Six Speed Manual Swap???

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Hi, I just bought a 2001 TDI with an auto :( and the tranny is done! So I've been looking on craigslist for a maual transmission because I hate autos and found a 6 speed manual from a vr6 and I'm wondering if it will work on my tdi?:confused:

Thanks for any info
Markus

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
No it won't. Totally wrong gears.

Welcome to the forums! BTW, a search could have answered this question for you, and around these parts sometimes people get all bent outta shape about that ;)

Cheers,
-Chris

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
OK, thanks
I didn't think they would match up, but I wasn't sure.
Thanks for the info
Many of us have installed 6 speed transmissions from the UK which are for the TDI. I personally did 2 of my TDIs. One was an auto to 6 speed swap and the other was a 5 to 6 speed swap. Blizzard60 is correct about the ratios.
We purchased them from a vendor on this site. He is ryanp and here is his thread on the subject.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=297323

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Thats not a bad price, but i can find a 5 speed for much cheaper, I just thought a six speed would be cool. I know a guy who just did a swap from a 5 speed to a six speed and he'd be willing to sell his old tranny to me for around $500.

My entire car only cost $2000 haha so i dont think i'll be buying a tranny that costs almost as much as the car. It's just gunna be my econo car, my plans are to buy a fairly new cummins once i get paid some money i'm owed.

But thanks for the info, I might think about doing a six speed conversion later on.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
For 500? Well you still need the shifter, boot, shifter knob, axles, tins, starter, bolts, relay, clutch hydraulic line, clutch pedal complete assembly, wiring pig tails, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, throw out bearing, etc. I doubt the 500 covers that.

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Chris - Yea he's local. I don't know if he's on the tdi forum, but I just talk to him and drool over his car;) whenever I go to BD's dyno days in abbotsford, my dad's been friends with him for years.

Incognent -He's got it advertised on vancouver craigslist right now for $750, he was just thinking of selling it to me cheaper. But i'm still going to look around for one with less kms, cause he's got 180,000km on the tranny.

Last edited:

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Chris - Yea he's local. I don't know if he's on the tdi forum, but I just talk to him and drool over his car;) whenever I go to BD's dyno days in abbotsford, my dad's been friends with him for years.
Sorry to keep bugging you about this, but what is BD, and when are their dyno days?

Cheers,
-Chris

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
BD is a diesel performance shop in abbotsford, and im not sure when the next dyno day is?

But here's their website http://www.dieselperformance.com/index.php/dynoday

Cool thanks! I can't stand those trucks with stacks that just spew black smoke, so I'm gonna stay as far away from that event as possible. Sorry, I hope I'm not offending, but I find it completely irresponsible to be emitting pollution like that...

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Cool thanks! I can't stand those trucks with stacks that just spew black smoke, so I'm gonna stay as far away from that event as possible. Sorry, I hope I'm not offending, but I find it completely irresponsible to be emitting pollution like that...

Haha, no problem. I'm a big truck fan :D I just can't afford one yet, so I bought myself a dailydriver that'll get over 35mpg before a big diesel

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
also, don't be suprised that you'll need a new instrument cluster as well.

the main reason why a VR6 tranny will not fit is because the bell housing is different and will not mate up to the TDI engine.

andrewc has a nice comprehensive thread on installing a 6-speed (iirc DRW) tranny on his bug (though he started out with a 5-speed)