Clutch replacement, tools needed

BuzzMC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Location, Redwood City, CA.

Just posting for two reasons,

1) Anyone that might have the engine support brackets needed that wouldn't mind letting me borrow/rent them, or
2) Any reason why the engine can't be supported from below to get this done?

Thanks,

-bryan

Toby

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf Gl 2dr
It can be supported from under but it is a PITA to manuver under there with a jack or stand in the way. I did mine this way and cursed and swore the whole time wishing I supported it top-side

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
I made mine , copied from a thread here some where . Plywood , some eyebolts , square tubing . Do a search on the how to's for clutch installs you should find it there , that way you'll have it to do a TB.:D

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
i used a cherry picker and thats it . i used a screw driver and a bolt to holf the flywheel in place.

BuzzMC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
we made one. How anyone does this w/o is unreal.

I was still turned into the human transmission jack however.

I'm not sure which is more important... The engine support dealio, or all of the bits for the tranny jack.

One note for those unaware - If you have aftermarket suspension, namely a swaybar that goes around the drive axle... You're in for more of a treat as this gets in the way.

2 hour wrestling match with the tranny, but I think I won. I'll know more tomorrow when I wake up and access my pain situation ;)

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
BuzzMC said:
Location, Redwood City, CA.

Just posting for two reasons,

1) Anyone that might have the engine support brackets needed that wouldn't mind letting me borrow/rent them, or
2) Any reason why the engine can't be supported from below to get this done?

Thanks,

-bryan
You could just get a 4X4 and some long threaded hooks to hold it from above. See this one I made to put in a G60/VR-6 clutch kit (its more intricate, because of the three lift points on the Pumpe Duse motor. The ALH just has 2 lift points):

$45 and a trip to Home Depot and about three hours of my time. I used carpenter's glue and angle brackets to attach the 2X4 "feet" to the 4X4. I'd let you borrow it, but I'm on the East coast!

--Nate

Last edited: