Highest Mileage TDI

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.

micah360

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Just hit 354k on an 03 jetta, all stock yet
thats crazy... I have a 2003 Jetta with only 140k on it. It is a baby and I don't drive more than 8,000 miles per year so this thing will remain a baby for a long time. I'll check this thread again in 20 years when I have 300,000 miles on it. :D

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
don't want to be negative but I really believe a substantial percentage LESS of the CR generation will see these odometer readings....Just sayin.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
thats crazy... I have a 2003 Jetta with only 140k on it. It is a baby and I don't drive more than 8,000 miles per year so this thing will remain a baby for a long time. I'll check this thread again in 20 years when I have 300,000 miles on it. :D
With so many miles per year!!!:rolleyes: You might be on the 3rd engine!!!:confused:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
PD cars if properly cared for (ie correct 5w40 505.01 type oil) I believe will soldier on well. The new CR cars have some high milers out there, but lets face it, it takes time to pile on those miles. I wish that a definitive fix would arise for the HPFP on the CR cars. I think we are getting close, but then something else will come along to gum up something that works well. I truly believe that the newer ULSD has been a contributor to making pre CR cars run cleaner with less gunk buildup.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
I cant wait to see someone piling miles on a Golf 7...any couriers out there buying a new 7?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I was thinking about going for 700k miles, but now I'm considering a target of 800k miles.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
IIRC, in the A4 Jetta and Golf, the odometer supposedly will stop working at a little over 620k miles when the odometer internally reaches 1 million km...a Gigameter! The ECU and instrument cluster only knows the odometer reading in km and displays it in miles for us in the USA and other countries that use miles in the odometer.

jagster936

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle TDI Manual
475k 02 golf. Was given to me by parents / sister who didn't wanna mess with clutch. Just replaced. Went 470 on original clutch. Few other small issues nothing major! :). I'm shooting for 500+ it stinks like burns some oil but not badly. Turbo actuator is sticky and goes into limp above 75mph. Otherwise runs great!

Mash1020TDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
06 Jetta TDI. 240,000 - biggest problem was corroded wire harness lower section near radiator controller. Running JET A fuel from our sump fuel. Avg 42+ at 75-80 mph on the highway.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
What is jet A fuel?
It's a distillate fuel similar in some ways to diesel and heating oil. It contains no additives to improve lubricity or increase cetane, and it is untaxed so those who use it in a road vehicle are liable to arrest. If someone is running it in his or her TDI, it would probably be a good idea not to advertise that fact.

jagster936

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle TDI Manual
Haha amazing! Yea I put about 1000+ into fixing this one and a lotta hrs. I hope it gives me another 100k or whatever!

jagster936

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle TDI Manual
How many mpg do you get? I seem to get 40 or so. This is a manual. But it smells a little of burning oil. Can't blame her almost half million miles. Probably some loss of compression and efficiency. I don't think the timing is above the middle line in graph. It's below. That can hurt it some?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How many mpg do you get? I seem to get 40 or so. This is a manual. But it smells a little of burning oil. Can't blame her almost half million miles. Probably some loss of compression and efficiency. I don't think the timing is above the middle line in graph. It's below. That can hurt it some?
MPG depends on the season -- best in the spring and fall, worst during the sub-zero temps of mid-winter and the hottest days of summer. It's currently doing the best in a long time, averaging almost 45 mph over the last five tanks of fuel. But my driving mix the last couple weeks has had a higher percentage of highway miles than has been typical in the past. The biodiesel blend here in Minnesota will switch from B05 to B10 on April 1st, so there might be a tiny change after that, but I doubt that it will make any difference.

Last edited:

jagster936

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle TDI Manual
Hmm wow cool! Yea I've gotten up to 45. Still not bad and fun car and Malone stage 1 coming :)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hmm wow cool! Yea I've gotten up to 45. Still not bad and fun car and Malone stage 1 coming :)
I drove a friend's Jetta TDI wagon with the PD engine yesterday. She wanted me to check out the suspension. (I thought it was fine.) Her Jetta has no performance mods and I could really tell the difference from both of my modded Golf TDIs. I wouldn't exactly call it a dog, but it was not much fun to drive. To me, if you're going to hang on to a car for 10 or 15 or 20 years, it should be fun to drive.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What have you done to them?
The red one -- the Tornado Red one -- is described in my signature. The blue one, picked up a couple years ago with low miles, has bigger nozzles (by me) and a tune (by the previous owner). He also upgraded the suspension system and added an R32 front bumper and a rear spoiler lip. So it looks nice, handles nice, and has just enough extra power to make it fun to drive.

But Red, with ~630k miles, while it's not as pretty, still accelerates harder all the way to redline, and Blue cannot do that.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dang. Which Malone on the red?
I can't answer that. But it's not mild or super radical -- somewhere in the middle, appropriate for a slightly upgraded turbo and nozzles. It's probably a good thing that I have a stronger-than-stock clutch.

jagster936

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle TDI Manual
Haha yea. Awesome! I'm not sure why my mpg are lower. I'm assuming you get closer to 45-50?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Haha yea. Awesome! I'm not sure why my mpg are lower. I'm assuming you get closer to 45-50?
Not usually. The lifetime average is about 40.9 mpg; the average during midsummer last year and in 2015 was around 38 to 39 mpg, which lowers the average for each year to 41 to 42. So while I'm getting close to 45 mpg now, this is the very best time of year for fuel mileage, because I'm not idling just to keep the cabin warm in the coldest part of winter, and I'm not running the AC all the time as I have to do in midsummer.

Out of nearly 1100 tanks of fuel, I've only had three or four tanks where I got over 50 mpg. And only a very small percentage got over 45 mpg. So what I'm seeing right now is not typical at all.

jagster936

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle TDI Manual
Yea. Some people seem to get more. This one used to get 49mpg when was younger and my dad commuted. But can't blame her old monster. See if this tune helps any. It also needs new turbo probably. I wanna put maybe an oem non genuine one in since old. Saw some on eBay for 2-400. I guess they work lol