DPF, MIL then flashing glow lamp

Nawkanie

TDI
Jetta
Jetta '10 started off with a DPF light, took it to the dealer - they said everything was fine, just need to get it to regen so take it on the highway.

Got the keys back and the MIL light came on then glow plug starts flashing. Brought it back to the dealer and got the following code: P1950 (Radiator Fan - Movement Restricted).

My question:

1) Since the MIL came on, should the cooling fan not be covered for the extended emissions warranty? I read here the cooling fan might not be connected to the OBD - so can not fixing it still clear the MIL light?

Any help in understanding this would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Cooling fan is not emissions related. Just because it's connected to the diagnostic system doesn't mean it's emissions related.

"Movement restricted" means the drive for the fan motor is requiring more current than expected for the fan speed being commanded, i.e. something is mechanically causing too much drag. It shouldn't be hard to establish what's going on there. With the ignition off (so that the fan doesn't try to run!), spin the fan blade with your finger. It should turn easily. If it doesn't, find out why. Belt too tight, obstruction/debris in the fan blades, motor seizing up, etc.

Nawkanie

TDI
Jetta
Thank you for your reply.

I guess I'm not clear, since the emissions fix my cooling fans have been running a lot more and longer, I thought it was related to the regeneration and if that's the case I thought it would be covered under the: "The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system – any malfunctions detected by the OBD system other than those related to the transmission" statement.

The car is at the dealer until I give them the go ahead for the fixes. With the large cooling fan down, would the small one just work harder to get the regen to happen? Any idea if I actually need both fans to work for my car to go into regeneration?