1999.5 Golf No Start - HELP!

torman

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Golf and Treg
Strange, but seemingly common issue. Went to start my Golf this afternoon, and won't turn over at all (like you didn't have clutched push down). Instrument lights, GP Light on dash, radio, headlights, power locks, emergency flashers work. Dome light, rear headliner lights, power windows, and alarm dont work. No previous issues with starting. Only difference was it has been raining, as anyone in the NE knows. Put a good charge on the battery and I can't find any loose wires at the starter.

Any leads? Alarm system has immobolized start? CCM? Clutch pedal relay (yes, she is a 5-speed).

Would like to start with easiest to more difficult, as I don't have a MM or many other tools.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The alarm / ccm can interrupt the starter. Check for a blown fuse. There's a link to a fuse list in the HOW TO'S thread in TDI101.

-J

torman

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Golf and Treg
Thanks compu 85. There was a blown fuse (38), but I replaced it and still no start AND no dome light, power windows, front door lights, rear headliner lights.

torman

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Golf and Treg
Figured it out .... fuse 14 (interior lights, etc) was blowing due to a faulty dome light switch. Can't figure out why VW would make connect these interior systems to starting the car .... bad design.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Well, it's only like this on the 99.5's. Since the CCM runs the lights and the alarm, it runs the starter interrupt too.

-J