Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCBinaflash

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
You're just jealous because I know a guy who knows a guy
I am jealous, but mostly of people that don't have to think this stuff or deal with this mess at all.

I heard from a buddy that works on the internet we are getting full MSRP and $8.00 for every post read on Threadzilla

wutech

TDI
2012 Jetta
VW has a 2 year plan to return these cars. This isn't going to be a mad rush that VW can't handle.

I don't even see why anyone cares if Carmax is involved. Really, why would it even matter anyways where you take your car.

They aren't going to inspect them and grade value the cars. It's cheaper the pay everyone for 1 value grade than to inspect 500k vehicles and set up the systems to administer this program and fight the owners that disagree.

Pointless conversation unless it being reported by reliable sources that don't include " someone I know works there"

I've seen many of this types of posts and not 1 of them has proven accurate in any meaningful way.

I think we will be given a letter to report buyback or fix is desired.

A couple months after that each owner that is doing buyback will receive a letter that details location and time frame to drop car off to receive payment. It will be well orchestrated and not just a randomizer m show up to get a check.

AmandaSch

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Does anyone know what exactly will be happening at the May 19 court date? Is it just to say hi, hello, how are you? Or just basically a status update to see how they're progressing? But what if by some amazing miracle, lol, they said we have all the details worked out? ?

bigdogdan2

TDI
Jetta
Used it for an OEM fog light kit and all the one-time-use hardware for coilovers. Have about $65 left that will go to an oil change if its due before the buyback.

Will sell the fog light kit after the buyback.
You just get the OEM fog light kit from the VW dealership? Does it have a good resale? Looking for some good options for stuff to buy that have a decent resale value if I don't end up keeping the tdi.

thanks

thanksimgruven

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Does anyone know what exactly will be happening at the May 19 court date? Is it just to say hi, hello, how are you? Or just basically a status update to see how they're progressing? But what if by some amazing miracle, lol, they said we have all the details worked out? ?
you'd think a few CEO's could figure it out by May 19. The longer this thing takes then more likely they're trying to find a fix.. Quicker to figure out how to cut checks/gather cars than it is to re-enginner a vehicle which they can do, given a price point of buybacks.

Galo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta 6mt, Malone Stage I, Goals
California already blocked registration for people who didn't go in for the 2306 recall.
That's different.....VERY different! Why?? Because it WAS A FIX THAT WAS AVAILABLE. Okay, it did not fix anything, but it was a 'fix' in CARB's eyes

Not applying that fix = illegal and yes, registration could have been blocked, but if no fix is available, and there's no choice except:
- force an unwarranted expense or harm to the vehicle's user or
- block registration
they can't block registration.

If they do, we can take THEM (CARB) to court!

C C

TDI
GSW
I spent all but 51¢ on filters and dress up doodads. Even with a generous discount, $499.49 didn't buy all that much stuff. Not interested in maintenance plans as I use the bloodied knuckle garage behind the house instead of the not-so-local dealers with their shady service departments. I would rather not spent the money at all if my only choices were those two dealerships.

I'm leaning toward spending the other goodwill card to purchase a Frostheater and VCDS. Praying the EA288 engine does not require tweaks that kill performance and economy to satisfy government overlords. The Sportwagen TDI is a sweet package and I would hate to see it ruined by superfluous mandates.

GSwag

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Vw may drive the cars over to carmax after we take them in for the buy back, but there is NO WAY IN HELL vw is going to let the owners initiate the process by driving their cars to a car as. Vw will want to get their shot at you first and if they don't, well nobody is that stupid.

There are 158 carmax facilities in the US. There are about 650 VW dealers in the US. You do the math. I don't want to have to drive 1.5 hours to get to my nearest carmax when vw is 20 minutes away. All of this carmax talk is folly, brought on by boredom of reading a thread that has nothing to do besides wait on a june 21 date.

Last edited:

bglf83

TDI
Jetta
That's different.....VERY different! Why?? Because it WAS A FIX THAT WAS AVAILABLE. Okay, it did not fix anything, but it was a 'fix' in CARB's eyes

Not applying that fix = illegal and yes, registration could have been blocked, but if no fix is available, and there's no choice except:
- block registration

Fighting an enemy that has near unlimited resources is very hard.....

Also you cannot sue for monetary damages since it's the government, you may be able to get them to let you register your car, but a Bently is probably a better way to spend that money.

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn
I am jealous, but mostly of people that don't have to think this stuff or deal with this mess at all.

I heard from a buddy that works on the internet we are getting full MSRP and $8.00 for every post read on Threadzilla

Damn I am going to be getting some big VWmoney then! :)

jhawklver

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I think we will be given a letter to report buyback or fix is desired.

