Rebuilt Automatic Transmission Problem 01 Golf TDI 01M

tdifanguy

TDI
01 GOLF 4DR
I purchased a 2001 Golf TDI with a 4spd automatic transmission not too long ago( I believe it is the 01m-FDB model). The car has approximately 187,000 miles and the transmission was rebuilt approximately 10,000 miles ago, which is the reason why I purchased the car, I figured since the transmission was repaired I wouldn’t have anything to worry about. I am definitely a newbie and could really use some help here is my situation:

Soon after I purchased the car I drove it from southern California to San Francisco as a way to test the car to ensure that it was dependable enough. I got to about 1 hour from San Francisco when the check engine light came on the dashboard. When I checked it, it showed P0740 TCC Malfunction. I cleared it and then the car ran good. Thinking back to the trip I remember it surging when going up a really steep portion of the 5 freeway (the grapevine), I haven’t seen it surge since but it does slip.

I decided to get the Vag cable to check for the more adequate codes. When I ran Vag-Com I got 01192 mechanical code which seems to be very common with these 01M’s. I read the 4 parts of the 01M by CoolAirVw, which are great, they established a baseline for my diagnostic work. I specially found part 3 useful because it seemed that it was the same problem I am having so I began to follow the same steps to diagnose the problem. I checked for slip using vag-com. The car definitely slips a considerable amount except when on 4th gear on the freeway. Aside from that the slip diagrams are a bit confusing given I don’t know what “Normal” should be. I just assumed 0-slip when at a constant speed wouldn’t be too much to ask for, but that doesn’t happen too often.

I began to pay closer attention to the engine rpms with relation to the mph speeds and found that they are somewhat consistent but not solid. What I mean is that they jump around a given area. From time to time it shifts hard to 3rd and that’s when I know the gear is in and I expect a less amount of slippage. I also found that when I am traveling up-hill the car slips a whole lot more, so much more that my wife knows its slipping (or running at much higher rpm’s). It doesn’t report an engine code but it does slip.

I changed the ATF and found that the ATF was dark ( I will attach picture soon), and I didn’t find any metal shavings in the magnet just a very thin film that appeared to be grease when I wiped it off with a shop towel. I looked at the valve body and it had an after market wire harness, not the flat-plastic ribbon harness that I see on the threads. I took a few pictures of the valve body and the solenoids which I will post in bit. The only thing out of the norm was that two of the four bolts for the ATF pan were stripped and would not torque down to the specified torque. I got them on tight but not to torque spec because they would loosen all together, I haven’t seen any oil on the driveway so I am assuming that it doesn’t leak fluid. I refilled the transmission following the correct refill procedure and drove the car. The car drove a bit better but not perfect. I took it up a hill and the slip was still there. As soon as the car feels a heavier load I can see the rpms increase.

Aside from all of the above the only other thing that might be worth noting is that the valve body harness is held to the car side using zip ties, its pretty tight ( I replaced them myself to double check). Not sure if this would cause a problem but I don’t want to leave anything out.

At this point I am not sure what to do next in order to fix the problem but I am open to suggestions. I have seen remanufactured valve bodies online but not sure if that will fix the problem. What else can I check/verify before I begin ordering parts or changing things? Could it be the torque converter? If so how could I check? Even though I have only had the car for a short while I love my car and want to have it running as close to OEM as possible. At this point I have averaged about 36mpg 50/50 driving, not sure if that is low or not, I am assuming it is a bit low because of the slip. I do have the transmission rebuild invoice, it states that a solenoid kit was used, not sure what exactly was done...too bad the warranty was non-transferable.

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thank you all!!

here are images of the valve body.

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Silly question: do you know who rebuilt the transmission?

You've been around here long enough to know the reputation of these not-so-wonderful 01M's...

Good luck!!!

Yuri.

PS: I assume you know that the most-often-recommended TDI-Guru in your region is Leonard Harview of Wild Rose Motors in Whittier...

tdifanguy

TDI
01 GOLF 4DR
I knew the reputation of the 01m tranny so-so which is why I thought it would be great to get a rebuilt one. Unfortunately it wasn't done so well. I have the invoice for the work, ill post some specifics when I get home tonight and am near it.

