Got the "fix" friday, got P0401 code today :)

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Took a drive this morning and mil came on. po2002. So...will call dealer tomorrow and set up to have dpf replaced UNDER WARRENTY.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
That's just more than weird, that they would claim that the air-mass sensor is not included in the after-fix warranty. The document sent by VW to the dealers that cngvw posted in post #33 (which only shows sensors and actuators, not filters etc., by the way) explicitly lists the air-mass sensor as being covered.

And the document every owner was sent by VW also clearly states that everything that causes a non-transmission related code is covered.

I guess they owe you $589!

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
just a little update, the car has been at the dealers all day yesterday. they called me up saying they needed me to authorize a 150 bucks to read the codes on it. i was like flock that, its under warrenty and yall need to fix the problem. So ill see what happens today and let yall know

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I believe the code charge is standard issue dealer talk, soon as they see the code they should waive the code charge and bill VWoA once its warranty work. Seems kinda nickle dimming you but its just covering their butts.

skycrane

TDI
So i finally got a response from the Dumbass at the dealer. after a day and a half with no call backs, after repeated phonecalls and leaving more and more upset voicemails and emails. i finally get this in writing.... lol " Still working with Audi engineers on diagnosis. Have same sporadic fault for filter. will contact you as soon as we get final words from Audi"
So whats the problem? i have a P0401 code insufficent EGR flow and cracked DPF so fix it and replace them, problem solved....

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
I cleared the code for PO401 before I went in for the fix on Tuesday. Dealer completed the fix no questions asked. Now the CEL is back on with PO401. Going to try to get an appointment for friday and see what they say.

skycrane

TDI
phantom, be prepared to wait a while, its been 3 days so far the delear had mine

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
Spoke with the dealership, they told me they won't be able to give me a loaner this time. I explained to him under the new warranty if the dealer needs the car for more than 3 hours a loaner is to be provided. He told me he hasn't read that yet. He's going to check it out and call me back.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
Are the dealers really that uniformed about the TDIs warranty? Seems crazy to me.

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think they are very informed since the recall just started in Canada. Mine was the first car they did at this dealership. Probably why they did not scan it and look at the CEL history. Going forward after they have to replace my DPF they may be more vigilant.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Are the dealers really that uniformed about the TDIs warranty? Seems crazy to me.
Yes! Dealers have been uninformed about TDIs since 1996! That's half the reason why this forum is as popular as it is. ;)

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
So I made an appointment at a different dealer for this morning since the first dealer decicded to not return my calls. I get into the car to drive to the dealer and the CEL isn't on now. I drove to the dealer anyways hoping it would come back on by the time I get there.

It didn't come come back on. So I explain to the dealer that the light was on but has since gone away. He agreed to scan it anyways just to see what it was.

He comes back and starts to explain that its the DPF and I should wait until they start doing the fix as it'll all be updated then anyways, instead of me paying for anything now.

To his surprise I tell him I've already gotten the fix done at another dealership. Then he suggested its probably because they had the whole thing apart and it's running on new values etc so it's just recalibrating. So I should just give it a good drive to blow all the soot/crud out and it shouldn't be a problem.

He said come back if the light comes back on.

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
And for folks reading only this thread, the 2009 MY gets a new DPF as part of the fix, but those with a DSG have to wait for now. the DSG update has a flaw so those of use who started the fix are still driving a loaner a month later.
I've got a dirty tailpipe on my '09 at about 70K miles.
Which brings up the questions -
When will the DSG update be fixed?
What is the likelihood a new DPF will crack before:
Warranty Period
The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited
warranty extension shall be the greater of:
 10 years and 6 months or 126,000 miles, whichever
occurs first from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
 4 years and 6 months or 54,000 miles, whichever occurs
first, from the date and mileage of the emissions
modification.
that runs out?
Using the 54,000 mile figure and the cost of a dealer replaced DPF it reads like I may be paying another $4,000.00 (for DPF alone) for my driving privileges, if it breaks just after warranty runs out. That's almost $0.75/mile! A far greater impact than a small drop in fuel mileage.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We have a new DPF from VW on our site, it's $1,000 after core return. Replacement should be fairly easy since your car will now have a separate DPF and CAT post-fix. So your cost number is a bit high.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
that runs out?
Using the 54,000 mile figure and the cost of a dealer replaced DPF it reads like I may be paying another $4,000.00 (for DPF alone) for my driving privileges, if it breaks just after warranty runs out. That's almost $0.75/mile! A far greater impact than a small drop in fuel mileage.

no one knows when they will have a solution to the failed DSG software update.

if you have a DSG, the warranty is 48,000 miles after the fix, not 54k.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
that runs out?
Your ‘09 will get a new DPF and EGR filter when you do the fix because the ‘09 has the DPF welded to parts they need to replace anyway.

skycrane

TDI
Lol.... I just love my dealer... well it's been a week now that they had the car. All the parts were delivered on thur and they started replacing them. So Monday rolls around and I finally get a call saying it's all done but they had to do a 50mile road test and to come by after work to pick it up.
Lol he calls me back around 5 that night and says we have another code so now they are waiting on a EGR filter to hopefully fix it. So now were looking at thurs to finish it up.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Another code? So not P401? I wonder if they are now chasing a coolant flow issue, similar to others that have had a blocked heater core.

