DPF plugged

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
https://owners.vwmodels.ca/tdiwarranty/

https://www.vwdiesellookup.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen2_Automatic_Final.pdf

The Extended Emissions Warranty period with this additional warranty extension will be the greater of:
• 10 years and 3 months or 123,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in- service date;
OR
• 4 years and 3 months or 51,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from date and mileage of the Emissions
Modification, except for vehicles offered for resale, in which case, from the date and mileage of the first resale
transaction after the modification to the first person who in good faith purchases the vehicle for purposes
other than resale

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Golf Wagon, 97 Golf Turbo Diesel
.... then it is still under the minimum 4 year / 48,000 mile warranty...
And (in Canada anyway) it is the GREATER of 4 yrs or 48000 miles after the emissions fix.
So 10 years and 40k would still be under warranty, as would 3 years and 60k....as I understand it.

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
And (in Canada anyway) it is the GREATER of 4 yrs or 48000 miles after the emissions fix.
So 10 years and 40k would still be under warranty, as would 3 years and 60k....as I understand it.
The US is that way, as well.

And they added 3 months and 3,000 miles to both of those for GEN2 vehicles (2012-2014), as referenced on the first page of the PDF that I linked above.

JWF

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI
dpf plugged

Thanks for the input. Dealer suggested that I contact VW customer service. They stated all was out of warranty due to mileage. Just over the 48K since the diesel upgrades were made. By about 10K miles. I am really concerned that all of these issues are results of the mods. We run the car hard so not sure why we would have the problems. All service has been performed by dealers. Seems to me that the mass of DPF shortage seems to be an indicator of a more serious issue. Sounds like VW has fixed the issue but now created other issues:confused:???
I can say that I think $150 for shop labor is ridiculous. I realize that VW does not likely control what dealers charge for labor or markup on parts but this is all causing me to rethink my future purchases. Thanks for everyone's input.

JWF

TDI
One other question.
Why would an EGR code below threshold lead them to the conclusion that the heater core was bad? I asked they really could not fully explain except that the heater was not blowing hot air to vents to defrost. Prior to service engine light, we had absolutely no issue. I told them to replace EGR cooler and then lets see if the heater works again. Thoughts?
How is the EGR related to the heater core?

JWF

TDI
A mechanic friend also asked had they checked the coolant level as related to the heater core. Says he has seen that occur on other brands of vehicles due to a very slow leak in the coolant systems. The engine temp has been consistent this whole time so not sure that would be the issue. He said he has seen that on other gasoline engine vehicles. Thoughts??

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
We had the emission recall done about 14 months ago.
They stated all was out of warranty due to mileage. Just over the 48K since the diesel upgrades were made. By about 10K miles.
So you did almost 60k miles in just over a year?

Personally, if you're out of warranty, I wouldn't have them replace the DPF/EGR. I'd just go the delete route. Like you've already noticed... these DPF's are dropping like flies in the post-fix world. No sense in paying to replace it only to have it needing replaced again in a year.

That's just me though.

JWF

TDI
What issues do you experience in bypassing these items? Where is information found on how to do this and what is required?

Alcohol

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I still get a lot of smoke when I really apply the gas pedal,,I t actually looks like smoke coming from anti freexe,,It is a white smoke,,some time the engine will die. but starts right back up,,once again back to the dealer,,I am getting real pissed about all the repairs,,even though there is no charge I still hace a 1 1/2 hour drive one way

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
2011 jetta..Got a tune ( Kerma q,loader) around 2000 miles ago (70,000 miles now) after replacing 3 dpf's.. More power, runs better than before fix!..and regens are right on target also..better....still under emissions warranty..will flash back to stock if dpf fails again and hope for the best.. if fails?..oh well..will do the delete..warranty wont last forever!!

'12TDITweaker

TDI
2012 Jetta Premium 2.0 TDI
Thanks for the input. Dealer suggested that I contact VW customer service. They stated all was out of warranty due to mileage. Just over the 48K since the diesel upgrades were made. By about 10K miles. I am really concerned that all of these issues are results of the mods. We run the car hard so not sure why we would have the problems. All service has been performed by dealers. Seems to me that the mass of DPF shortage seems to be an indicator of a more serious issue. Sounds like VW has fixed the issue but now created other issues:confused:???
I can say that I think $150 for shop labor is ridiculous. I realize that VW does not likely control what dealers charge for labor or markup on parts but this is all causing me to rethink my future purchases. Thanks for everyone's input.
JWF
I put something like 50,000 miles on a car each year, I purchased a 2012 Jetta with 129k miles at 160k the DPF light came on mid way through a cross country trip. It didn't seem to disrupt the car, therefore I continued home no issue.
Dealership took in the car, and following their procedures they replaced the intake manifold and my issue was somehow resolved.
Around 180k the light returned out of mileage warranty. I was also quoted $2900 but I didn't have to renew emissions for another year so, currently I sit at 215k lights on no issues.

Last edited:

shoestring

TDI
2014 Jetta
The oil return line leak I'd definitely want fixed, if actually leaking. Minor seepage over time is probably just that.

How common is it for the turbo oil return bolt to have seepage? I noticed my vehicle had a little going on but did not know how big of a deal it may be. Also how difficult is it to fix? I read somewhere that there should be crush washers there and maybe those have failed or are missing?

Thanks

p_ferlow

TDI
09' Jetta TDI Revo tune 6spd, 01' F250 7.3L "tuned"
Had the emissions fix done 3-4yra ago. Not that many kms. Check engine light can’t remember the code. Tell tale sign is black sooty oily exhaust tailpipe.

apparently it’s an egr issue which clogs dpf.

im wondering if the heater circuit is inline after or before the egr cooler if perhaps coolant flow in that circuit is low but that doesn’t make sense. I can see the exhaust side clogging similar to egr coking on MK4tdi.

The issue for me is if I replace dpf, if vw doesn’t revise the ecu software the new dpf is going to get clogged in a short time and here we go again. Seems ridiculous.