New mechatronics, can't make it work

mudguy

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
New (used) mechatronics, can't make it work

2010 JSW TDI w/72K miles
DSG started leaking at the center seam due to some road damage. Also had some unresolved sluggish shifting. Installed a junkyard transmission from a brand new 2015 Golf TDI Wagon. Previous transmission code was LTE, new transmission code is QSD.
I had assumed I would be able to recode the newer mechatronics to work with the vehicle, and while I can communicate with it using VCDS (genuine) and see all sensor values, etc., it appears the ECM and TCM (and gear shift lever) are unable to communicate, and it will not accept a coding change from 0014 to the 0020 my existing unit had. I am assuming that something changed in the programming between 2010 and 2015.
I called the local VW dealer and they had no idea what I am talking about :eek:
I would prefer to use the new mechatronics unit. Is it possible to flash the newer unit to work with my car? Or to swap the circuit board from the old unit into the newer unit? I see some less than clear posts online that it is possible to read out the old unit and flash the new unit using KESS, Mini DSG, ODIN-E, and possibly some other tools? VCDS does not seem to have this ability.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You have the wrong transmission. They changed a few things for 2015 along with the totally different engine the trans gets bolted to, as well as much of the whole car.

I have found you need to always use the exact same code box, although there are a couple interchangeable ones on BRM cars.

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
2010 JSW TDI w/72K miles
DSG started leaking at the center seam due to some road damage. Also had some unresolved sluggish shifting. Installed a junkyard transmission from a brand new 2015 Golf TDI Wagon. Previous transmission code was LTE, new transmission code is QSD.
I had assumed I would be able to recode the newer mechatronics to work with the vehicle, and while I can communicate with it using VCDS (genuine) and see all sensor values, etc., it appears the ECM and TCM (and gear shift lever) are unable to communicate, and it will not accept a coding change from 0014 to the 0020 my existing unit had. I am assuming that something changed in the programming between 2010 and 2015.
I called the local VW dealer and they had no idea what I am talking about :eek:
I would prefer to use the new mechatronics unit. Is it possible to flash the newer unit to work with my car? Or to swap the circuit board from the old unit into the newer unit? I see some less than clear posts online that it is possible to read out the old unit and flash the new unit using KESS, Mini DSG, ODIN-E, and possibly some other tools? VCDS does not seem to have this ability.
I found your problem

mudguy

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
You have the wrong transmission. They changed a few things for 2015 along with the totally different engine the trans gets bolted to, as well as much of the whole car.

I have found you need to always use the exact same code box, although there are a couple interchangeable ones on BRM cars.
Wrong transmission or wrong mechatronics? Looking through the workshop manuals all the 2.0 TDIs I could find had the same DSG ratios. Although I could not find the QSD code in any of the workshop manuals I have access to (too new). So i'm not 100% sure of the ratios in the QSD trans.

I can put my old mechatronics back in - it still functions.

oilhammer

TDI
Wrong transmission or wrong mechatronics? Looking through the workshop manuals all the 2.0 TDIs I could find had the same DSG ratios. Although I could not find the QSD code in any of the workshop manuals I have access to (too new). So i'm not 100% sure of the ratios in the QSD trans.

I can put my old mechatronics back in - it still functions.
Wrong trans, wrong mechatronic unit, from the wrong car, that was bolted to the wrong engine. It is a very different car.

mudguy

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Wrong trans, wrong mechatronic unit, from the wrong car, that was bolted to the wrong engine. It is a very different car.
So in other words, I have the right transmission, but the wrong car.

I managed to find the ratios for this transmission, and you are absolutely correct, it is different....ugh

mudguy

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Ok, so this is likely a terrible idea, but I noticed that the DSG in the 2010-2014 2.0 TSI has the same ratios as this 2015 TDI DSG. For example: transmission code NJL.

If I were to flash it with the firmware from an NJL, what are the chances it would "work" - perhaps with some more fueling this could be a fun combo.

oilhammer

TDI
Set aside the ratios for a second, and realize the rest of the car is different, and it stands to reason that there are other differences in the transmission as well. It obviously is not plug 'n play.

Just find the correct transmission for your 2010.

Ssl04

TDI
06 jetta TDI & 2010 Jetta TDI
Transmission swap

So by any chance do you know if a LTE is interchangeable with a MFL? I purchased an LTE and received a MFL. I would hate to i stall it and for it not to work.

neo123

TDI
2.0 tdi passat
So by any chance do you know if a LTE is interchangeable with a MFL? I purchased an LTE and received a MFL. I would hate to i stall it and for it not to work.
bump:

Hi did the MFL gearbox work in the car which originally had LTE gearbox.