ULSD station locations

TopherDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
karlthev said:
Sorry for the absence here---I'm out of town and won't retun for days--I just know you've missed me!

I will find fuel and will establish some useable mental notes of where, along my typcial routes of travel, I can reliably find it. Should I inadvertently miscalculate my travel range and find myself stranded and without a suitable fuel source, please give me serious consideration for a "lift". I'll be holding a sign up with my "handle", karlthev and will be proclaiming "ULSD, ULSD.." at the top of my lungs!:D

Karl
I'll be looking, likely in vein. Good Luck.

BTW say hi to the folks at Lion's Head for me, its been a while but I used to haunt the brewery quite often.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Guys,

Roadside assistance (part of your VW warranty) will bring you up to 2(?) gallons of fuel in the unlikely instance of you actually running out of fuel.

Bill

PalosParked

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW Black/Black, DSG, Panoramic Sunroof
vw warranty roadside assistance

Roadside assistance (part of your VW warranty) will bring you up to 2(?) gallons of fuel
Bill, that's good to know.....Do you think it will be ULSD? ....Wouldn't it be a kick if it was a warranty delivery of B11 for an '09 TDI?

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
I did think it rather odd that some towns in Pa, and Va, had stations marked LSD and warnings against using it in 2007 and up cars.

Karl, in my humble travels, I did notice that diesel gets cheaper the closer you get to a Turnpike, and there are better stations. The price of diesel in my town is at $2.59, but stations in Pa that are 30 miles away, or in Big Pool MD (47 miles away) are only $2.29. I just fill up on the way home from a roadtrip.

karlthev

Veteran Member
TDI
Heh, heh, thanks....as always!:D I'll be OK. I may sound like a lost sheep but that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm a pretty fair hiker as well so....I'm never stranded, only slowed down on occasion.

Karl

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
TornadoRed said:
When your car has a range of 500-700 miles, you don't need to the locations of stations every 20 miles along your main route. All you need to know are the locations of a handful of good stations.
http://www.pennsylvaniagasprices.com/map_gas_prices.aspx
Just select diesel and zoom in until the prices show up on the map.
There are stations with diesel along all the major highways: Interstates 80, 84, 81. 78, 95, 476, etc. $2.49-2.59 in PA, some cheaper stations in NJ.
Thank you,

That was the best link yet. I am getting my first TDI in just a couple of weeks, so this will help me.

I saw all the Sunoco diesel was $0.15 ($3.15/gal) higher on the map. I also checked one of their pumps the other day and it didn't say anything about being Sunoco Gold. It did say ULSD on the pump, but I think all of the stations in my area are ULSD. Is all Sunoco diesel Sunoco Gold?

karlthev

Veteran Member
TDI
I have to agree the best link! I now have had my TDI for over a year and have near 30,000 miles on it, do some extensive travel and have never, EVER had any difficulties in finding ULSD for it.

Karl

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
karlthev said:
I have to agree the best link! I now have had my TDI for over a year and have near 30,000 miles on it, do some extensive travel and have never, EVER had any difficulties in finding ULSD for it.
Karl
Thank you Karl,

That is great news. I know you were skeptical, so it is comforting to know I probably won’t have any problems. There are a number of stations near my home with ULSD, so I should be fine.

I am just trying to get the best source possible, in case there is a link with the fuel quality and the HPFP failures. From my initial reading, I thought the Sunoco Gold might provide the missing lubricity that was lost with the change to ULSD, but I feel a little put off seeing the cost of the Sunoco diesel and not seeing any clear label to indicate that it is Sunoco Gold.

I have Sunoco, Exxon, Hess, Luckoil, and a few other local names to choose from within a few miles of my home. All of the prices are within a few cents of each other, except the 15 cents more for Sunoco. I just wondered if it was worth the extra money for Sunoco and if all Sunoco diesel might be Sunoco Gold.

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Not that I've had to use it for any reason other than convenience on a road trip, but the "WHERE" application for iPhones lists Diesel as a separate fuel category and so far (recently tested on a round trip from MA to FL to MA) it has been very accurate and up to date, even showing how "old" the price info is.

