CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Very good - I did forget about the in tank pump, thanks.

I'll bring these instructions when I go talk with the shop.

Thanks for your help.

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
Vcds will still run the in tank lift pump for priming.

I could see most indy shops wanting to see the install instructions before they agreed to do it, it's a bit more involved than a timing belt

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 & 2014 Jetta sportwagon
I am contemplating the CP3 pump upgrade was I approach the timing belt interval (90K mi - 100K mi). Noticed that the auxiliary electric fuel pump is also deleted as part of the CP3 installation.

Questions:
1. when doing a fuel filter replacement, how are folks priming / filling the filter housing w/o the electric pump? The typical procedure for me has been to use the VCDS to activate the electric pump to refill the filter housing.

2. are folks doing the CP3 upgrade themselves, or do you have an indy shop do the upgrade with you supplying the parts? I do most of my own work, but thinking I will have a shop do the timing belt replacement and was going to ask them if they have any experience with this upgrade.

I am sure I will have more questions as I do more reading.

Thanks
YES the timing belt service is the perfect time for a CP3!
Fuel filter service does not change at all. You still use VCDS to prime just like normal. The loss of the aux fuel pump makes no difference at all.
If the shop can follow a pdf, the CP3 is a pretty easy install, IF they are willing to try. Honestly if you even a little handy you can do the whole thing yourself. I do NOT recommend unbolting the engine mounts and after you take out the aux pump you have so much more room!

No tune is necessary for the CP3 so it's just start and go! Besides a DSG tune, a CP3 is my #1 upgrade for longevity and piece of mind!

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Tuheeden - I reviewed a few more timing belt replacement videos. I agree, this is something than I can do myself without hesitation. And this way, I can install the CP3 pump my way, making sure it is installed properly (and the money I save on the timing belt, will pay for the CP3 pump and kit)

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
Tuheeden - I reviewed a few more timing belt replacement videos. I agree, this is something than I can do myself without hesitation. And this way, I can install the CP3 pump my way, making sure it is installed properly (and the money I save on the timing belt, will pay for the CP3 pump and kit)
My only other recommendation besides not removing the motor mount is to mark the timing belt and crank/cam gear and transfer the belt mark to the new timing belt. This will guarantee that you are not off by 1 tooth!

Oh and plan on an hour or two to get the high pressure fuel line bent to the new pump. It's not hard but to get it just right just takes some patience!

packmule97

TDI
mk6 golf
Jeez, I posted having issues and I never posted a resolution, sorry guys. Turns out my pump was never the issue. Some way somehow I had 2 injector crush seals that were leaking under heavy load and somehow went missed when I would go over my logs(guess im not as stringent as i thought). Pulled, cleaned and used fresh seals/mounting hardware and car is happy again. Only problem is now I don't have any excuses to not drain the wallet on more performance mods

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Hey people.
After all these years of common rails here in North America, do we know what are the symptoms of impending HPFP self destruction?

Reason I ask is my 2015 CRUA went from having the cold long cranks (new lift pump, new CPS, fully primed), to now random long cranks, but NOT when cold. I now start to suspect the HPFP, car has 136k miles, clean fuel filter, clean screen by the metering valve. No codes at all.

Thoughts?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hey people.
After all these years of common rails here in North America, do we know what are the symptoms of impending HPFP self destruction?

Reason I ask is my 2015 CRUA went from having the cold long cranks (new lift pump, new CPS, fully primed), to now random long cranks, but NOT when cold. I now start to suspect the HPFP, car has 136k miles, clean fuel filter, clean screen by the metering valve. No codes at all.

Thoughts?
new battery? Usually that solves it.
If you already have new battery, then it could be the crank sensor going.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
New battery, new (VW) crank sensor

I'm eyeing a new CP3 from Darkside

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
hmm! damn. I bet so. I am eyeing on it as well for the CVCA. (2015 Passat).
Quite annoying, this random long cranks. I used a bottle of Techtron D in the last 1/4 tank, and it helped, believe it or not. I might try running that straight, but I quite haven't figure out yet the 3 hoses to the fuel filter and what they do, versus the 4 hoses in my BEW

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The in tank electric pump will still prime the system. If you're comfortable doing your own timing belt, the pump swap is easy. Moreso if your kit has all the right fittings. Mine even had a pre-bent fuel line included.

coolusername

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
CP3 is in! Thanks to all those who helped me information-wise on here. I went with the Whitbread kit, had my mechanic install it simultaneously with a new thermostat, and the car runs great now! The car starts faster and higher RPM pulls are smoother. Still on the stock tune for now. The peace of mind regarding HPFP failure is super nice to have, and now I'll be ready for an XMan hybrid CR170 down the line.