But if they replaced just the DPF due to the P401 and didn't change out the clogged EGR filter at the same time, good for them, that's just smart thinking.

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
At the dealership right now and after waiting for 2 hours I'm told it needs a DPF. He quote $3,900. I explained to him that this is covered under the post fix warranty. He disagreed and I showed him the booklet. He then chose to read over the part that specifically mentions the DPF being covered.

After I pointed to it for him he says this doesn't make sense. He says he'll have to call he office and ask because the last one he tried to do was denied.

Tells me he'll call and let me know tomorrow. He then tells me to pay for the diagnosis and say he'll credit me if head office says it's covered. I told him I imagine not paying as it is covered.

I get back in the car to leave and now the car won't start.

Glow plug lights is on and it stalls just after turning over. The tech is having a look at it now.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
At the dealership right now and after waiting for 2 hours I'm told it needs a DPF. He quote $3,900. I explained to him that this is covered under the post fix warranty. He disagreed and I showed him the booklet. He then chose to read over the part that specifically mentions the DPF being covered.

After I pointed to it for him he says this doesn't make sense. He says he'll have to call he office and ask because the last one he tried to do was denied.

Tells me he'll call and let me know tomorrow. He then tells me to pay for the diagnosis and say he'll credit me if head office says it's covered. I told him I imagine not paying as it is covered.

I get back in the car to leave and now the car won't start.

Glow plug lights is on and it stalls just after turning over. The tech is having a look at it now.
I'm praying for you as I type.. wish you all the luck!..but if dpf has failed BEFORE the fix..well it really may be up to the dealer.. from what I have read..did you know that the engine is covered also??.. so if you went in there with a cracked engine block...you would have to fix that before they would cover it as with any other type of car "extended"warranty.. did you have a code (mil/cel) before you went?? How many miles on your car.. manual or auto.. thanx!

Last edited:

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the prayers, it did start now.
Dealer came back and told me its the camshaft position sensor and that the camshaft and crankshaft are not communicating. Said the timing may be out. He told me he has to drop the transmission to check the sensor and it's not worth spending that much money on the car.

I figured we weren't going to agree on anything so asked for my key to get my stuff. He went to get the key and tried to start it once more and it started.

Driving home now.

The car has 325,664 Kms. Auto

Had cel on before.

Last edited:

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm praying for you as I type.. wish you all the luck!..but if dpf has failed BEFORE the fix..well it really may be up to the dealer.. from what I have read..did you know that the engine is covered also??.. so if you went in there with a cracked engine block...you would have to fix that before they would cover it as with any other type of car "extended"warranty.. did you have a code (mil/cel) before you went?? How many miles on your car.. manual or auto.. thanx!
I think you may have misread. I've gotten the fix already. This trip to the dealer was to try to get the DPF replaced under the new warranty.

skycrane

TDI

well after almost 2 weeks at the stealership, i finally got the car back from them replacing the DPF , EGR, and EGR motor under the new warrenty :)

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
A one time "good will repair"??:confused: and it says a warranty repair on the invoice:confused:..Gee I wonder if it goes bad again within the warranty period.. no more good will repairs..right?? Then what

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
Dropped of my car for the po401 and po2002 codes today. Car modified two weeks ago. They did not replace dpf at that time. .... Called my local guru and he said the codes may need to be reset but car will run. Part will be here at 2 today. Dealer did say that they will warrenty the dpf if they find it bad so that is good news
I was getting P0401, after a DPFRegeneration clean out. It isn't just readiness, but the net soot the car sees. Those values need to be separately reset in vag-com (with warning of fire, if soot still present).

It was two more weeks after my clean out when diesel-gate broke. At that point, I decided VW could take back its black-box. Gurus hadn't figured out how to fix these cars five years into production, before the fix needed to be real. I salute the patience of those still here.

Last edited:

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally got a hold of the dealer. He said he ordered the DPF and will be changing it under warranty now. Apparently he had lost my information and wasn't able to call me back.

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
I think you may have misread. I've gotten the fix already. This trip to the dealer was to try to get the DPF replaced under the new warranty.
After I got the fix I had code po401 and others. Brought car back and was told before they could determine problem the mass air flow sensor was bad and would be $500+ on my dime. Took car home and changed MAF myself. Cleared codes and drove for 2 weeks. Codes came back. Brought car back. DPF being changed under new warranty. Should get car back today