www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old October 9th, 2016, 16:28   #16
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

SAD FACT - and hate to give any credit to Europeans....
The list of diesel cars they have (or had) to choose from
is literally (not literally but you know what I mean)..... A MILE LONG.

I don't have time to list them but anything we have in gas,
there is almost always was an oil burning version.

You can (could) get anything in diesel including a Ford Focus hatch.
so many options in diesel passenger cars/wagons or utility vehicles.

Last edited by gmcjetpilot; October 9th, 2016 at 16:42.
gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 18:16   #17
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

An older friend of mine hauls his Porsche 944T to track events with his '85ish Toyota diesel pickup. His other track buddies all tow their cars with much newer big Ford, Chevy, and Dodge diesel trucks. The Toyota always gets him there, just not quite as fast. He has a small import classic car business, and usually has some really cool old Porsches, VW's, Mercs, Fiats, etc. in the showroom. The Toyota is immaculate (like all his stuff), looks like it just rolled off the assembly line.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016, 06:25   #18
panda
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmansans View Post
They forgot the 190d. Family friend had that car. Slow as a tortoise, but reliable as heck. He had 400k on it with no major issues. Sadly a left turn intersection and a speeding driver ended it's run.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I owned a well used 1964 190D for a number of years. I took it to grad school with me and was able to get it running most days in Wisconsin when the temperature often never rose to 0 degrees F. They were great cars, I always suspected about 400K miles but the odometer only went to 100K and was mostly broken all the time I owed the car.
Old November 21st, 2016, 07:33   #19
piotrsko
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46 city/56 hwy so far wonder what the Golf gets

you are forgetting the 1980 series of Ford ranger with a perkins 4 cyl,

and the ubiquitous vw pickup with I believe was a 1.6 I think around 1975
piotrsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2016, 10:17   #20
GWbiker
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda View Post
I owned a well used 1964 190D for a number of years. I took it to grad school with me and was able to get it running most days in Wisconsin when the temperature often never rose to 0 degrees F. They were great cars, I always suspected about 400K miles but the odometer only went to 100K and was mostly broken all the time I owed the car.
I owned a MB '63 190Dc. Rattled, smoked, rumbled and slow, but gave me near 50MPG on Diesel and sometimes home heating oil.

It eventually became the victim of the "Tin Worm" (RUST), as North East Pennsylvania snow/ice weather took it's toll.
GWbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2016, 10:41   #21
Ranch

TDI(s): ALH

'were the 2005-2006 Liberties any good'. Right out of the box? not-so-much.. but with time and mods.... pretty respectable.
Well, Jeep made a LOT of them, and most were exported. Tons of right hand drives were built.. The Europeans gobbled them up so fast and Jeep eventually stopped sending them gas versions.
The VM motori 2.8 4 cylinder diesel 'alone' is a very good base... but what it had to endure to make it 'compliant' epa wise, caused some issues.
2 overhead cams, 4 valves per cylinder, goofy coolant routing, even goofier thermostat housing, cp3 common rail, and couple all this to a lock-up style automatic transmission (NA models only... European could be manual version)
Result; a severely shuddering torque convertor at low engine, mid vehicle speed and the resulting puked transmission. Chrysler's fix: change the 'tune, and lower low end torque... by a ton. I guess the European version had a heftier TC in the first place.. but thought the soccer moms 'here' needed a smoother shifting transmission. uggg. oh, and to fix the engine vibration... too mushy engine mounts were installed. *short service life
These engines are not TB friendly, they need at least as much concern with miles on timing belt as our TDi's.
I have an 06 libby, and with typical mods done, ( green diesel tunes, egr elimination, shudder valve elimination, cat lobotomy, and most important; CCV reroute!) The ol lump-turd... knocks out about 28 combined MPG.
My TC shuddering has returned with the new ecm flash, and am going to install a hemi torque convertor. Man, I wish these were available 'here' with the manual!! Just finding a manual ecm to ship here is next to impossible. So no probable trans swap in the future for me.
Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2016, 12:20   #22
sandmansans
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Best tank:54.7. Drove From Chattanooga Tennesse to Poconos PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWbiker View Post
I owned a MB '63 190Dc. Rattled, smoked, rumbled and slow, but gave me near 50MPG on Diesel and sometimes home heating oil.

It eventually became the victim of the "Tin Worm" (RUST), as North East Pennsylvania snow/ice weather took it's toll.
Lol funny hearing those stories. Thr family friends was newer than both of yours but I just always remembered how sLooooowwww that thing was. But incredibly reliable and super mpgs.

