2002 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon, NY - $3900

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Actually, it's due for a timing belt ,I think the autos were only suggested for 80k intervals. Clean wagon, GLWS!

tdi-eyed

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta Wagon
I have never heard the 100k rating is transmission specific .. I would never go the full 100k, but 90-95k seems conservative. So, timing belt service due at 170-175k.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
To the top ... why hasn't this wagon sold???? :)

Ok, you asked...

1) TB: Most knowledgeable buyers are mentally adding the cost of an immediate timing belt service to your asking price. Now, for some, this is just the parts, tools, and a day in driveway, but for everyone else it's an additional $600, $800, $1000, etc. Personally, I'd be anxious just driving it home. Further, TB service intervals are mileage or age, so even if you use 6 years instead of five, it's ready for it's third timing belt.

2) Trans: It's an automatic. Yes, it can be converted, but the difference in initial asking price and value is tremendous. Potential buyers who want a stick are mentally adding the cost to your asking price. I'm not sure if the conversion counts as economical, but it generally isn't cheap.

3) Pictures: The front and rear are good starters, but after that we don't get enough photos (and the ones you have aren't especially helping). The rear shows a missing VW badge, missing TDI letters, and is otherwise too dark to see dents or rust. Pictures of the cluster are better when the car is running, so that viewers can see what CEL/MIL lights are on, and best taken when the area between the cluster and steering wheel is clean. The interior photos are grainy or sun-spotted, and appear to show us how dusty the dash is, and that perhaps two of the four door cards have wear. At least your CL ad has more photos, but those may not be attracting buyers. Before people travel to see a car, they want to look at good pictures for rust on the hatch, at the front fenders, or underneath. Instead I'm noticing a replaced pax SVM (was the original smashed?), a missing cover on the pax seatbelt receiver, and the crack in the pax rear tail (not mentioned in the CL ad). The silver TDI wagon that sold north of you near UVM a few months back was an auto, had more miles, but had extensive pictures and details. Make sure the info in your ads match, with the exception of the TDIClub discount you are offering, of course.

4) Location: Your title lists location as NY. You and I both know that to 75% of lookers, this means NYC. The rest know that "NY" could be Buffalo, Binghamton, Plattsburgh, or Yonkers, which doesn't help potential buyers. Clarity is helpful, especially in relation to an airport for those flying in ("Two hours north of the Albany airport via I-87"). In addition, your member location for Fred's lists either California, New England, or Nebraska, while your CL ad puts the car northeast of E-Town, close to my favorite lake monster. For some people this just says "scam" and they walk away.

5) Details: The turbo was replaced? At 162k miles? Was the fuel filter replaced on time, per the maint schedule, every 20k miles, or maybe not? Were air filters changed on time, per the maint schedule, every 40k miles, or early, not per the main schedule? 4 new budget tires that the next owner might ditch, or 4 new Nokian/Michelin/Continentals? Were the shocks replaced when the struts were done? Some people want to know the starter was new, and is Bosch, the alternator was new, and is Valeo, and that the clear headlight covers are original, or still OEM Hella, or aftermarket from Chinese ebay that fail to illuminate the Essex County roads in winter.

6) COVID-19. Once stay-at-home restrictions change, and people feel more comfortable about jumping in someone else's car, I'm sure it will sell quickly.

HTH

tdi-eyed

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta Wagon
Thanks HSKRDU, I was just joking, really, about why it hasnt sold. Price is always asking, always negotiable and open to offers.

Some good points including the pics. Will update.

Timing belt done 4.5 years ago with updated kit, thanks for asking.

tdi rookie II

TDI
03 Jetta SW X 2
Ok, you asked...

1) TB: Most knowledgeable buyers are mentally adding the cost of an immediate timing belt service to your asking price. Now, for some, this is just the parts, tools, and a day in driveway, but for everyone else it's an additional $600, $800, $1000, etc. Personally, I'd be anxious just driving it home. Further, TB service intervals are mileage or age, so even if you use 6 years instead of five, it's ready for it's third timing belt.

2) Trans: It's an automatic. Yes, it can be converted, but the difference in initial asking price and value is tremendous. Potential buyers who want a stick are mentally adding the cost to your asking price. I'm not sure if the conversion counts as economical, but it generally isn't cheap.