A couple months after that each owner that is doing buyback will receive a letter that details location and time frame to drop car off to receive payment. It will be well orchestrated and not just a randomizer m show up to get a check.
I agree. Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I am a season ticket holder for KU FB. We have a "select-a-seat" each Spring where they give you a date and time to pick your seats. Earlier times go to those who have more "points" and are then done by donation (you get more points the more you donate and for other things).

Long story short, I could see VW do something like what you have above in a buyback scenario and the select-a-seat process. Give those who want out now a way to arrange it, but for the rest of us have it to be much more scheduled. We'll be given a range but will probably need to schedule a time (just like a service appt) because we'll likely need to have picked out our other car and make arrangements for that side of it.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I asked the three VW dealers near our state capital for a 40,000 mile (non-DSG) service quote.

You will not believe how close their strikes were to the $500 target.

still hoping for the best in this vw - EPA circus..........

ez

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"

- block registration

So far they haven't because there aren't any solutions available. However, if after July 26th there is a fix or buyback available and you refuse to do either of them, then they can legally block registration.

Desert

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
I hope some day when I retire (IF I am able to retire) I can find something better to do than blog on the internet about fuel prices. :p

Good thing I have hobbies. Although most of them revolve around cars. :cool:
We're all hoping you never retire, and rather choose to tinker with TDI's for the remainder of your days on this NOx-choked earth.

:)

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Goes way beyond VW's tiny footprint in the USA

Vw may drive the cars over to carmax after we take them in for the buy back, but there is NO WAY IN HELL vw is going to let the owners initiate the process by driving their cars to a car as. Vw will want to get their shot at you first and if they don't, well nobody is that stupid.
There are 158 carmax facilities in the US. There are about 650 VW dealers in the US. You do the math. I don't want to have to drive 1.5 hours to get to my nearest carmax when vw is 20 minutes away. All of this carmax talk is folly, brought on by boredom of reading a thread that has nothing to do besides wait on a june 21 date.
CarMax sells 1 million vehicles a year between wholesale and retail. CarMax has the largest wholesale auction in the USA. Yes, larger then Mannheim. CarMax has appraisers in place to handle the volume, and the freight partners and system to move the cars. CarMax has the funding in place to handle what ever agreement is in place to pay on site for vehicles and bill VW if needed. There is no better partner to help facilitate the shear number of vehicles that will driving to dealers once the doors have opened for business.
If you think VW alone can handle this I believe you are mistaken. Research the volume of business created by cash for clunkers and realize that was distributed among thousands of dealers.

Last edited:

shovelhd

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
Don't forget what happened when they opened the door for goodwill card registration. If there's a good way to screw this buyback up, VW will find a better way.

Gavin

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
CarMax sells 1 million vehicles a year between wholesale and retail. CarMax has the largest wholesale auction in the USA. Yes, larger then Mannheim. CarMax has appraisers in place to handle the volume, and the freight partners and system to move the cars. CarMax has the funding in place to handle what ever agreement is in place to pay on site for vehicles and bill VW if needed. There is no better partner to help facilitate the shear number of vehicles that will driving to dealers once the doors have opened for business.
If you think VW alone can handle this you are mistaken. Research the volume of business created by cash for clunkers and realize that was distributed among thousands of dealers.
My thoughts exactly vw cannot handle the volume of cars being bought back.

To those that say that it won't work because the closest carmax is way further than their dealer.

Id imagine vehicles will being bought back at carmax and at vw dealers. Probably depending on which is closer or your situation.

I could also see that if vw is offering incentives to stay with the brand. The owners who choose to take that offer would be directed to a vw dealer for buyback or carmax if they are leaving the brand. Makes sense to me.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

CSR Penfab

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux Tdi
Don't forget what happened when they opened the door for goodwill card registration. If there's a good way to screw this buyback up, VW will find a better way.
Egg Zachary! There's no way the cluster f*ck geniuses at your local dealer can handle this buyback on their own. Whether it's CarMax or some other route, VW will need serious help to pull this off without getting themselves further ****ed.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
My thoughts exactly vw cannot handle the volume of cars being bought back.
This also assumes that everyone will submit to a buyback. I doubt everyone will give in to a buyback, but obviously, we don't know true data on who would and wouldn't, aside from people who have spoken up on this and other forums.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
This also assumes that everyone will submit to a buyback. I doubt everyone will give in to a buyback, but obviously, we don't know true data on who would and wouldn't, aside from people who have spoken up on this and other forums.
I'm not sure that many will... Especially those with longer commutes or frequent long trips. That's one area where these cars shine better then pretty much any other car on the road.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I'm not sure that many will... Especially those with longer commutes or frequent long trips. That's one area where these cars shine better then pretty much any other car on the road.
These cars (well...my Jetta...at least) excel in fuel economy. Period. They're not more comfortable than any other car out there, more reliable, better made, Etc. They just have better fuel economy than most cars. What remains to be seen is just how many people are unwilling to give that one TDI trait up. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that AT LEAST half will:

-The people that supposedly bought the cars primarily because they were "clean" diesels...you can pretty much count all of them in. There's no telling how many people that is though.

