TDIFest 2013 coming to Sunday River Ski Resort (Newry, Maine)

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
The location of TDIFest 2013 finally has been selected. Yes, this announcement is later than normal, but it is now official that TDIFest 2013 will be coming the Sunday River ski resort, which is near Newrly, Main on the Labour Day weekend (August 30th to September 1st, 2013).

This year's crew will be led by Steve (Sootman) and Lawson (VeeDubTDI) with the core support coming from Andrew (GeekDrew), Mike (BlueCTTDi) and RichC from CinciTDI.

The selected hotel is the Grand Summit Hotel and Conference Center (http://www.sundayriver.com/lodging/LodgingDescriptions/GrandSummitHotel.html) and hotel reservation details will be coming very soon, probably before the end of the month and TDIFest registration will be opening in the next few months.

Once again, congratulations to this year's organizing committee and hope to see you in Maine.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Woohoo! This location is amazing - we went up and visited on Jan 2nd to scope it out and I think the layout is going to be great. There are a ton of outdoor activities in the summer, hiking, biking, zip lines, ATV rentals in town, etc.

Anyone interested in volunteering for event management and advanced planning, please send a PM to sootman with your contact information. We have a few "positions" open as well as general volunteer slots. :cool:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Just a 8hrs drive,looks like a real nice place:).We will be there.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Great news. Sunday River is a nice mountain, Bethel (closest town) is a nice town. This will be fun.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Great news. Sunday River is a nice mountain, Bethel (closest town) is a nice town. This will be fun.
I really enjoyed my quick tour through Bethel - great local shops and plenty of places to explore. :cool:

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Ca is NOT too far away you drive A DIESEL..............

In addition the Maine sea Coast is a New England jewel as is the whole Northeast Kingdom as it is sometimes called.

Sootman has our 100% commitment from the Ho5G and the North East TDI Club members.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I did last year, but I really don't want to do it again unless it is an emergency. Last year I was able to tie in a trip to the 150th anniversary commemoration of the Civil War battle where my Great-Great-Grandfather was killed. It was a three week trip.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Driving roads

I highly recommend a side trip to climb Mount Washington. It's a climb made for diesels.
Great suggestion! The summit of Mt. Washington is an hour and twenty minutes from Sunday River and would definitely be a great afternoon jaunt. There are also a number of other great local drives - we'll be putting together some sort of a group drive this year, for sure!

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Already have my vacation approved.

:)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Bummer - too far away.
I concur. Perhaps it's time we start seriously talking about the 2014 TDIFest someplace closer to us.

Ca is NOT too far away you drive A DIESEL..............
It's not the miles, it's the time. Over 2800 miles and 42 hours on the road (for me) each way (and another couple of hours for romad). That's 3 days at 14 hours a day on the road or 4 days at 10.5 hours a day. Therefore we are talking about 8 days on the road for a 3 day event. It might be different if I had friends or family in New England, but...

Have Fun!

Don

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Oy....Dunno if I'll make this one. I will cross my fingers and pencil it in. No promises. :confused:

I'll try. It's the best I can give ya'll right now.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
So fly out, you guys in the West. There are enough New Englanders around that we can get you to Sunday River from Boston or Portland, I bet. Or rent a car. It'll be faster and cheaper than driving.

Fred has a thread here for the 2014 Fest: It would be great to have one on the West Coast.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I'm wicked excited that this has come together. Many thanks to all who have been involved in the preliminary work. Late August/early September should have great weather with days in the 70/80's and night in the 60's. The bugs are usually gone by then too:D.

A trip up the Mt. Washington road for sure and I've plotted out 2 other tours through the western Maine mountains. Great drives, little traffic and lots of turns and scenic views.

The hotel is excellent and really offers tons of activities right on site. I realize this may be too far east for some but remember that for some like folks in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and parts of Quebec will be traveling west. It an easy drive from Montreal and parts of Ontario. It's about 13 hours from Detroit so east of the Mississippi should be do-able for folks in the US.

Can'twait for the fun to begin!

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I was up in that area during the summer of 81, a beautiful place. I spent a month starting in the Boston area then all across Maine. Then a few weeks running around the Merritines of Canada. That last time I was up there was summer of 87, spent a couple of weeks with my first wife running around VT, NH, ME, Quebec, and New Brunswick.

I would love!!! to work out getting back to area for this. But a lot of things will have to go into place for me to make it....

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
We were in that neck of the woods in 1979 driving my '69 VW Beetle.

Well, we are still planning a road trip to Alaska with the departure to be no later than July 5th. We have to be back in time for the arrival of our third grand child in mid-August.

The timing will be cutting it close, but if all goes well with the new addition to the family, we will be there!

I believe the activities will be awesome!

Goodtian

TDI
Jetta 6MT TDI 2012, Platinum grey
200 miles from Montreal! Thank you guys!
I can't wait! This will be my second Fest

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I have to work every other weekend, and this doesn't fall on one of my weekends off. Sorry guys. So damn close as well.
Being 6+ months out, you can't switch with someone or request the time off? :eek: