New TDI, time to sell '03 New Beetle 5speed. and '94 Audi Cabriolet

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
Wow that title was hard to write!
This is just a 'heads-up' post if anyone's in the market. Haven't quite got all the details together, and still have to truly convince the wife to let go.

We picked up an EA288-engined Beetle Convertible last week with DSG. As much as my wife and I love the older TDIs, health, home and family demands have resulted in my not being able to keep them up like they deserve. We moved a few years ago, the demands of a fixer-upper house and property are taking up nearly all of my limited capabilities.

The 2003 New Beetle TDI in Sundown Orange we've owned since new, it currently has 210k miles on it and the body is in perfect shape. It's had a .658 5th gear in it for about half of that. Lots of other mods, 2-tone leather interior, and parts included to fix nearly all the 'ills' it currently has:
- full new driver's door panel-painted to match,
- seat bottom frame- current one has a broken runner.
- clockspring to restore the ESP retrofit.(this was the coolest 'mod')
- electric cooling fan set, ready to swap in.
- new rear brake pad/rotor set
- roof antenna and sunroof drain replacement parts.
- set of glow plugs/harness

The 1994 Audi Cabriolet has 80k on it, currently chasing down an intermittent coolant leak, perhaps due to a bypassed heater core. Tons of parts for this one, including a Franz-sourced full AFN swap with lots of goodies. Would love to find someone wanting to complete the swap. Pretty sure its still particularly enticing for Californians as a pre '98 diesel, not requiring SMOG checks. But I'm considering keeping the engine for a non-VW project and selling the car separately.
The Audi has newer shocks/struts/brakes, a new canvas top, has had lots of other fixes to be fully functional, minus the heater core. A/C even works! It has a salvaged 096 Auto trans in it now that has been running great, the tranny is the big gremlin of these cars,(besides the AAH engine and the ignition switch.) The engine had a ton of work done on it at 72k miles.
I also have new leather seat covers for the stock seats.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Wow that title was hard to write!
This is just a 'heads-up' post if anyone's in the market. Haven't quite got all the details together, and still have to truly convince the wife to let go.

We picked up an EA288-engined Beetle Convertible last week with DSG. As much as my wife and I love the older TDIs, health, home and family demands have resulted in my not being able to keep them up like they deserve. We moved a few years ago, the demands of a fixer-upper house and property are taking up nearly all of my limited capabilities.

The 2003 New Beetle TDI in Sundown Orange we've owned since new, it currently has 210k miles on it and the body is in perfect shape. It's had a .658 5th gear in it for about half of that. Lots of other mods, 2-tone leather interior, and parts included to fix nearly all the 'ills' it currently has:
- full new driver's door panel-painted to match,
- seat bottom frame- current one has a broken runner.
- clockspring to restore the ESP retrofit.(this was the coolest 'mod')
- electric cooling fan set, ready to swap in.
- new rear brake pad/rotor set
- roof antenna and sunroof drain replacement parts.
- set of glow plugs/harness

The 1994 Audi Cabriolet has 80k on it, currently chasing down an intermittent coolant leak, perhaps due to a bypassed heater core. Tons of parts for this one, including a Franz-sourced full AFN swap with lots of goodies. Would love to find someone wanting to complete the swap. Pretty sure its still particularly enticing for Californians as a pre '98 diesel, not requiring SMOG checks. But I'm considering keeping the engine for a non-VW project and selling the car separately.
The Audi has newer shocks/struts/brakes, a new canvas top, has had lots of other fixes to be fully functional, minus the heater core. A/C even works! It has a salvaged 096 Auto trans in it now that has been running great, the tranny is the big gremlin of these cars,(besides the AAH engine and the ignition switch.) The engine had a ton of work done on it at 72k miles.
I also have new leather seat covers for the stock seats.
Always loved the "color concept" interiors on the Beetles. Basically GTI seats, which a very comfortable, with fun two tone colors and other interior accents to match. We found a similar blue color concept interior that we swapped into Dee's Beetle a couple years ago. Best upgrade that car has ever had. Unfortunately didn't get the really nice door panels with it. Maybe someday we'll happen upon the right color-matched set.

GLWS. If the stable wasn't already overloaded, I'd seriously consider the Beetle. Love that car. Still remember having to shove an oil pan under it at a San Pablo GTG after someone went a little too fast over the speed bumps ;)

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
Always loved the "color concept" interiors on the Beetles. Basically GTI seats, which a very comfortable, with fun two tone colors and other interior accents to match. We found a similar blue color concept interior that we swapped into Dee's Beetle a couple years ago. Best upgrade that car has ever had. Unfortunately didn't get the really nice door panels with it. Maybe someday we'll happen upon the right color-matched set.

GLWS. If the stable wasn't already overloaded, I'd seriously consider the Beetle. Love that car. Still remember having to shove an oil pan under it at a San Pablo GTG after someone went a little too fast over the speed bumps ;)
Thanks, Matt! Right before that GTG Aaron was pushing a skid plate on me and I declined because I'd made it 8 years without one, and we just don't have speed bumps around here. It was raining so hard the speed bumps disappeared from the water pooling around them. I don't think Aaron ever made a quicker sale.
But honestly my most cringe-worthy moment of that weekend that still bugs me was when I got home that Saturday night and realized I somehow had one of your tools in my bag.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I had a 2005 NB that was Sundown Orange, love that color! Looks so good on them. GLWS!

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
sent you a PM thanks to Matt. :)

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I remember when you came to one of the GTG with your new leather interior and it was a very nice upgrade. I would say that the car has served you well all these years!
And yes, those pesky speed bumps in San Pablo sure did d some minor damage to a handful of vehicles over the years but nothing that JB Weld could not fix.

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
After looking at the market, we decided to keep everything for now. We realized that our daughter gets her driver's permit in 20 short months, and our son 2 years after that...