2011 JSW TDI Stalled, no start, no CEL

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
So, today about 30 mins ago, I was sitting in a parking lot waiting for Lyft rides..I got a call for a pickup, started the car, put it in gear and heard a tingling, jingly sound. Thought it was weird, but put the car in gear, a dsg, and started to drive..Got about a block, car stalled at an intersection..Put in park, restarted, got two more blocks, turned on to a sidestreet, now car is stalled, cranks over, won't fire, no CEL'S. Any thoughts?

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Fuel filter was changed in the last 1000 miles along with new intake manifold under warranty, and 100k tbelt service..I did accidentally overfill the fuel tank today about a cup and a half. It ran out a little. Cleaned it up, drove about 40+ miles, stopped and started multiple times before the stall event , was running as normal.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
Check for water in the lower intake tube.

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
It's at the dealer getting checked out. Fortunately it's a CPO car and it'll only be a $50 deductable for the repair. I just had it in about a month ago for the T-Belt 100k service and they also replaced the intake manifold due to a faulty internal flap. Not feeling the VW love much lately. It has the Kerma ecu and dsg tunes, really just for mpg and driveability, but my best mpg's have only been about 41-42 driving 60-70 mph. Not what I was hoping for when I bought it.��

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Not real happy with my mpgs either so consider yourself lucky. My best is 39. In the winter, I am around 33.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
if you have the 17" rims your mileage will suffer. and 41mpg with the wagen is actually really good. i im averaging 33 in the winter with my winter tires. with my all seasons in the winter i can get 35mpg. and in summer i get 37-40mpg. if you can (after warranty) delete it and youll get in the 50s

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Interestingly my car has the oem 16" wheel with Champiro GT Icepro directional winter tires. I have about 35k miles on them, ran them from.the end of 2018 right up until now..They still have about 45% tread on them, wearing very evenly. Amazing overall, but a bit noisy. Good traction and predictable in the rain. I don't recall any better mileage with the all-season Toyo tires it came with. That said, the diagnosis on the no-start is in....DEAD HPFP�� So, still under warranty, but I'll be out of the car for 2 weeks likely due to a backlog on the parts and other TDI cars in for repairs at the dealer. I thought about eventually doing the delete and now it'll be an all new fuel.system, but I am really thinking about selling it and going back to a gasser..I've run addative in the tank EVERY time since I got it at 68k....and the HPFP still took a crap. Not impressed. If it had been out of warranty I would be completely screwed. This was my biggest concern about buying a MKVI car and here I am with it exactly in that spot. Not good��

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Ugh! So sorry to hear that. There is an upgrade to a CP3 pump. I'm worried about mine as well, especially now that I am just out of warranty.

Cant say as I blame you from wanting to get out of a diesel. I've had that thought myself as 75% of my rigs are diesel. But it seems if you can address the fuel pump issue then the rest of the drain train is pretty reliable.

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Yeah, I like the car ok aside from the pump issue, but....the mpgs haven't been spectacular, especially considering the extra 20% higher fuel cost. I bought it because I was subcontracting a delivery rt from a guy that had a 2010 Jetta sedan that had 720k on it when he sold it back to VW. I don't have that work anymore and I only have another 10k on the wareanty, so I will likely sell before it becomes a potentially expensive risk. Super clean car too☹

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Yeah, that's terrible news about the HPFP going out on you and not having that travel route anymore makes sense you'd be considering moving out of diesel if you weren't seeing the mileage returns balancing out the cost difference. What type of vehicle is next on the list?

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Well, other vehicles being considered are a newer Subaru Imprezza 5 dr, with the newer gen. 2.0, a Mazda 5 (already owned one, great rig), ,Toyota Prius, also Mazda 3 or 6, 2012-2017 year range. I'm a "car guy", but ultimately I like a DD that is a maintain and drive type of rig. I don't have the time, place or funds at this particular time to be constantly anticipating high repair or maint. costs and honestly these VW's aren't all that cheap to own. The Mazda 3,5, and 6 have VERY low maint. schedules, no high-cost 60/90/120/150k service kicks to the wallet. High consumer satifaction ratings, run on regular unleaded, etc... So, Im now studying and pondering..The HPFP fix with be covered for 12k/12mos. by the dealer. I could get the CP3 pump upgrade, eat that cost, sell the new pump for decent money, and demission the corked exhaust�� , but I'm not sure I "love" the car that much. Again, though I'm an enthusiast, a car is a transportation tool and not my identity. Having owned many cars over the years, it makes it easier to appreciate one that in mostly stock form is fair cost, cheap to maintain and...RELIABLE�� At least the breakdown happened 3 miles from the dealership and my towing was covered��

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Well, other vehicles being considered are a newer Subaru Imprezza 5 dr, with the newer gen. 2.0, a Mazda 5 (already owned one, great rig), ,Toyota Prius, also Mazda 3 or 6, 2012-2017 year range. I'm a "car guy
I could've said the exact same thing! actually I did:D
Why cant the auto manufactures get it there is a rather large base of "station wagoner's"?

In 2017 the wife ended up with a Impreza since she had to have AWD. At the time the gasser VWs required premium. Since she had to have the claimed 38 highway mpg on regular... well. She loves the car but I would have the JSW almost any day over it. IF only a JSW TDI AWD 6m existed!

Things I dislike in the Impreza:
Had NO manual trans with the "limited package" (had to buy for the tech stuff). The CVT sucks
dinky seats/no bolster option
dinky fuel tank/miniature driving range
the ride will knock your fillings out
noisy and breezy
MPG not as claimed (vrs VW is often better)
bare minimal rear wagon area

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Well, yes I think I'd need to drive the Imprezza to know for sure. I think Subbie makes the best AWD out there..I had a 2001 Outback wagon before my JSW and really liked it...accept for 25 mpg and 3 engines from head gaskets and bottom end failures. The Mazda lineup looks pretty interesting too. I really liked my '06 Mazda 5. MPG's again were only about 30, but they are really low maint. and pretty cheap to buy. The 3's are the same drivetrain, also SUPER reliable, but about 5-10 MPG's better! The '14-'18 Mazda 6 also get almost 40 hwy and they are a REALLY nice car. Also decent priced. I'm driving a 2015 Passat TDI as my loaner from the dealer. It's comfy so far and makes me think a mid-sized 4 door with good MPG might be the direction I'll go?

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Oh, and the TDI JSW AWD ALMOST DID exist! It was supposed to have happened in 2016, I think , as the 4Motion gasser that was released in '15-'16? It woulda' been that car with the TDI, but then...Dieselgate��

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, and the TDI JSW AWD ALMOST DID exist! It was supposed to have happened in 2016, I think , as the 4Motion gasser that was released in '15-'16? It woulda' been that car with the TDI, but then...Dieselgate��
You beat me to it! It's called the Alltrack and dang-it, we were one year away from one!!! I'd own one in a heartbeat if they existed. We have to wait until 2041 to import one from Europe.

If I were to upgrade what I have now, I think I'd look for a passat wagon TDI as I wouldn't mind the extra room.