'04 1.9 golf Won't start after blowing fuse

jgtuk

TDI
golf mk5
First off - I wanna say hi what a great resource with such helpful enthusiasts this place is....
Alternator pulley sheared with no warning. Managed to get one after borrowing car and driving for three hours...
After replacing alternator pulley, I accidentally shorted the main alternator cable. Put back together and car won't start. Turns out i have blown the 200a fuse (yes I know - disconnect the battery when working....)
I have temporarily removed fuse and replaced with copper wire....
Car still won't start....
Heres the thing - I'm away from home - no access to manual and limited tools...
Dash warning lights work (no heater plug light?? - is this normal), car cranks but not firing... ecu normally whines for a few seconds when ignition is in first position but no noise at all...
Any ideas would be good - Haven't even got a fuse/relay diagram.
Thanks for any help,
James.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Doesn't sound good. Your dead short might have blown some of the other fuses in the car. So while your at it, check the other fuses in the car and also check for burnt wiring.

I have heard of people putting their battery in backwards and destroying some of the cars electronics.:eek:

Maybe someone located closer to you than me will chime in......................................

jgtuk

TDI
golf mk5
Thanks - checked other fuses and all seem OK - no signs of burning or smell either....
I only shorted the cable for a millisecond...
I'm hoping some one will point me to particular fuses/relays or something....
Cheers anyway,
James.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Also, go to the TDI 101 section. There are folks in the U.K. even with Vag-Com (VCDS). Plus, there are threads on what to do when your car doesn't start.

jgtuk

TDI
golf mk5
Ol'Rattler said:
Also, go to the TDI 101 section. There are folks in the U.K. even with Vag-Com (VCDS). Plus, there are threads on what to do when your car doesn't start.
Cheers - I'll do that.
James

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
cooper wire

Jgtuk never ever replace a fuse with cooper wire. You could have done severe damage to your electrics! Lew has a story about someone doing this and cars electronics were totaled.:eek: Sold car for parts!:mad:

jgtuk

TDI
golf mk5
2004STARWARSTDI said:
Jgtuk never ever replace a fuse with cooper wire. You could have done severe damage to your electrics! Lew has a story about someone doing this and cars electronics were totaled.:eek: Sold car for parts!:mad:
Yeah i agree - only this was a temp measure to get to garage.... I caused the fuse to blow in the first place so I know what caused it, if it was an undiagnosed fuse blow then I would never do that.

Anyway - so far, inbetween the rain fall, i have worked out that the fuel isn't pressurising when i turn the ignition to position 1?
Also no glow plug light??
Should there be a Glow plug light on this model??

Still working through things on the net to find a wiring diagram etc but no luck yet. Help hasn't been as forthcoming as i would have liked...
Cheers,
James.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
If you are not getting your glow plug light momentarily then your ECU is probably not getting power.

The normal cause is failure of the relay marked "109", though it may look like "601" on the relay panel inside the cab. These are above the driver's footwell in the left hand drive models sold in the US.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
In your case, I would start by verifying that you had bus voltage on both sides of all the metal strip fuses on top of your battery.

You may have damaged the internal conductors inside your fuse block above the battery.

jgtuk

TDI
golf mk5
DanG144 said:
In your case, I would start by verifying that you had bus voltage on both sides of all the metal strip fuses on top of your battery.

You may have damaged the internal conductors inside your fuse block above the battery.
Yeah - my next port of call.
Incidentally, Its a mk5 so no 109 relay..

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
MKV relay

jgtuk said:
Yeah - my next port of call.
Incidentally, Its a mk5 so no 109 relay..
Left rear engine compartment sealed with plastic cover contains power supply relay J317

jgtuk

TDI
golf mk5
OK - the car is at my home now.
Found a chap to come with Laptop and software to come and read and fault codes - £65.00 just for call out and anything extra charged on site...[:O]
Does this sound reasonable....
I don't even know if he can read the codes on a mk5....
Sorry i've sounded a bit vague on some issues - this is my partners car and I have very little working Knowledge of VW's.
I am in N Wales (Dolgellau) if anyone near me has any help for me..[:D]
Cheers,
James.

jgtuk

TDI
golf mk5
2004STARWARSTDI said:
Left rear engine compartment sealed with plastic cover contains power supply relay J317
Can't seem to find this?? Can you be more specific..
Thanks,
James

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I can post a picture of the relay location, if you really need it.

But I would check the fuse block on top of the battery first, and make sure that I still really had power out of all the strip fuses. Check for 12 v to earth or the battery negative pole on each fuse.

I can see how this transient could easily damage the fuse block; how it would damage the relay is a bit more problematic.

Dan

jgtuk

TDI
golf mk5
DanG144 said:
I can post a picture of the relay location, if you really need it.

But I would check the fuse block on top of the battery first, and make sure that I still really had power out of all the strip fuses. Check for 12 v to earth or the battery negative pole on each fuse.

I can see how this transient could easily damage the fuse block; how it would damage the relay is a bit more problematic.

Dan
OK - I have 12v at each strip fuse both sides. The strip fuses are on the front of the fuse box in engine compartment though not on top of the battery. This is a MK 5 here.