-dan

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
VW's Diesel Tracker, at least in my part of the world, is very incomplete, out of date, and inaccurate.

-dan

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
ksing44 said:
Thank you Karl,

That is great news. I know you were skeptical, so it is comforting to know I probably won’t have any problems. There are a number of stations near my home with ULSD, so I should be fine.

I am just trying to get the best source possible, in case there is a link with the fuel quality and the HPFP failures. From my initial reading, I thought the Sunoco Gold might provide the missing lubricity that was lost with the change to ULSD, but I feel a little put off seeing the cost of the Sunoco diesel and not seeing any clear label to indicate that it is Sunoco Gold.

I have Sunoco, Exxon, Hess, Luckoil, and a few other local names to choose from within a few miles of my home. All of the prices are within a few cents of each other, except the 15 cents more for Sunoco. I just wondered if it was worth the extra money for Sunoco and if all Sunoco diesel might be Sunoco Gold.
Since you ordered your car with nav, I figured you might want to know that one of the POI settings shows fuel stations that carry diesel on the map, indicated by a blue gas pump symbol with a 'D' on it. Pretty cool feature and very handy for when you're driving in unfamiliar locations. Of course, the accuracy of this is limited by Navteq and their POI/map updates, but I have found it to be mostly accurate except in very remote locations.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Pelican18TQA4 said:
Since you ordered your car with nav, I figured you might want to know that one of the POI settings shows fuel stations that carry diesel on the map, indicated by a blue gas pump symbol with a 'D' on it. Pretty cool feature and very handy for when you're driving in unfamiliar locations. Of course, the accuracy of this is limited by Navteq and their POI/map updates, but I have found it to be mostly accurate except in very remote locations.
Great, the nav will be good for more than just those pretty buttons!!! I was confident I would be fine at home and probably also on major highways, but with the nav helping me I should be good to go just about anywhere I will likely go. Thank you for great information as always.

profmike

TDI
2010 Golf
I live in the Chicago area. There's plenty of ULSD diesel stations here. Most of the pumps are labeled with the ULSD label somewhere near or on the pump.

The bigger issue here is that many here sell only B20 which is a no-no for our '09 TDI's. I think Illinois has a road/sales tax break for anything over B10(?)

If ithe pump is not labeled and you have to ask, the station attendants don't know anything more than just "it's diesel".

I thought that my (individual) problem was solved when I found a local BP station with a diesel pump clearly labeled ULSD "diesel #2". Today I asked if the diesel was winterized in some way. The manager responded that she didn't know anything about that...It's the same diesel as it's been since August. ...And she really meant it quite literally. That's the last time she ordered a delivery of it. Only turns a tank 3 to 4 times a year. What's the shelf life on diesel? Is it time to buy some powerservice white bottle?
It's worse than this with biodiesel here in Chicago and Illinois in general. It is accurate that there is a tax break for >10% biodiesel in IL and newer TDI cannot, according to the owners manual, put in >5% bio.

The official VW webite that provides locations for ULSD does not differentiate ULSD with or w/o biodiesel and those stations that sell the blend typically use 11% bio. I went to a station listed on VW's ULSD locator here and it contained 11%. ***! VW is listing places to fill your car and some are over the 5% limit!! Who is responsible for putting such into one's are...VW for listing the station or the owner.

I should also point out that there is no conspicuous labling for biodiesel as opposed for the federal requirement for ULSD. I had to check all around the pump at the station to find the: "This product contains 5-20% biodiesel" label and the owner told me it contains 11%.

I called VW on this and just like the low-wage workers at these stations that don't know *** you are asking if you ask if the fuel is low (500) or ultra-low (15) diesel...these people who operate the website for ULSD were stunned that stations listed on their diesel finder provided fuel with >5% bio.

Can anyone help me here...which diesel producers produce pure diesel and not bio blends. Just for everyone's information - Marathon in IL seems to blend bio.

Is there a diesel tracking website that lists ULSD w/o any bio blend? Nothing against bio - actually I support it - but apparently VW and most German vehicles do not.

Mike