Compressor wheel

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I've seen worse. I would send it to a turbo shop and have them clean up the edges and rebalance it.
What happend? No air filter ? Looks like a cold air intake pos pod filter was used.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I don't know what size your compressor wheel is, but there may be a newer style available with the same size profile. I do wonder where all the wear came from, and any decent turbo shop should be able to polish the comp wheel and rebalance it.

smoking

TDI
A5 3.0 TDI quattro + Golf II AFN + Golf IV ASZ
What happend? No air filter ? Looks like a cold air intake pos pod filter was used.
I have no idea, just bought the turbo. It doesn't seems to great for me i guess the hardest part now is going to find a replacement compressor wheel.

I don't know what size your compressor wheel is, but there may be a newer style available with the same size profile. I do wonder where all the wear came from, and any decent turbo shop should be able to polish the comp wheel and rebalance it.
The compressor wheel is 68/50mm, it would be nice to find something that won't need machining.

Last edited:

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
You can carefully grind a bit from the scrapes or just do nothing and put all together. Difference in efficiency or balancing is hardly measureable.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You can carefully grind a bit from the scrapes or just do nothing and put all together. Difference in efficiency or balancing is hardly measureable.
not even close, turbo shops are cheap for repairs, about $100 for the job to ballance. you can't just take material off and expect it to last.

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
not even close, turbo shops are cheap for repairs, about $100 for the job to ballance. you can't just take material off and expect it to last.
As I said, effect in balancing is hardly measureable, within tolerances. I'm not suggesting to take material off to smooth up those marks completely. Only if there are some small bits that may break away.