www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old February 13th, 2019, 16:16   #151
tomo366
TDI Lifer, Member #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billion003 View Post
Clicked thru one of the links above.. Wow...diesel hybrid technology...very 21st century. Now if they can mate it a manual transmission...and even...wait for it...put it a 2-door car. In this 21st gee-whiz century 2-door small cars are apparently just too futuristic...and difficult. Maybe in the future they will figure out a way.
Manual Transmissions are a thing of the Past......
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 19:43   #152
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

With all of the new modern emissions controls and other things I believe like tomo366, they are the past. The computers will now control everything. Drive by wire is in the near future and very little will be under direct manual control anymore. Kind of like some of our newer military aircraft just aren't flyable without computer control anymore. You just tell it what you want to do and it makes all the decisions and control movements to accomplish that instruction without crashing. Emissions, automation, driverless cars, all electric and such will drive this to the extreme.

Last edited by Lightflyer1; February 13th, 2019 at 19:48.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 20:45   #153
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Drive by wire is in the near future
The bold new millennium!

A year of 2000!
[486] is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 02:30   #154
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/40/30 TDI PD, 42/37/32 535d, 52/46/42 XE 2.0d
Question

Quote:
With all of the new modern emissions controls and other things I believe like tomo366, they are the past. The computers will now control everything. Drive by wire is in the near future and very little will be under direct manual control anymore. Kind of like some of our newer military aircraft just aren't flyable without computer control anymore. You just tell it what you want to do and it makes all the decisions and control movements to accomplish that instruction without crashing. Emissions, automation, driverless cars, all electric and such will drive this to the extreme.
Yeah, with the reliability of a computer, ha ha.

I don't worship technology nor do I trust it with high speed life-and-death decisions except maybe in multi-million dollar military aircraft and those that are not piloted (oh you mean remote piloted drones, no?). No doubt things will be changing, but in the real world, unintended side effects from tech are common. Witness how IT mediocrity has all but destroyed work-flow in primary care medical practice.

Call me old fashioned, but realistic. The tech hype bubble brought to you by "all-knowing" journalists, futurists, and tech enthusiasts world wide.

Last edited by Tin Man; February 14th, 2019 at 02:36.
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 03:05   #155
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

It is coming whether you or I worship it or not. Personally I don't care for it but it is happening none the less. It is complicated, expensive, and as you say not reliable enough yet. As I get older though and the odds at some point I won't be able to drive myself any more I can see a need that needs solving that isn't available today. Self driving taxis at that point would fit the bill if and/or when they get it worked out. Until then I will continue driving my 1935 Ford and my 2015 Beetle tdi among other cars.
Old February 14th, 2019, 03:33   #156
Tin Man
Veteran Member

The laws of thermodynamics and economics are difficult to violate.

Very non-scientific data points:
- number of times got stranded by a manual transmission: 0
- number of times got stranded by an automated electronically controlled transmission: 1

- cost of maintaining manual transmission: piddly
- cost of maintaining automatic transmission: $400/40-60,000 miles or face $2-7K repairs after, say, 120,000 miles of no maintenance

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/john_lennon_137162

Last edited by Tin Man; February 14th, 2019 at 03:38.
Old February 14th, 2019, 04:17   #157
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

- number of times got stranded by a manual transmission: Many, ruined/broken clutches, bushings, shifter cables

- number of times got stranded by an automated electronically controlled transmission: 0

- cost of maintaining manual transmission: $$$ Replaced many clutches/assemblies, shifter cables and bushings over the years, various cars

- cost of maintaining automatic DSG transmission: $40/40-60,000 miles, bought up others left over kits from dieselgate turn ins, enough for 200k miles. Own VCDS.

None of this has anything to do with what is coming though. Your past experiences and mine don't match at all. Manual transmissions are simpler but not foolproof or trouble free either.

Most of the stuff needed we already have on hand. Radar, HUD, Crash Avoidance, cruise control, navigation, etc...

Just needs greater integration and reliability worked in and some added infrastructure. I also see the time coming where people no longer own the vehicle. Just order up what they need for a fee.

Tell me you wouldn't want some of the newest prosthetics out there for hands, arms and legs now just because they are too complicated and you would rather just have a stub or nothing at all. Some of them are simply amazing in what they allow people to do to resume living a better life after life changing events.

