Thermostat covered under extended emissions warranty?

mbesemann

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
So I messed up and didn't even think about going to the dealership when my thermostat recently went bad on my 2011 Golf. I got the timing belt done at the same time since they were already in there (I'm at 150,000km)

(btw, there was no CEL or code stored, the engine was just not maintaining operating temp)

I know the timing belt is a wear item, but just to make me feel better (or worse), would the thermostat job have been covered under the extended emissions warranty? This is what the document states about coverage:

The entire exhaust gas after treatment system, including the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, NOx Reduction Catalyst, Diesel Particulate Filter, exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators;

The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail, fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve, and all sensors and actuators;

The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system, including EGR valves, EGR cooler, EGR filter, EGR temperature sensor, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors and actuators;

The air intake pipe and charge air cooler, charge air temperature sensor and air-mass sensor;

The turbocharger, including the turbocharger damper;

The Glow Plug; and

The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system – any malfunctions detected by the OBD system other than those related to the transmission.

Last edited:

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
Reading the warranty makes it seem like it's not covered to me, unless there was a CEL. However, when my DPF failed, they identified the thermostat as a root cause and it was replaced under warranty, related to the DPF. I was told there was a TSB or something official from VW in the repair procedure to check operating temp, since that is needed to trigger a regen.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Water pumps aren't covered on the 2015's so I'd say no, only thing would be EGR cooler and possibly the heater core.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Reading the warranty makes it seem like it's not covered to me, unless there was a CEL. However, when my DPF failed, they identified the thermostat as a root cause and it was replaced under warranty, related to the DPF. I was told there was a TSB or something official from VW in the repair procedure to check operating temp, since that is needed to trigger a regen.
A good dealership/service writer should cover it if it for example caused the DPF to fail and must be repaired to fix repeat failure.