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
CP3 is in! Thanks to all those who helped me information-wise on here. I went with the Whitbread kit, had my mechanic install it simultaneously with a new thermostat, and the car runs great now! The car starts faster and higher RPM pulls are smoother. Still on the stock tune for now. The peace of mind regarding HPFP failure is super nice to have, and now I'll be ready for an XMan hybrid CR170 down the line.

hoping to find time to do mine this weekend. never even thought about the thermostat...im
doing the first water pump/ timing belt job in it as well, do yall recommend swapping the thermostat too? ive read its not terribly fun but also dont recall if its even in the same area or if i would be doing things twice per say... i dont believe it came with my waterpump kit....

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
hoping to find time to do mine this weekend. never even thought about the thermostat...im
doing the first water pump/ timing belt job in it as well, do yall recommend swapping the thermostat too? ive read its not terribly fun but also dont recall if its even in the same area or if i would be doing things twice per say... i dont believe it came with my waterpump kit....
Well if your putting in the CP3 you are pretty close to the thermostat (timing belt only you are not close). All 4 of my TDi' from 2011 to 2014 have all needed thermostat replacement so it's not a bad idea to do it. Many people also recommend having a spare plastic elbow around as they are EZ to break. IDParts have them. I do NOT recommend removing the oil filter housing as it's hard to reinstall and not to leak.
If you do all of it, plan on 2 days of no car ...
Good luck

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
Well if your putting in the CP3 you are pretty close to the thermostat (timing belt only you are not close). All 4 of my TDi' from 2011 to 2014 have all needed thermostat replacement so it's not a bad idea to do it. Many people also recommend having a spare plastic elbow around as they are EZ to break. IDParts have them. I do NOT recommend removing the oil filter housing as it's hard to reinstall and not to leak.
If you do all of it, plan on 2 days of no car ...
Good luck
thank you, note taken. yeah i expect it to take me the majority of a weekend. luckily diesel prices are down a tad as i have a "back up" 7.3l i can drive....

coolusername

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I would check if it's necessary. I had it swapped because according to my PolarFIS, my car wasn't reaching temperature. Because the normal dash temperature gauge is a dummy gauge, it would read 190 all day long, while the PolarFIS would show my car never getting past 180, which is too cold to passively regenerate the DPF. I've been trying to track down poor mileage for a while now, and this was on the list.

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree with Timmbo - All 4 of mine were LOW temperature. The guage might show 190 but it shows that from 167 to 219. I took had mileage issues. A simple OBD will give you the answer. It was taking 11 to 14 minutes to get to 170 then after the new thermostat it does it in 5 to 6 minutes. Totally worth it

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG

Looks great. That's my setup right now. Xman cr170 hybrid, 4 bar map, s3 IC, cp3 whitbread/united diesel, 2200 fuel rail line sensor. Maybe later this year will buy a meth kit. This setup feels like going from stock to stage 2 again. The top end is greatly improved but of course it's not a GTB or GTD turbo but you feel the car making power in the top end. My tdi stage 2 at 4k rpm was doing like 15psi and the Xman makes more than 20psi. Before my car was cp4 and at wot it was entering in limp mode p0087. The cp3 solved that problem.

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
was making progress, do not torque Whitbreads adaptor plate to 24ft lbs like 2microns directions suggest, i had to re weld one of the studs but of course it broke again. might try again tomorrow but also emailed matt. things were going smooth too, im beyond bummed currently..... really dont want this thing down long but i guess ill be driving the 7.3l for a bit....

Last edited:

pro51492

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen TDI 6sp
Good to know my pump just showed up last week from him. Looking forward to getting it swapped in the near future.

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
Good to know my pump just showed up last week from him. Looking forward to getting it swapped in the near future.
i was taking my time and following 2 Microns instructions to a T, this is my first timing belt/ water pump job aswell. overall i thought it was fairly simple. i switched the location of the rail supply line so it wont interfere with the egr or dipstick as much. there is a t35 or 40 plug opposing the threaded fitting that you loctite the enhancer to. its a valve of sorts so carful not to loose the ball bearing inside same applies to the supply line. remove and swap the two and now there is way more room. ill post a pic later.

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
I had the same thing happen with a darkside cp3 kit. 2micron must have originally used a higher grade stud. The vendors should update their instructions, but DS also sent me a replacement really quick so I can't be too mad.

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
I had the same thing happen with a darkside cp3 kit. 2micron must have originally used a higher grade stud. The vendors should update their instructions, but DS also sent me a replacement really quick so I can't be too mad.
i believe i saw your write up. my buddy fixed mine, moving forward now, will post pics soon....i dont have time to wait for another one.