2003 tdi no start

harry3

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta tdi auto converted to 5 speed. 2003 tdi jetta 5 speed.
I went to start the car about one hour after it ran last. It turns over fast, but never a hint to fire. No codes until this episode. P1562-35-00. Power to fuel shut off on injection pump. Can hear the click when energized. Normal small air bubble in clear fuel line. I cracked the injector line on #4 loose and fuel came out when I turned the car over. Put a mity vac on fuel line going to engine, no restriction. Anti shudder valve is fine. I noticed about a month ago the car didn't have the zip it use to. Any thoughts, thanks in advance.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I went to start the car about one hour after it ran last. It turns over fast, but never a hint to fire. No codes until this episode. P1562-35-00. Power to fuel shut off on injection pump. Can hear the click when energized. Normal small air bubble in clear fuel line. I cracked the injector line on #4 loose and fuel came out when I turned the car over. Put a mity vac on fuel line going to engine, no restriction. Anti shudder valve is fine. I noticed about a month ago the car didn't have the zip it use to. Any thoughts, thanks in advance.
I have a similar issue. Wiggle the 109 relay while cranking was the solution. Not sure why but the heatercore issue I had damaged some terminal connections. Worth a try! And yes I had fuel out of my 3rd injector as well.

Other things to check is the connections at the ip harness and the wires on the harness especially near the trans. Making sure all the grounds are good especially at harnesses connection at the head.
Some have had wires rub and be broken. Worth a shot.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Run a jumper from the plus side of the battery to the fuel shut off solenoid and see if the car then starts. Oh take off the wire that is there as it might be shorted to ground.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
The QA in the also makes noises when you turn the key on so you may be hearing that.

harry3

Veteran Member
TDI
Power to the fuel shut off,. The p1562 code will not clear, comes right back instantly. Is there any other electrical problem that would cause a no start? I'm hoping and thinking that the plunger on the fuel shut off is stuck closed. I will crack an injector and compare the flow with my 2002 Jetta.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Stuck plunger shouldn't give you that code. The ECU doesn't know whether the plunger moves or not. You seem to have a wiring problem.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
check your wiring harness like i suggested. chances are you have some broken wires or something going on.

harry3

Veteran Member
TDI
Ya, so I spent a few hours looking for a problem with the wiring with no luck. I'm starting to think that this one may be a little above my pay rate. Maybe I will finely get to meet Jason over by Madison,. He's only about 2 hours from me. Thanks for the responses.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ya, so I spent a few hours looking for a problem with the wiring with no luck. I'm starting to think that this one may be a little above my pay rate. Maybe I will finely get to meet Jason over by Madison,. He's only about 2 hours from me. Thanks for the responses.
did you do that with your eyes or a voltmeter?

harry3

Veteran Member
TDI
Eyes. I did check pins 5 and 6 going to the ip, and the resistance was within spec. I just remembered that about a week before the car died it turned over about ten seconds and didn't start and I really thought that was strange at that time but didn't think much of it. Because I turned the key off and then it started.

harry3

Veteran Member
TDI
I have been reading alot lately and was wondering if the physical timing was off, could it cause the p1562? Like if the sprocket on the ip slipped.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have been reading alot lately and was wondering if the physical timing was off, could it cause the p1562? Like if the sprocket on the ip slipped.
I highly doubt that would happen, but you can check easily enough. You will need a ip seal kit. Line everything up as you would for a timing belt job and lock out the ip. Take the top off (QA) and see where the cam and head lign up. I'm not 100% sure bit I think its supposed to be in the peak (both cam and head are at full lobe. Or slightly past. Again. Not 100% sure on its positioning.
Imo the belt will skip or shred teeth before any sprocket will move, save for the issue with the crank sprocket if its worn.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Let's look at this logically.

The engine isn't running.

You clear the Code.

It comes back.

How would timing cause it? Timing belt could be in two pieces and the sprocket in your hand and the software wouldn't know. Engine has to be running for it to determine where the timing is.

harry3

Veteran Member
TDI
Up date

I dropped off the car today at the repair shop. They said that perhaps Tuesday would be the earliest time to get after it. Will keep you posted. I actually did use the meter to check pins 5to6. Sorry for any confusion.

harry3

Veteran Member
TDI
I towed my car back home from the the shop today, they were not much help, they said it COULD be the pump. I pulled the top off the pump and found the inside very clean. Turning the key on does not move the QA at all. It moves nice and smooth by hand. I'm not good at all with wiring but thinking of visually checking by the ECM?

harry3

Veteran Member
TDI
I just thought of something that happened about a month before the no start situation. I jumped my friends boat starting battery,it was dead because he left the fish loactor on last time he used it. I charged it about thirty minutes with the car running. A dumb thing on my part but I would think that any damages would have shown up right away.

harry3

Veteran Member
TDI
Does the collar under the QA drive the lever on the top of the QA? I was reading that in some cases the collar may become lodged?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Double check the connection on the crank sensor plug. It doesn't always give you a code. It's old enough to give up the ghost. The IP plug is there too. Check that connection too.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
The collar is moved by the QA. You say you removed the top, I hope you mean the cover only??? If you can move the QA lever by hand nothing's stuck.

If, when you turn the key to run, the QA doesn't swing about 70 degrees and return you have a wiring problem. Seems like that's been suggester before and you've done the final check to rule out a mechanical problem with the pump.

harry3

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the reply, yes only removed the top cover, I didn't want to mess with changing the QA adjustment, so I can assume the pump is good. On to finding the bad wire. I just got into the ECM and unhooked the battery but didn't disconnect the connections from it yet. Can I assume that the ECM is good as I'm getting the proper lights coming on in the instrument cluster?