-The people that are at 'xx,xxx' or 'xxx,xxx' miles, were Ok with their cars, but not in love with it, and would rather take VW up on a buyback offer than wait around for a "fix."

-The people that get a new car every few years anyways.

-People that didn't have great experiences with their car (reliability wise) and are ready to cut their losses.

I could go on and on. Regardless of opinions shared here...AT LEAST half of 2.0 TDI owners will cough their cars up, unless VWs buyback offers aren't that great.

Last edited:

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
CarMax sells 1 million vehicles a year between wholesale and retail. CarMax has the largest wholesale auction in the USA. Yes, larger then Mannheim.
Would rather deal with CarMax than my local VW dealer. And I think it's pretty safe to assume most of us would rather not go back to a VW dealer.

Better selection of autos at CarMax if we want to do trades and what's messed up is VW's U.S. product line of so many models they do not carry here but do overseas. VW dealers are in a sad state but the CarMax idea would further alienate their dealer network so I doubt it.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
So what is the word on our dirty diesels.
I believe VW should just give us a brand new car, say one of the new 1.4 diesels they have now which is the only diesel that is compliant.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
For carmax void areas, I imagine they would assist dealers with logistics for, no Carmax dealers north of Danvers MA.

For those remote areas they would let the cars pile up them call up an arraigned transporter and get them off the lot.

As much as people think these cars will flood the lots, many people aren't waiting baited breath to get rid of their cars, VW is putting no time pressure on people to unload them so most will sit and make their decision, mean while keep racking up the miles on their sweet rides.

Janimal444

TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SE
The thing I am really considering most when trying to make my decision is how will future resale value of these cars be affected by this scandal. I drive 30,000 miles a year and really like my car, so I am certainly in no rush to get rid of it.

However, I was never planning on running the car into the ground and keeping it forever either. If private resale value will plummet on these cars in the future and I will get pennies on the dollar, then it may be hard for me to pass up a buyback offer. I guess I am not going to stress out about it too much and just see how everything plays out.

jjm

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE; 2017 Golf TSI Wolfsburg (replaced 2012 Golf Hatch (Bought back by VW)
Would rather deal with CarMax than my local VW dealer. And I think it's pretty safe to assume most of us would rather not go back to a VW dealer.
Better selection of autos at CarMax if we want to do trades and what's messed up is VW's U.S. product line of so many models they do not carry here but do overseas. VW dealers are in a sad state but the CarMax idea would further alienate their dealer network so I doubt it.

I for one have no issue with my local dealer. They have helped me out multiple times with service items on my older Golf and on non-VWs. Who the heck is CarMax and why would you trust them? They are a business in it for the money as well. Seems like a lot of folks on this forum don't like VW, don't like their VW dealer, and don't like their TDIs. I have dealt with may auto brands and their manufacturers and have yet to find the perfect one.

GSwag

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
If you think VW alone can handle this I believe you are mistaken. Research the volume of business created by cash for clunkers and realize that was distributed among thousands of dealers.
And VW has little to gain by using them and a LOT to lose by using carmax for this. It would totally piss off the VW dealer network, at a time when relations are pretty fragile. VW would have to PAY even more to carmax to handle the situation, their dealer network could handle the job cheaper and maintain more control over the process.

If VW is stupid and foolish enough to give people money for their tdis, and let them stroll into carmax to turn in their car with a pocket full of money, when they are needing another car, they really don't deserve to be in business where profit is of a concern.

It's already been established that the buy back will be a lengthy process up to two years. I think that gives VW plenty of time to handle the situation.

And contrary to your opinion, i think VW is not at that much of a disadvantage to carmax in doing this. Their dealers have a 4:1 advantage in numbers, and they aren't totally new to valuing used cars, etc.

I see the logic in what you say, but there is no way VW gives carmax first shot at vw buy back money.... None.

VW may use their services for transportation, etc. but they will want back as much of the market share as they can get and know they will get very little if customer turn their cars in at any place except a VW dealer, regardless of how efficient another company can accomplish all this.

My guess is that since they have a couple years to do this, vw will take certain years of cars in at certain times, or plan it out in some other fashion similar. Nobody knows at this point but there are aspects that are known through common business sense, and one of those is you don't send you customer to another dealer with a pocket full of money you just handed over.

Status
Not open for further replies.