www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old February 9th, 2020, 16:16   #31
Nuje
Veteran Member

...and, having just driven my car up some little driveway ramps...scary af.

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, Adaptive Cruise retrofit
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2020, 05:01   #32
Z85rado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015Golftdi View Post
I already purchased a 2019 leftover itís a fx with the 1800cc rather than the 1050cc. I bought it late in the year for a better deal. I havenít ridden it yet which is horrible cuz I look at it in the garage everyday lol. That seems like it would be a good one to take your kid out on. I like going fast so I bought the middle of the road one.
I'm sure you'll have yours out before/if I pull the trigger. I had a polaris SLT 780 way back in the day and replaced it with an SLX 1200 which at the time was a 60MPH ski. I like the lightness of the EXR, i remember riding one of the early seadoo with a ton of power and it was so heavy it felt more like a boat.
Z85rado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2020, 04:17   #33
2015Golftdi

TDI(s): 2015 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoí15TDi View Post
I would be interested in your experience now that you have the tune(which I presume included the DSG tune).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I filled up with one tank on the stage 2 tune and it didnít seem to be as bad. It seems like the stock tune itís on now almost over fuels. Iím going to run a few tanks on each tune and pick the best overall economy and performance. I will let you know what I find out. I have a stock tune, stage one, stage two and stage three.
2015Golftdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2020, 04:19   #34
2015Golftdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z85rado View Post
I'm sure you'll have yours out before/if I pull the trigger. I had a polaris SLT 780 way back in the day and replaced it with an SLX 1200 which at the time was a 60MPH ski. I like the lightness of the EXR, i remember riding one of the early seadoo with a ton of power and it was so heavy it felt more like a boat.
I hope to have it out ASAP lol. Looking at it everytime I pull in the garage stinks. I have a feeling this one will be quite heavy on the water. I did just buy an older yamaha 760 just so I could have friends ride that and not tear up the new one lol. It was also a good deal.
Old February 12th, 2020, 04:20   #35
2015Golftdi

Back to the original topic, I ended up ordering a hitch from uhaul and am going to have them install it next week. It seems like the car should be able to handle it, but if it can’t handle the ramp I’ll just haul around my utility trailer.
Old February 12th, 2020, 21:56   #36
Unoí15TDi

Default Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015Golftdi View Post
Back to the original topic, I ended up ordering a hitch from uhaul and am going to have them install it next week. It seems like the car should be able to handle it, but if it canít handle the ramp Iíll just haul around my utility trailer.

I think if I can tow a Uhaul containing a heavy 5 cylinder Mercedes Diesel behind a Prius (from BELLINGHAM ,WA to LA) you should be able to tow behind your TDI.

Last edited by Unoí15TDi; February 12th, 2020 at 22:19.
Unoí15TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 15:28   #37
TDIForumMember1

Default Towing- potential drivetrain damage and emissions warranty

Hi all- I thought Iíd ask since this seems to be a pretty active thread. I now have a Ď15 Golf TDI (6 speed manual) and have been wondering about the towing rating on it. The owners manual- there are so many pages about how to tow, what to tow, how to hook up a hitch etc., but then the tow ratings for the manual transmission just say ďnot available at time of printing.Ē
It looks like someone did tow with my car in the past, I found a wiring harness in the trunk and a loose carriage bolt off of the rear frame. Anything I should be concerned about with the transmission? The clutch seems fine, the shift into second is a little clunkier than my Mazda, but Iíve heard similar reviews about the transmission...
And if Iím the future I did decide to tow, would that hurt the emissions warranty?
Also, itís been great reading everyoneís experiences with the car!
TDIForumMember1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2020, 00:53   #38
2015Golftdi

[QUOTE=Unoí15TDi;5571795]I think if I can tow a Uhaul containing a heavy 5 cylinder Mercedes Diesel behind a Prius (from BELLINGHAM ,WA to LA) you should be able to tow behind your TDI.

Iím mainly worried if the boat ramp is wet/slick if Iíd be able to get the jet ski up out of the lake. I donít think it will have issues driving through town or the highway.
Old February 18th, 2020, 00:58   #39
2015Golftdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIForumMember1 View Post
Hi all- I thought Iíd ask since this seems to be a pretty active thread. I now have a Ď15 Golf TDI (6 speed manual) and have been wondering about the towing rating on it. The owners manual- there are so many pages about how to tow, what to tow, how to hook up a hitch etc., but then the tow ratings for the manual transmission just say ďnot available at time of printing.Ē
It looks like someone did tow with my car in the past, I found a wiring harness in the trunk and a loose carriage bolt off of the rear frame. Anything I should be concerned about with the transmission? The clutch seems fine, the shift into second is a little clunkier than my Mazda, but Iíve heard similar reviews about the transmission...
And if Iím the future I did decide to tow, would that hurt the emissions warranty?
Also, itís been great reading everyoneís experiences with the car!
I have test driven a couple manual tdis and I didnít like the way they shifted through the gears compared to a gas car. It does seem like the last one I test drove had the same clunking you speak of.

As for towing with the manual transmission the hitch would be rated the same 2000 pounds. I donít think it would be any different than the automatic car. I wouldnít think it would effect the warranty if there still is a warranty.
Old February 18th, 2020, 06:24   #40
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIForumMember1 View Post
Hi all- I thought I’d ask since this seems to be a pretty active thread. I now have a ‘15 Golf TDI (6 speed manual) and have been wondering about the towing rating on it. The owners manual- there are so many pages about how to tow, what to tow, how to hook up a hitch etc., but then the tow ratings for the manual transmission just say “not available at time of printing.”
It looks like someone did tow with my car in the past, I found a wiring harness in the trunk and a loose carriage bolt off of the rear frame. Anything I should be concerned about with the transmission? The clutch seems fine, the shift into second is a little clunkier than my Mazda, but I’ve heard similar reviews about the transmission...
And if I’m the future I did decide to tow, would that hurt the emissions warranty?
Also, it’s been great reading everyone’s experiences with the car!
@airstreamer started this thread for his MkVI TDI Golf.

@DerekG also is in that thread with a MkVI TDI Golf (on about page 10 I think) Notice the picture in his sig

Jason
Old February 20th, 2020, 18:00   #41
2015Golftdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoí15TDi View Post
I think if I can tow a Uhaul containing a heavy 5 cylinder Mercedes Diesel behind a Prius (from BELLINGHAM ,WA to LA) you should be able to tow behind your TDI.

What size of rise do you have with your hitch?