Ill note the guru, if all else fails ill give him a call. Typically gurus are worth their time in gold (which I don't have).
Thanks for the tip.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Great job on the info gathering. Have you looked at my website?

First of all there are no diagnostic checks to pinpoint why the TCC is slipping. When the valve body (VB) wears what happens is the pressure that is supposed to go into the converter to apply the clutch "falls" through the wear and into the pan. This is called a pressure leak. There are other areas that can leak the same pressure. There is no way a layman can measure this pressure and even if there was there is no way to pinpoint where the pressure leak is.

I'll bet when "they" rebuilt the trans they ignored the valve body entirely, as most who are ignorant of 01M do, which is part of the reason why they have the reputation of being un-rebuildable.

When you have a 01192 code you really only have 4 choices.

1. Assume its a stuck TCC solenoid, and try one. There are no diagnostic checks a layman can do to pinpoint a stuck solenoid, and any checks that a professional or I would do, are interpretation based and really not 100% conclusive. Its easier and quicker just to try a solenoid. FYI... I've never fixed 01192 code in a 01m with a solenoid.

2. Replace the converter. I've never fixed 01192 on a 01m with a converter either. But its definatly possible. In your situation your converter should have allready been replaced with the rebuild.

3. Replace/rebuild valvebody. I've had 100% success in fixing 01192 with this. Every one who has sent me a valvebody or brought me their car it has fixed their problem. Unfortunatly as I stated before and as my disclaimer in my website states, there are other areas of the trans that can create a pressure loss in the TCC apply oil circuit so the repair cant be garenteed.

4. Replace trans.

In your situation it sounds like a vavle body is a very good option. Let me know if I can help you with that.

Last edited:

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
I've been wondering lately if the 01M is really that bad. Or is it a victim of poor maintence and work.

For years I was part of the Dodge Neon community. Everyone hated the 3 Speed Auto that came in the 95-99 Neons. Lack of proper maintence was the biggest problem. People ran the wrong fluid(ATF) and never changed the oil and filter at proper intervals. Also during these times the bands were to be re-torqued. When I bought my Neon I actually installed a large transmission cooler and did trans oil changes with filter at proper intervals. I had no issue with this known bad transmission.

I'm just curious. I'd like to see some more information besides our Gurus screaming "Another one bites the dust" and other members barking 5 SPEEDZ SWAP!!

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
NB_TDi said:
I've been wondering lately if the 01M is really that bad. Or is it a victim of poor maintence and work.

For years I was part of the Dodge Neon community. Everyone hated the 3 Speed Auto that came in the 95-99 Neons. Lack of proper maintence was the biggest problem. People ran the wrong fluid(ATF) and never changed the oil and filter at proper intervals. Also during these times the bands were to be re-torqued. When I bought my Neon I actually installed a large transmission cooler and did trans oil changes with filter at proper intervals. I had no issue with this known bad transmission.

I'm just curious. I'd like to see some more information besides our Gurus screaming "Another one bites the dust" and other members barking 5 SPEEDZ SWAP!!
I had my 01M "serviced" (2005) by a prefered repair shop that is no longer in business,I believe the mechanic has a shop in town now under a different name.
All I had done was gear oil and filter change.
40k later I'm rebuilding it because th trans axle beraing was shot and growling.
So instead of rebuilding it with the odl parts that came out, I had everything replaced, valves bearings, TC, only the gears and switches were original.
So at 197,000k it was rebuilt, haven't touched it since 2005 except for a drive flange seal and it 's currently at 325,000 k, not even a fluid or filter change.
So NB I'd have to aggree with you on this one, mechanics don't all have the knowledge base or skill required to repair these types of transmission.

tdifanguy

TDI
01 GOLF 4DR
I agree with options #3 & 4. I am just wondering what the difference in cost and effectiveness will be. Could you post or pm me quotes?

Either way, I do believe that proper maintenance is the key for any transmission. You get your lemons here and there but in the end a transmission with proper maintenence should last longer. I personally believe that if you get 100k out of an auto you are on top. Manuals have always been more durable but that's at a loss of convinience.... you pay for the comforts of automatic driving in the long run.