou

nashbok

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 182,000
There's a small leak at the top of the oil filter -- the o-ring doesn't fit very well -- bulges out a bit.

The main leak was coming from the top of the oil cooler. I tightened up the bolt 1/4 turn and that seems to have fixed it for now. I ordered the o-rings from idparts for six bucks (the dealer quoted $19) but haven't installed them.

The biggest issue was cleaning off the engine to locate the leak(s). I had let it go WAAAAY too long and the engine was a real mess.

Last edited:

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
if you need something that cleans really well, use 50/50 simple green spray it down, then let it sit on there for about 20 minutes, then use brake cleaner to wash it off... rinse and repeat... you'd be surprised at the result!

Mk4tdi02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
Looks like my mk4 alh is leaking from the same place. Anybody have those part numbers for those seals. thanks.

tonbab

TDI
99.5 mk4 jetta, 2006 T1N Sprinter Diy Camper
There are two gaskets. The other one is the same number as above minus the "a". I just did mine and it was an easy job. Once I got the socket on the nut I realized it was just loose and the gaskets were fine- 182k. Changed them out anyway since I had them.

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
Go to the dealer! Much cheaper from them than ordering online :) Unless you are ordering a whole bunch of stuff and have free shipping lol

Last edited:

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
The main leak was coming from the top of the oil cooler. I tightened up the bolt 1/4 turn and that seems to have fixed it for now.
Words of caution, I did the same and tore the o-ring. Before I do that again, I'll have another set of the o-rings from VW.

Mk4tdi02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
This forum rocks! I did it flawlessly, part numbers were correct and were still cheap at the stealer. Thank you very much!

csxdog

TDI
2003 Volkwagen Jetta
Oil Filter O Ring Location ALH

Just for anyone searching the web- You must find the correct groove to place the oil filter o ring in.. It is just below the oil filter cap flange, it does not go on the flange itself. If it's been there a while, it's very hard to see, and you'll need a small screwdriver or pick. I just found out that the original owner of my car put it on the flange, and so have I for the past 2 years. After changing to the correct location. and tightening up the bottom bolt on my oil cooler, and cleaning both sides of the oil cap gasket, my ALH is now leak free!! Awesomeness. Hope this helps someone who is searching.

Last edited:

coronan

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf
My oil cooler appears to be leaking oil from the "pleats" / ribs on the side rather than the top or bottom. Recommendations? Has any one had a cooler fail?