Part numbers for head Bolts and gasket for BEW with an ARL head

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Guys,

In addition to working on my wife's Jetta wagon, I like to work on my New Beetle. I've got an ARL head with PD150 injectors that I'm going to install on the Beetle over the summer.

My question is do I need ARL head bolts, or can I simply use BEW head bolts? Also, will the BEW head gasket work with the ARL head? From what I've read, the BEW/ARL head are the same?

If I need ARL head bolts, could someone post the part number? Same for the head gasket.

When I do my timing belt this summer I'm installing the head, VNT17 turbo, PD150 intake, and PD150 TIP. Might also pickup a 2.5" downpipe. Then have Jeff work his magic.

If only I could get a FMIC for the Beetle...............

Eric

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI, 09' JSW TDI, 09' BMW 335d
I would recommend the ARL head bolts. They are stronger than the PD100 units. I got mine from Bora Parts. He had them on the shelf.
Head gasket... Doesn't matter. The thickness is important.

I intended to do this same swap before I decided to do a complete rebuild. The problem I see with this swap is that the BEW engine does not have valve reliefs in the pistons. The BEW head is flat. IE. no valve protrusion.
The ARL on the other hand, has valve reliefs and valve protrusion.

This could cause some unforeseen problems down the line. A piston swap might be needed to do this swap.

However a BEW head can be ported pretty much the same as the ARL.

If someone wants I can post up some pics of the BEW head/piston.

O.C.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
O.C. TDI,

If you could post pictures of the BEW and ARL head, that would be great. I didn't realize there was a difference in the way the valve sits in the head between the BEW and ARL.

Maybe I won't be installing an ARL head when I do my timing belt?

Eric

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I will get some shots of the BEW stuff and look through my pics of the ARL stuff.

VwPodRacer

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD150, 98 Jetta TDI
A member on here by the name of OmegaRenegade had a PD130 head on his BEW engine code.. He installed PD100 head bolts in it with no issues. So i know that it is possible to put a PD130/150 head on a BEW without swapping internals. Pm him for more info if you would like. Hope some of that info helps:cool:

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I am not saying that it is impossible to put the head on, mainly a heads up. It might be possible with a thicker head gasket. Calculating deck height and protrusion would be critical IMHO.

Here is a shot of BHW piston, with typical valve reliefs. I don't have any ARL piston shots, there are some on the site.

Here is a BEW piston dome. The omega chamber is 23cc volume

Here is the BEW head surface. Notice the valves are recessed and have no protrusion. I dont have a shot of my ARL head with the valves installed, but the BEW is the only head I have seen without protrusion.

O.C.

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
ARL are 12.9 as opposed to all other bolts at 10.9 grade