3) Pictures: The front and rear are good starters, but after that we don't get enough photos (and the ones you have aren't especially helping). The rear shows a missing VW badge, missing TDI letters, and is otherwise too dark to see dents or rust. Pictures of the cluster are better when the car is running, so that viewers can see what CEL/MIL lights are on, and best taken when the area between the cluster and steering wheel is clean. The interior photos are grainy or sun-spotted, and appear to show us how dusty the dash is, and that perhaps two of the four door cards have wear. At least your CL ad has more photos, but those may not be attracting buyers. Before people travel to see a car, they want to look at good pictures for rust on the hatch, at the front fenders, or underneath. Instead I'm noticing a replaced pax SVM (was the original smashed?), a missing cover on the pax seatbelt receiver, and the crack in the pax rear tail (not mentioned in the CL ad). The silver TDI wagon that sold north of you near UVM a few months back was an auto, had more miles, but had extensive pictures and details. Make sure the info in your ads match, with the exception of the TDIClub discount you are offering, of course.

4) Location: Your title lists location as NY. You and I both know that to 75% of lookers, this means NYC. The rest know that "NY" could be Buffalo, Binghamton, Plattsburgh, or Yonkers, which doesn't help potential buyers. Clarity is helpful, especially in relation to an airport for those flying in ("Two hours north of the Albany airport via I-87"). In addition, your member location for Fred's lists either California, New England, or Nebraska, while your CL ad puts the car northeast of E-Town, close to my favorite lake monster. For some people this just says "scam" and they walk away.

5) Details: The turbo was replaced? At 162k miles? Was the fuel filter replaced on time, per the maint schedule, every 20k miles, or maybe not? Were air filters changed on time, per the maint schedule, every 40k miles, or early, not per the main schedule? 4 new budget tires that the next owner might ditch, or 4 new Nokian/Michelin/Continentals? Were the shocks replaced when the struts were done? Some people want to know the starter was new, and is Bosch, the alternator was new, and is Valeo, and that the clear headlight covers are original, or still OEM Hella, or aftermarket from Chinese ebay that fail to illuminate the Essex County roads in winter.

6) COVID-19. Once stay-at-home restrictions change, and people feel more comfortable about jumping in someone else's car, I'm sure it will sell quickly.

HTH
Plus the cluster pic showing clock and trip meter reset indicates electrical issues.

tdi-eyed

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta Wagon
Yep, pic taken right after battery installed ... I will revamp my ad a little and update pics. She's a solid TDI wagon.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I had the unfortunate experience of contacting Mr. tdi-eyed about a 2003 TDI wagon advertised on craigslist about 1.5 to 2 years ago.

This car was advertised on craigslist and not TDIclub, however through some internet detective work I was able to discern that these two individuals were actually the same person.

I call this a negative experience because of the following reasons:

tdi-eyed was dishonest in the craigslist ad about a number of this wagon's features, including:

-The car was not titled or smogged in CA. He expected me to pay him for the car and then complete the title work and transfer after the sale was completed.
-The car had significantly higher mileage that what was advertised in the CL listing and was not "low mileage".
-He said no accidents, yet the car had body damage.
-I specifically asked him if this car had rust which he ignored the question until right before I was supposed to see the car in which he disclosed the issues above, ^^^ including it's origin from a rust belt state
-The sunroof didn't work.

I specifically asked him in my initial inquiry if this wagon had any issues, which he said no. He strung me along for about a week until he could filter out the other buyers who wanted to look at it and didn't ask so many questions. It was right before we were to meet that he disclosed all this stuff above and at that time that I told him I was absolutely not interested in his wagon. Given the dishonesty and issues, which he actually told me about it (and I'm sure there were other problems he didn't tell me about).

What makes it even more infuriating is there was a nice 2002 wagon that actually was low mileage that popped up on CL and I did not look at because it was not stock and I wanted a stock low mileage wagon like what Mr. tdi-eyed was advertising, but didn't actually exist.

Mr. tdi-eyed has sold a number of cars on TDIclub. I suspect he is a curbstoner or unlicensed vendor/used car dealer. Probably buys basket-cases that need work and then re-sells them for profit. Nothing wrong with that, as long as your do business honestly and don't abuse the forum. In my experience Mr. tdi-eyed was not honest.

Buyer Beware.