Changing dash center vent tab or tab insert

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Hi Folks,

There are two vents in the center of my dash just above the radio area...and the little chrome insert is missing from the left vent adjuster tab. I certainly don't want to buy a whole new dual vent assembly from VW...so I took a look on Ebay and found the outer left and right vents like the one below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-For-Go...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

If I buy one of these, does anybody know if the little chrome insert could be swapped out, or the whole tab itself?...Or would I just break more stuff and end up with a broken dash vent and a broken spare from Ebay...lol.

I guess I could go check the Junkyard, but I never seem to find much VW stuff out there, and if I do it will likely be Mk5 and Mk4 stuff. Mk4 is definitely no help, but the Mk5 stuff might be...

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I don't know about just the tab, but you can change just the vent flap with the tab attached. Here is a good video showing disassembly of a vent for installation of a P3Cars vent gauge.
Installation of P3Cars vent gauge
Oh..I forgot to post a follow-up to this. I went to the junkyard yesterday and found a wrecked 2013 Jetta, and I popped the driver's side vent out of the dash ($5 bucks for the part). When I got home I removed the tab and popped the little chrome insert out. Using a little black silicone I stuck it in the tab on the dash of my 2013 Golf. Perfect fit. Not often one gets a $5 solution, but in this case it was perfect.