TDIFest 2013 coming to Sunday River Ski Resort (Newry, Maine)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
A day trip? But it's a whole weekend of fun! :D

FSBruce

TDI
2003 GLS Jetta Sedan 5M
Really pumped this is in Maine! No excuses not to make the ~1 hour trip to Bethel. What a great area!

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Really pumped this is in Maine! No excuses not to make the ~1 hour trip to Bethel. What a great area!
Always cracks me up when Mainers don't get around as much as the summer complaints (tourists):D. Bethel is really close to Augusta as compared to last year's Fest in MI. Maybe we can recruit you for a bit of volunteering when the time comes. I think this will be a great Fest and lots of fun.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Always cracks me up when Mainers don't get around as much as the summer complaints (tourists):D. Bethel is really close to Augusta as compared to last year's Fest in MI. Maybe we can recruit you for a bit of volunteering when the time comes. I think this will be a great Fest and lots of fun.
Actually I believe that is human nature - you always feel you have plenty of time to see local sites; it is only when you have out-of-town visitors that you finally see those sites as you take the visitors around!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
For sure! I love it when we have visitors because its an excuse to go do touristy stuff that I wouldn't otherwise go do.

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Tdi SEL premium
Maybe us west coasters might think about a road trip. I've made Boston in less than 3 days, between me and a friend. And that was in my 3/4 ton p/u pulling an empty trailer. We drive 24 hrs every other night! I think I was on a 8 day schedule. We even had time to cross into Canada via Niagra Falls, come back thru Michigan.
I've got to admit, that's a long haul up and back. But the back trip would let me visit A LOT of sites, I didn't get to last time!
Reminder: check vacation time!!

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
What, you need a TDI? What about your A4?
It's just fine, but if I could drive someone else's car, then why should I use mine? I don't care if it is a 1st gen Prius, or a Pinto, it's free!

Unfortunately I have a habit of repairing and correcting issues with the cars I've borrowed, so I don't get off for 'free'. I have a soft-spot for the B4 anyway so the door handle, window regulator, back-up light switch, seat track, weeping EGR issues so common on these would likely be corrected on my watch.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Actually I'm flying in - Portland to Portland! If it's available I'd trade some parts for use of it. :D

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I just realized you no longer have the B5.5:confused:
not ":confused:", but ":D"!
I'm happier with this $3k A4 Jetta than I was with the $13K B5.5V.

p.s.: add $7k in VW problem correction and that B5.5 was $20k
and at that it still wasn't to my personal definition of 'right'.

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Actually I'm flying in - Portland to Portland! If it's available I'd trade some parts for use of it. :D
We have three B4's and I only need to drive one, so I have another you can borrow. I can even pick you up from the airport since I work only 45 minutes away. Just let me know when you're coming in.

Last edited:

Crawfish00

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta sportwagen, Jetta TDI
I guess I'm the only one in south Florida pondering this trip so far.... Going over the details with the wife as I'm typing this....

k_harley

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2005 Audi S4, 1997 Audi A4 Race car, 2004 Passat TDI 6MT 4motion
Count me in, Ive skied and mountain biked sunday river many times, Bethel is a cool small town. I know that area well. You can stop in North Conway along the way Rt. 16 right after you do the Kancamagus highway.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Glad to see people are planning on making the trip up from Florida. That's awesome! :cool:

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
I think the whole family can do this one. Not sure what to drive up though. We're down to one diesel and its cramped for local rides, never mind long trips. Maybe if I took out the subs....

Last edited:

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Bring the CDI, I will be coming in my Grand Cherokee CRD. The Jetta is too small if the family comes.

BMKruse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW
I'm looking forward to this trip. It will be my first Fest and I think my fiancé doesn't want to join. A weekend of freedom. Sounds awesome.

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
things you want to know about Bethel and Sunday River area

Hi gang I’m new to VW and TDICLUB. I bought a 2012 Golf TDI last November and just love it.

I really wanted to add my two cents worth on the TDIFest at Sunday River Maine. I lived in Bethel for some 15 years and helped build Sunday River. I got caught up in the Ducati scene and put 20,000 miles on the roads of Maine, NH, and Vermont.

With regard to accommodations the Grand Summit and Jordan Grand are great for one stop shoppers. The rooms are just that rooms, the food so so, especially during the off season when the Mtn. is not staffed up with talent.

There are some 2000+ beds available all within 15 min., of the center of activities for the TDI Fest. Check with the Bethel Chamber of Commerce definitely. Furthermore, since it’s a ski town; there are plenty of weekend house rentals available that can accommodate large groups.

If you wander into town there are great B&B’s and Restaurant’s that put out top shelf service and meals all year round.

The Jolly Drayman Pub/Briar Lea is an excellent choice for meals, drinks, and accommodation’s. The Norseman next door has fine rooms and is adjacent to the Bethel Fun Park that kidz and adults alike can enjoy (If it’s open still) . The Rooster Roadhouse and Sunday River Brew Pub are good Pub fare meals. For breakfast there’s the Crossroads. All of these are right on the stretch of RT2 from Bethel to the Sunday River Access Rd.

In town there’s the Suds Pub and Sudbury Inn excellent food and accommodations, Café Di Cocoa for coffee and breakfast, and of course The Bethel Inn and Resort, which offers accommodation’s, fine dining and golf. Home Slice Pizza is good pizza and they deliver and if you’re heading west out of town give Inman’s Diner and Dairy Bar Bethel a go. Bethel is a great town and has a slew of shops worth visiting.

On another note the Androscoggin River is a Blue Ribbon Waterway well worth the time fishing for Rainbow , Browns, and Brook Trout that can be lunker sized. Guided fishing trips can be had with Sun Valley Sports and Guide Service from drift boats. If you’re a fly fisherman do your research there is a huge amount of trophy fishing in the area. Licenses can be had at Sun Valley on the S.R. Access Rd. or the Bear River Trading Post, in Newry on the way to Grafton Notch.

With regard to road tripping there are a half dozen excellent loops out of the Bethel.

From the Grand Loop a half day commitment that goes from Maine to Vermont via Grafton Notch north then west through Island Pond, then south to East St Johnsbury and back east to Bethel on Rt2.

Another would be north to Errol via Grafton Notch then east across the Wilson Mills Road to Oquossoc then south over Height of the Land into Rumford and back west on RT 2 to Bethel.

There are several variations of both those loops to lengthen or shorten the trip.

A third loop of value would be to head west out of town on Rt2 then South through Evan’s Notch to Fryburgh then go west to Conway and North on RT16 to Gorham and east to Bethel again. Basically get out your De Lorme and follow the roads along waterways to get into the twisties and passes through the Presidential’s or Western Maine Mountain passes.

BE ADVISED that the section of RT2 between Rumford and Gilead has the highest number of DUI ‘s in the state of Maine; read that as drive the speed limit and don’t drink. The focal point of DUI’s is between Bethel and the Grafton Notch Rd. Secondly; watch for MOOSE early and at dusk. There will be slews of them out and about. Especially, in Grafton Notch and Oquossoc as you climb to “Height of the Land”.

Lastly, I moved away from the Bethel area in 2007 therefore some of which I have conveyed here may need to be sourced but for the most part I believe the info I have provided is accurate.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I appreciate your feedback, but at this stage in the game your alternative lodging suggestions will only hurt how successful the event is.

That said, we will surely add some of your must-see items to the itinerary. :cool:

Welcome to TDIClub. :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Just about! Should have the final final contract by the end of the week.