Audi side assist fault

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Running errands this afternoon and I stopped by the bank and I noticed that the lights weren't lighting up on my mirrors and the red light on the door wasn't working. I pressed the red button on the door and got the message "Audi side assist fault". My car is clean and nothing covering the sensors on the sides of the bumpers. Is this something that will go away after the next start up after the MMI goes asleep or something else? My son will scan the car tomorrow and I will report back any codes. What I have found on the web that there could be a sensor bad or a control module on the fritz. Have any of you guys dealt with this? Is this something that has to be fixed or is a convenience feature not aligned with anything else?

Last edited:

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
When I left work this afternoon it still showed a fault. Having had a '04 Beetle diesel for almost 6 years, I was used to weird things happening. I opened the door at a stoplight on the way home and when I shut it, the side assist started working again. Will scan it tomorrow but I am starting to think if it continues to happen there may be a bad wire connection or the like. What screen/module in VAGCOM do we need to look at to scan it?

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the car scanned and nothing came up in the regular scan. My son was curious which screen covers the side assist. He is more familiar with the engine screens as that is what he usually deals with. Side assist is something new we have not dealt with before.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Go to Auto Scan ---> Gateway installation list ---> see what all modules come up with RED text. Those are the ones with DTCs. See what they say.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
My son came over for lunch this afternoon and did a complete scan of the car. The only thing that came up was a code for low battery in key fob. I replaced that Friday. He then went into the individual modules and found side assist and scanned it and there was no codes stored. He then unplugged the door cable and looked for water intrusion and pulled back the rubber grommet to look for chaffed wires. Nothing there either that jumped out. You can press the button on the door pillar and it sets off the warning on the screen but there isn't any codes set. That lets me know there is some kind of communication with the button. It has worked on and off this past week at its will and then go off. It has been 2 days that it hasn't worked. Oilhammer do you have any ideas where to look next. My son looked it up on line and there was a post that said there could be a light out but we haven't found that either. It would be nice for it to work but I have drove for almost 50 years without anything like that. I also don't want to throw expensive parts at it. The radar units are $600 each new and the control module is $1,600. Thanks in advance for any direction you may have. Haven't seen any of these in the pull a part lots. Just a couple early Touaregs and Cayennes

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
My son has VagCom and not sure what the output would be. I'm new to this car coming from an '04 Beetle TDI. I know there are weird electrical issues with these cars and still on the learning curve. From what I have learned is that there are 2 radar units under the back bumper, one on each side. This weekend we are going to check the harness in the rear of the bumper to look for water intrusion in the plugs. I have been reading about UDS but we don't have a scanner that does that yet.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
Update to this problem. The last time I posted, I decided to live with it as it doesn't affect any other system. Last night on the way home from work, wala the side assist started working. The only thing that has changed is that we have got down to freezing at night and upper 40's, low 50's during the day. I know the rear sensors reside just above the mufflers on the car. Could this be heat related and if so would that be wiring or the units. As stated above the car has been completely scanned and there wasn't any codes for the side assist module or sensors.