These things are coming and not that far in the future. It will take some time for the old stuff to die out though. Enjoy it while you can!
Old February 14th, 2019, 10:00   #158
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

It only takes about an hour driving my 1965 Mustang to remind me how good it is to
commute to and from work in a modern (2008) vehicle.
We are lucky to be living in a time when we can still enjoy all the varieties of driving.
Old February 14th, 2019, 12:25   #159
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Quote:
- number of times got stranded by a manual transmission: Many, ruined/broken clutches, bushings, shifter cables
- number of times got stranded by an automated electronically controlled transmission: 0
- cost of maintaining manual transmission: $$$ Replaced many clutches/assemblies, shifter cables and bushings over the years, various cars
- cost of maintaining automatic DSG transmission: $40/40-60,000 miles, bought up others left over kits from dieselgate turn ins, enough for 200k miles. Own VCDS.
None of this has anything to do with what is coming though. Your past experiences and mine don't match at all. Manual transmissions are simpler but not foolproof or trouble free either.
Most of the stuff needed we already have on hand. Radar, HUD, Crash Avoidance, cruise control, navigation, etc...
Just needs greater integration and reliability worked in and some added infrastructure. I also see the time coming where people no longer own the vehicle. Just order up what they need for a fee.
Tell me you wouldn't want some of the newest prosthetics out there for hands, arms and legs now just because they are too complicated and you would rather just have a stub or nothing at all. Some of them are simply amazing in what they allow people to do to resume living a better life after life changing events.
These things are coming and not that far in the future. It will take some time for the old stuff to die out though. Enjoy it while you can!
Manual transmissions are much simpler and cheaper to maintain/fix, especially compared to automatic DSG. I'm not so prone to just argue for argument's sake and l likely treat cars differently anyway.

Good day.

TM

Last edited by Tin Man; February 14th, 2019 at 17:22.
Old February 14th, 2019, 12:27   #160
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee View Post
It only takes about an hour driving my 1965 Mustang to remind me how good it is to
commute to and from work in a modern (2008) vehicle.
We are lucky to be living in a time when we can still enjoy all the varieties of driving.
I wouldn't mind driving an old 911 or 912 for good old times sake. New cars don't even smell right, missing that gasoline/oil mix aroma. Should look for the special cologne that supposedly has some of this!

TM
Old February 14th, 2019, 14:23   #161
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)
Default Old vs new dichotomy?

I remember as a kid somehow I liked the smell of gasoline ~

Now on a more serious note. Rather than looking at 'old vs new' as a dichotomy (and a false one in my humble opinion) I would go with the approach of "do not necessarily buy/ride/consume/etc. the latest and greatest technology/hardware/software (if you have a choice). Let it mature a little bit more ... "
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 15:47   #162
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

I found it interesting that my daughters 2019 Jetta SE with the 1.4T engine has a space where a urea fill are would go if a diesel were in that car. Mind you this is a redesign of the Jetta series.
Old February 14th, 2019, 16:10   #163
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

It'll be a beautiful thing when the symmetry of this graph falls apart.

https://www.cleanenergywire.org/news...germany-report
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2019, 20:34   #164
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

To begin with I am hopeful in the next ten years for densely populated areas in Europe, Japan, South Korea, Singapore and maybe even China.

For going coast to coast in the US, Australia, etc. maybe we will have to wait somewhat longer or expect the fuel cost to get more like the cost in Europe and then ...
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2019, 21:14   #165
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
To begin with I am hopeful in the next ten years for densely populated areas in Europe, Japan, South Korea, Singapore and maybe even China.

For going coast to coast in the US, Australia, etc. maybe we will have to wait somewhat longer or expect the fuel cost to get more like the cost in Europe and then ...
Glad that is your opinion. I don't really care what happens over there but high density population areas and skyrocket high taxes on things isn't my opinion of a good future. I prefer open country, less people and low taxes. Glad I am getting older as I hope to die before your "eutopia" happens here. I have been to some of those countries and the sheer population density is crushing. Like India for instance. 407 people per sq/km vs 33 people per sq/km in the US. The sheer volume of people in that country, 1.3 billion more people in 1/3rd the land mass, is crushing. One of the best things I like about Texas is its big, and lightly populated except for a handful of cities.

Besides our government has shown it can waste vast sums of money very easily, no matter the party. What makes you think they would make good use of even more highly taxed fuel money?

I sure hope you stay the minority here in Texas.