Aftermarket Lighting Question (signal style/coding)

I3arruka

TDI
Titan - 2015 VW Golf TDI

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The BEC auto MK7.5 LED tails are what I have and love them. It looks like they may not have the exact ones anymore with the amber signals, but maybe worth asking. I think I paid $400 for the set that included the wiring harness, and clear instructions on all the coding needed to be done. I don't typically do appearance mods, but really like these lights! Here is what they look like (the 1:38 mark is when they use the hazards/turn signals)

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
The BEC auto MK7.5 LED tails are what I have and love them. It looks like they may not have the exact ones anymore with the amber signals, but maybe worth asking. I think I paid $400 for the set that included the wiring harness, and clear instructions on all the coding needed to be done. I don't typically do appearance mods, but really like these lights! Here is what they look like (the 1:38 mark is when they use the hazards/turn signals)
I wish BEC would come out with the equivalents for Sportwagens. Like you, I don't normally do exterior mods either, but after living with the Osram LEDriving projectors, I got hooked on the sequential turn indicators; so much so that I actually went ahead and got the matching Osram sequential mirror indicators. Amber sequential tails would complete the picture.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, as nice as the lights are..they failed state inspection here in VA today. No DOT markings on them, maybe that's why they don't sell them any longer. Didn't have a problem last year, but probably got lucky.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Well, as nice as the lights are..they failed state inspection here in VA today. No DOT markings on them, maybe that's why they don't sell them any longer. Didn't have a problem last year, but probably got lucky.
Oh man, I guess we're just not entitled to have nice things...

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a picky inspector. I've had the car deleted for exactly 4 years and never had an issue. Got dinged for no DPF and no CAT. The CAT I can easily fix and no problem. DPF is long gone, not to mention how big a PITA that would be to put back.

I3arruka

TDI
Titan - 2015 VW Golf TDI
Thanks for all the input!

adjat84th: Those are really nice lights, I go back and forth between those lights and the cheaper ones. It's hard to decide if its $150 more worth it you know?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to coding and was considering getting the OBDeleven for being able just to press a button to do things. It seems tho I will have to learn though if I want the desired effect.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
In all seriousness, if I ever travel for work again..our corporate office is in downtown Chicago and would be happy to help with the coding. I'm sure there are some members close by though that could help you if you need it. Check out the Midwest area regional discussions sub-forum here and see if there is someone close if you decide to pull the trigger. BEC's instructions were spot-on!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I agree - it's nice to "press a button and have it do things", but if/when something goes sideways, or you like 90% of something, but just wished it did this one thing slightly different....it's nice to have a more solid comprehension of what you're actually doing when you "press the button".

Last edited:

I3arruka

TDI
Titan - 2015 VW Golf TDI
adjat84th: I think I will take you up on that if by then I haven't done anything. Haven't been to any meet in a LONG time (back in the day 6th Gen Celica).

Nuje: Sigh* Yeah I know...This TDI is the most techy car I've had and coding seems to be real common place for VW owners in general VS an OG Toyota/Honda owner. I think I'm going to read up and learn how to do this manually because I want to be 100% happy like you said.

Thanks again everyone

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
The mk7.5 lights are definately nicer. Ed at BEC is fussy about what he sells. The 250 ones you referenced I'd bet you'd find disapointingly crappy. Spend a little more and get quality or don't do more than convert bulbs to brighter leds.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
In case you haven't seen it, another thread (and a mostly-workable solution) popped up a couple weeks after this one.