On another side note. Those 190 were almost as comically unstable at the tires as the bmws. My friend had a 190 (gasser) and I can't count all of the times that damn car went sideways for no apparent reason haha.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
sandmansans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2016, 14:31   #23
atc98002
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrsko View Post
you are forgetting the 1980 series of Ford ranger with a perkins 4 cyl,

and the ubiquitous vw pickup with I believe was a 1.6 I think around 1975
The VW Pickup was 1981 I believe, which was the first year of the 1.6. My 1980 Rabbit had the 1.5.
2010 Routan gone, replaced with 2018 Pacifica Hybrid: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2016, 07:00   #24
Chris B
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/48/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBarlow View Post
I know very little about it but believe it was a good product. I think only a small number were produced. I think I would have liked one.

Didn't it use a version of the Fiat turbo diesel that is now offered in Ram1500s and Jeep Grand Cherokees?
I owned a 2005 Liberty CRD. It was a typical DaimlerChrysler POS! It self-destructed faster than I could fix it. It ate EGR valves every 20K. It ate the intake "FCV" or anti-shudder valve every 40K. Intercooler hoses, U-joints, engine mounts, injector seals (exhaust leaks), and a host of other issues. Part of the problems where due to the FUBAR ECU programming that ran so much EGR trying to meet the NOx limits that the engine was basically choking on it's own sh!t. Once I finally "cheated" the EGR, it ran 100% better and quit blowing a black cloud behind it all the time. The engine was a VM Motori 2.8L 4 banger that is a solid piece until they mucked it up.

That said, it was a very nice vehicle to drive, when it was all together. Tons of torque, close to 30 mpg on the highway, quiet. The seats were hard as a rock, but otherwise it was comfortable. I dumped it just before it rolled 100K miles, and I did more work on that thing than I've done to my Jetta in 300K! Good riddance.

Chris
Old November 23rd, 2016, 10:36   #25
drucifer
Veteran Member

Whether they had impact or not ford ranger 1986, ford temp about the same time and mazda pickup around 1990. I used to see a landscaper with a Mazda and a large trailer in town.
drucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2019, 16:46   #26
legendman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 on winter blend

And one that everyone seems to forget about... Peugeot
legendman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2019, 14:49   #27
LeeM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55.2/50.1/41.9

Had a 1976 diesel Peugeot 504 station wagon with a whopping 60 hp, 0-60 mph time was somewhere around 19 seconds. The most comfortable riding vehicle I have ever owned. The "Tin Worm" devoured it.
LeeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2019, 16:26   #28
legendman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 on winter blend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM View Post
Had a 1976 diesel Peugeot 504 station wagon with a whopping 60 hp, 0-60 mph time was somewhere around 19 seconds. The most comfortable riding vehicle I have ever owned. The "Tin Worm" devoured it.

You are 100% correct about comfortable, had a 505 Wagon
By far the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in.
legendman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2019, 16:46   #29
casioqv

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
mention that VW diesels have been in USA since the 1970's. Also Isuzu had a diesel truck, which I'd buy if I could find one, much less one in good condition. They are so simple and easy to convert to veg oil. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN8t-dpyko4

I had an '86 Isuzu Trooper Turbo Diesel. It was an incredible offroad vehicle, but dangerously slow on California freeways and up hills- it could not keep up with fully loaded semis up grades, and they had to pass. I once was side by side on flat ground with an early VW Bus (a T1 - only 54hp I think but 900lbs lighter than the Trooper) that had a bunch of huge wood lawn chairs strapped to the roof. I held the throttle to the floor, but the T1 was gone ahead of me over the horizon after a few minutes.

Passengers would always tell me 'this thing really needs a Turbo' and look disappointed when I told them it already had one. I can't imagine what the non-turbo versions in the Isuzu pickup trucks were like.

Last edited by casioqv; April 30th, 2019 at 16:49.
casioqv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 03:27   #30
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 800km/1100km/tank

I did not see any mention of the '80s XJ Jeeps with the 2.1 Renault. Also, in that time period, Fiat sent over medium duty diesel trucks - I have a little Iveco cabover that is a fantastic truck.
4L='15 Q7 TDI, B7='15TDI(buy back), B6='09 wagon gasser, A4=2003 TDI Variant, A3=Golf CL, A2=2x1.6 Jetta TDs, Golf Syncro Country, A1=Scirocco Mk1 & 16v, Audi 5000TD, 2014 I, Porsche 924/M471 and a bunch of diesel trucks.
Pat Dolan is offline   Reply With Quote