Possible JSW purchase... Common rail safety?

tjbell

TDI
none yet
Well, I am looking to get out of my mk7 gti in favor of a low miles jetta wagon tdi. I am familiar about GDI and how to safely work on these cars, but diesel operates at 20,000 psi and up compared to 2,500 psi in GDI. My son (5) loves tinkering with me on cars and such. I just want to make sure I understand any safety precautions needed with these things? High pressure fluid injection is scary stuff. Yes I am aware I will not likely be cracking into the fuel system because I will be buying a CPO, dieselgate car... (do these warranties stack???)

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
-- What do you mean by GDI? Isn't that a Korean diesel of some kind? Hyundai?
-- If your kid is inclined to do anything on the car, don't let him do anything you cannot fix yourself. Typically (as you mention) that includes anything fuel system related. Any discharge of system pressure in the fuel system will require a purge of air via VCDS or similar.

-- I wonder, what kind of maintenance/mods do you anticipate while you're covered under warranty?
-- Yes, the warranty coverage can suck. It largely depends on the relationship you have with your local dealership and the specific issue. Good rule of thumb is to expect that they won't cover it unless you can provide a clear case that supports the diagnostic trouble codes they can pull. Be wary of "outside influence" which is their way of saying an issue is not their problem. Think about it from the dealership perspective: they've gone away from employing mechanics who can diagnose faults in favour of computers and techs to replace parts, so they need to justify the cost of parts and labour to replace parts indicated by codes to the mothership.

tjbell

TDI
none yet
To clarify, GDI in general is gasoline direct injection, and clearly I wouldn't have my 5 year old do such things. I am just curious about it is all. I have zero plans touching a damn thing if it's under warranty thankfully, I have an excellent relationship with my local dealership. Bought 5 cars from them and no questions asked warranty repairs

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Ah. TFSI/TSI. Got it.

So what kind of safety precautions are you specifically wondering about?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'm not sure it's a good idea to have a 5 yo tinkering on any cars. Too many toxic substances, moving parts and burn and crush potential. That said, most tinkering is done with the engine off- and there shouldn't be much threat from high pressure fuel lines in that scenario.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
What exactly are you asking?

You more then likely will never crack the fuel system open except to change a filter.

tjbell

TDI
none yet
Well I am the proud owner of a 2012 JSW DSG with 62k certified miles

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Congrats! Hopefully it suits your needs well, though it will never quite be a GTI. Do keep up with the simpler tasks when with your son like tire pressures, checking and topping off fluids, checking wheel leg torque values etc, basically anything without the vehicle needing to be on jackstands. All great skills to learn and understand while young. Enjoy!