cold start problems

muswellmetro

have problems starting my tdi(1998 skoda ocatvia 90hp) when temp is below 19 C (68F) but once it is warm ( or above 20C (70F) it starts ok...now i have had diesels for years so and it seemed standard glow plug problems so i went to the skoda dealer...check the glow plugs please

...skoda say they are ok but not standard (Champion) but i still had them changed for VAG type, no difference( changed them again my self BOSCH type),, no difference, so they changed the temperature sender unit,,,, no difference, changed the battery,changed the fuel filter, checked the leads ,replaced the earth lead

... still 14C this morning,,,, turn turn turn..(cranking it for 3- 4 seconds then fires.. rough for half a second)... excessive fuel smoke then runs and starts ok for the rest of the day

the glow plugs glow when out of the engine... takes two or three seconds to really glow hot

what else could cause the poor cold starting? MAF sensor, O2 sensor, relays ,ECU.... help... it has done 80k and had new timing belt at 75k... but ran ok until now... nothing stored in the memory

Geoff

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Last person I helped with this problem had a new battery that was defective. Slow cranking speed caused by low battery voltage, and then the issues with low voltage in general can cause just the problem you are describing. I met a fellow TDI club member in the parking lot where I work, and we checked his voltage using VagCom during cranking, and it was dropping into the high 8.x voltage range before it started. As the Bentley states the voltage should never drop below 9.0 vdc (actual voltage varies with Ah capacity of battery). He changed the battery and the problem is gone.

Of course it could be the starter or wiring too, but I would start with the battery.

mjbach

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
I second the injection timing suggestion as I think you have already have replaced the battery. Also you might try a search for "cold start problems" or lastly "glow plug".