Removing turn signal switch assembly?

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
I know this has come up before but this search function drives me crazy. I can never find anything I am looking for :(

I have finally finished gathering up the tools to repair my turn signal switch, but I cannot find the page where the instructions are to remove the steering wheel and disassemble the switch. Does anybody have that link handy? I need as many pictures of the process as possible :D

I know I need to disconnect the battery, use a small screwdriver to undo the clips for the airbag, center the steering wheel then undo the 12mm triple square bolt in the middle, but after that I really don't know jack.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Zero10 said:
(snip) I cannot find the page where the instructions are to remove the steering wheel and disassemble the switch. Does anybody have that link handy? I need as many pictures of the process as possible :D (snip)
__. I haven't seen it lately but it's either in the "Turn Signal Clicking Driving Me Crazy" or there's a link to it there.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
Try this.

How-To: Flakey Turn Signal Clicking Fix

I find the search function works best in the advanced mode, using only one word, and search titles only. Using the back button and changing the search word is quick and easy if desired results are not achieved. Otherwise I find the search function difficult.

Last edited:

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
phaser said:
(snip) I find the search function difficult.
__. There's a description in highly trained, very experienced computer drivers' jargon. They say "it sucks"!

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
mrGutWrench said:
__. There's a description in highly trained, very experienced computer drivers' jargon. They say "it sucks"!
LOL!

BTW, using the advanced search, titles only, there are 47 hits for "sucks."

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah splendid. Danke zehr! Forgot to get some dielectric grease (and it is -30*C outside right now) so I'll try to tackle this tomorrow. The cold weather has caused the intermittent issue to now occur non-stop, and I have listened to about 7 hours of constant ticking over 2 days now.

While we are discussing techniques for searching this site, sometimes I find it faster to find what I an looking for on tdiclub using google, and that is a depressing thought.

Cumbres

it is often best to search sites with Google. I do it all the time. Lot's of web sites internal search functions are less advanced then Google's.

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay, so I have the turn signal assembly out, the ring is off and the 4 T8 screws are out as well but for the life of me I can't get these F'in clips to release on the cover so I can actually open the switch. In the how-to thread there are conveniently shadows where the clips are and the guy never shows that end of the cover so really I have no idea what I am stabbing at. I got some light down into the switch but really, I can't tell crap.

Any advice on getting these stupid clips free?

So close, yet so far :(

*EDIT*
I finally won with them. Forget the advice to work them from the back. If you have no idea what you are trying to snag it is hopeless. I just took a very thin flathead screwdriver and pried the outside of the case open from the front, then slid it around to catch the tang on each clip. Took about 15 seconds for both sides once I sorted it out.

The switch has been cleaned out and re-greased and is now back in the car. I am officially ticking free (for now, until it fails again).

Last edited: