driver leaves gas station with gas hose attached !

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
Women ... what can you say! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
I didn't look in the vortex forum, but it didn't injure the fueling area, and it doesn't look like it deformed the end of the hose, which looks like it is threaded /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I smell subterfuge /images/graemlins/wink.gif

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
AIRC, the end of the hose is designed to just come off if its tugged on hard enough. Kinda like a quick disconnector. That way instead of tearing the hose and bending stuff, it can just be reconnected after its pulled off...

-Jason

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
All gas filler hoses (diesel too) have quick disconnects designed to shut off the flow at the disconnect if some IDIOT drives off with the hose still attached to their car.

danski0224

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Wheat Beige
I saw it happen once. Some guy filling up a Ford van, must have forgot the nozzle was still there while he was on the phone.

Climbed in the van and drove off. The thing that is really stupid is the filler neck is on the drivers side.

The pump moved an inch or two, like it was going to topple over. Then the quick disconnect made quite a noise when it gave way, and the steel end whacked the van. He hit the brakes for an instant, then drove across the street with the nozzle still there.

I thought it was pretty funny. I always wondered what would happen.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dragokatzov

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't have one anymore! :(
that doesn't surprise me. i use to pump gas at a irving, and some people are pretty stupid. i had one person who wanted to declare war on the gas station becasue full serve was 4 cents more than self serve. another took a hissy fit because i made her turn off her car. one guy tried to take a piece out of me becasue i told him to turn his car off at self serve. not my fault they are being stupid! theres a $5000 fine if your caught filing your car up when its turned on.

snoopis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5spd
HAHA. My dad found one of those one day... brought it home, and waited for my mom to fill the van. When she got home and parked the van, he snuck out there and stuck the hose/nozzle in the filler neck and called her out to ask what happened. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif Unfortunately, I wasn't there to see this.

BAMA TDI

Veteran Member
OOOooohhhThat is way too funny!!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
Having worked at a service station while in High School, you wouldn't believe some of the stupid stuff people did. Or would try to do.

S

SkyPup

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif LOL /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

highhilltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta GLS
[ QUOTE ]
HAHA. My dad found one of those one day... brought it home, and waited for my mom to fill the van. When she got home and parked the van, he snuck out there and stuck the hose/nozzle in the filler neck and called her out to ask what happened. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif Unfortunately, I wasn't there to see this.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is great /images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm going to try this with my wife, or maybe my mother-in-law would be much more likely to do such a thing. A friend just bought a building that was previously a gas station and it has a bunch of nozzles, hoses, etc. laying around. Even a soft-drink dispenser.

I must admit though that I did this once. I was about 19 and returning a 24' box Ryder truck. It was about 0F so I ran inside to wait while the fuel filled up the big tanks. One of the attendants came in and said she flipped off the tank because it was done pumping so I paid and left. She hadn't pulled the nozzle out though (and I was in a hurry and not thinking). It's a bit embarassing carrying in a hose/nozzle to the station /images/graemlins/crazy.gif Lesson learned /images/graemlins/grin.gif

LagoonBlueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6sp
I saw a guy do this the other day.

While fueling my TDI, a man and his kid were fueling at a nearby pump. While talking to his kid, the guy actually pointed at my car (obviously saying something like "Look at that guy putting DIESEL in his car"...
)

They were paying so much attention to me that the guy forgot to pull the nozzle out, and he drove off with it.

It didn't break off, but it "snapped back" quite loudly, and he stopped and said "Oh, damn!" before screeching off.

Probably embarassed the hell out of him, in front of his kid too.

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I know a guy who was delivering gas to a station and something caught fire where they were welding inside the station. He didn't close any valves, disconnect any hoses, just hopped in tractor, started it and drove away! With the gas running all over! That is hard to top.

G

gboss

I know a guy who was delivering gas to a station and something caught fire where they were welding inside the station. He didn't close any valves, disconnect any hoses, just hopped in tractor, started it and drove away! With the gas running all over! That is hard to top.
Was there a trail of flames following him?