2002 Jetta shaking in gear

luke8603

TDI
2002 jetta
So will be tearing in to the car soon for some serious surgery (Kerma 165 kit)
And have an issue I’d like to address to possibly ease my mind... I brought the car to my shop so that I could eventually get to work on it and it had been sitting for a few months prior, it drove fine when parked. So I go start it up clutch in in 1st and it’s shaking pretty bad figured it could be something stupid like not running for a while so I go to take off and stall out, round 2 I get it going but something is definitely not right it want no part of shifting while at idle in to gear any gear, if it does go in to gear it shake violently like its semi engaged or something. I’m thinking a bad dmf may be the culprit as it shifts fine while not running

Any thoughts...

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
So are you saying if the engine is running and pressing the clutch pedal to the floor, nothing bad happens until you put the shifter in a gear(but not release the pedal)?

Last edited:

luke8603

TDI
2002 jetta
I was also thinking that it is possible that because it was parked for a couple months toward the end of winter that some rust may have developed on the shaft not allowing the clutch to dis engage and possibly bending the lever in the process but who knows

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
I don't understand how transmission shaking could happen with the clutch on the floor. When the clutch is down, nothing in the transmission should be moving, I think. So therefore, I favor your idea that the clutch may not be disengaging. Is your brake reservoir full of good fluid? If not, fix that, and then bleed your clutch slave cylinder. If I recall correctly, the brake fluid line to the clutch is higher than the master cylinder, so the clutch would be affected by low fluid first.

Last edited:

luke8603

TDI
2002 jetta
I don't understand how transmission shaking could happen with the clutch on the floor. When the clutch is down, nothing in the transmission should be moving, I think. So therefore, I favor your idea that the clutch may not be disengaging. Is your brake reservoir full of good fluid? If not, fix that, and then bleed your clutch slave cylinder. If I recall correctly, the brake fluid line to the clutch is higher than the master cylinder, so the clutch would be affected by low fluid first.
Something is definitely not happy in there... it’s just so odd that when I parked it it drove fine other than the bad quantity adjuster, no shaking in gear with the clutch in. I’m still thinking the dmf crapped out in some way or another. Just finding time to actually work on it has been the issue, busy at work, too humid, etc not knowing enough about these cars doesn’t help either. The guy who owns the shop next to ours is going to be helping me at some point with it but he’s been super busy as well